T-Mobile upgrading some 10gb plans to Unlimited

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My original plan was $10 for unlimited data, but that was with the original accounts my dad had and I took them over after he died. I moved one account two years ago and brought back the account a year ago.

I did get a promo plan, the 4 lines for $120, 5th line for $20 and each line has 10 gb of data and data stash.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
4x10gb for $120, plus 5th line for $20, each line has 20gb Data stash. I've only been with T-Mobile since December.
I have the same plan but with six lines. I've been with T-Mobile since they began supporting the iPhone back in 2013. Maybe it has to do with long term subs. I've always had multiple lines on my account.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
4x10gb for $120, plus 5th line for $20, each line has 20gb Data stash. I've only been with T-Mobile since December.
Ah.. It might be older accounts. One of my accounts my dad started in the late 90's. It is an old PowerTel account. My other plan I just brought back, it was a family plan. I always had one account with TMO so that could be the difference.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Why would data stash be a liability? snip My guess is reddit is guessing, as usual.

From the Q2 2016 earnings call (~22 minutes in,)

"For Data Stash, we now expect [a negative impact of] 3 to 350 million, compared to the prior expectation of 250 to $350 million."

It's a liability on the books because it's a paid-for, undelivered service.

with or without data stash, your data isn't limited, due to their no overages, which has been in place for a long time.

Pre-ONE UDP came with a 14GB high speed SMHS cap. Legacy DS allowed you to accrue >20GB into the stash and put all of your accrued stash towards high speed SMHS. So "de-prioritization" notwithstanding, you could tether 50GB off your phone if you had 50GB stashed, all at LTE or the fastest speeds available.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
With the recent promo plan that I am on, the10 gb plan allows you to accrue 20 gb of data stash and then you buy more data if you need more than 10 gb monthly. I pay 10 dollars with 10 extra gb monthly and still have 20 gb data stash. If you want to have 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 etc gb every month, you just pay $10 per 10 gb of data. That extra data can be a one time only thing or it can be reoccurring. As TMO told me last August when I signed up for the plan and transferred my second account back to TMO after being gone for 8 years.. All tiered data can be tethered at LTE, including data stash . So if I buy 500 gb extra for just one month and I have 20 gb on data stash, I can tether 520 gb that month. With my original TMO unlimited, you were throttled st 5 gb of data, tethered or not.

The data that is slowed and still able to be tethered is if I have 10 gb a month and 20 gb in data stash, I can tether all of that 30 gb at LTE. If I go over the 30 gb and don't call and purchase 10 gb more for the month, all data, tethered or not is still free, but it is just slower data.

It would be almost impossible for people to tether all their 30 gb of data though. To be able to tether 30 gb of data, you would need the data pass for 10 gb data. The phone uses a certain amount of data even if you don't get on the internet. So if they have one 10 gb data pass, their tether limit is 20 gb. Just like their unlimited for the older plans, they can only tether 7 gb of data.

Now with this deal, I get 20 gb a month right now and that will be my limit for tethering. My sister doesn't have the 10 gb data pass, so her tether limit is her line data limit, 10 gb. Unlimited data is always going to have a tether limit, that is a trade off for unlimited data. It also stops people from canceling their cable or and using free streaming and/or cheap steaming packages and using their unlimited data as their "cable". I understand why that isn't allowed. I considered getting a 6th line on the plan, getting about 3 data passes and using my mom's log on for her Uverse because I can watch live TV for several channels and then all the channels have on demand available online. If I could have gotten more than 20 gb in my data stash I would have done that and saved myself a lot of money. I was going to cancel my internet also. I would have saved more than I spent and even had better internet, because my internet is slow, the only thing I really do on it and my computer, is stream Netflix and other things, and the slow internet will steam fine. I use my phone a lot and if I need something that requires it to be really fast, I tether it.

But with this, doesn't seem like they are too concerned about people getting off data stash. First, you can opt out if you are picked. Second if you participate, when March 1, 2019 rolls around, you are put back on your plan, which includes the data stash. Like that pic I posted, my plan is "10 gb per line, with data stash". So you go back to it. If you want to have more than 10 gb to tether, simply add a data pass before they change the plans on the 23rd and you have more to tether.

Unless I'm missing something big, it seems to me they are trying to get everyone on one of the two new plans over trying to get rid of data stash. They have been trying to get me to switch my plan to the new plan. One line uses no data because he has a dumb phone, three usually never go over 5 gb and one is always less than 2 gb and one is about 3 gb. Since I'm the only one that uses a lot of data, it is cheaper for me to just pay for a couple of $10 data passes on my line. I'm the only one that ever uses it. My niece used it for the first time, this month. I would think there is a good chance that many people don't use it and it isn't keeping them from buying extra data. I knew I would always be over 10 gb or close to it at minimum every month, so I just did the data pass every month so I didn't have to worry. Everyone else in my family never uses their stash so it isn't like the data stash is likely keeping most from buying more data than the 10 gb that comes with it. Since you can opt out and if you don't, you go back to your original plan and don't lose data stash, seems like marketing for the One Plan and a win for the customers.

Seems to me that the majority of people don't stream even 20 gb of data monthly much less 50 gb so this would be a great deal for them for almost years. I don't have any sources to back that up, but there are always a lot of people that have never tethered and then a lot that have just a few times. I think they really want to push the new plans a lot because it is really is a good marketing thing.. "Only TMO gives everyone LTE unlimited, no extra charge.." Seems like unless someone tethers 20 gb every month, this is a good deal and has a good chance to get people to switch to One. There is something very freeing about never having to worry about a data limit, even if you rarely or never reach that limit.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe they definitely want to get people off data stash so instead of forcing 100% they give the loop hole of "you go back in. 2years" to try and comfort people. I guarantee during that 2 years they'll try and people to swap to the new plan.

Just like all carriers they want you on the latest plan.. Since they make tweaks that get better for them. They try so hard to get the off my 2 line fully unlimited for $100 a month but i won't budge. It's too good a deal. If they pull this force crap with me I'd leave.

At the end of the day though.. It's them trying to get the most. They're a business but it definitely is bad to say "you can keep your current plan" but then swap people like this where they have to take action to stop it. You should just offer and let them opt in.. Not have to opt out first.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I'm curious. I have not gotten a text, but it seems this MAY be something they will do with all accounts. Assuming that for a second. I'm on 10GB 4 lines. As long as I still got 10GB high speed tethering I'll be alright. Save for one thing. Binge On. Right now I can DISABLE Binge On and watch HD grade video. Which I've done a few times near the end of my cycle. (don't normally use 10GB and my stash is full. Might as well use that data). If people get switched to this, are they being forced to keep throttled video enabled with no option to turn off? Because that would suck....

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I'm curious. I have not gotten a text, but it seems this MAY be something they will do with all accounts. Assuming that for a second. I'm on 10GB 4 lines. As long as I still got 10GB high speed tethering I'll be alright. Save for one thing. Binge On. Right now I can DISABLE Binge On and watch HD grade video. Which I've done a few times near the end of my cycle. (don't normally use 10GB and my stash is full. Might as well use that data). If people get switched to this, are they being forced to keep throttled video enabled with no option to turn off? Because that would suck....
They don't seem to be doing it with all plans, they have denied some that wanted to participate.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If people get switched to this, are they being forced to keep throttled video enabled with no option to turn off? Because that would suck....

The option to turn it off by short code is still there for such people. However, TMO is resetting every one of these people to BO on, even if they had it turned off. So much for previously communicated choices.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still only got the upgrade notice on one line. I got the upgrade text on September 8th and online, all the lines still show the 10GB with data stash. It shows the current stash pass expires on September 2, 2017. Not sure what's going on here now.

donnajo62

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I got the upgrade text a few days before my husband got his. We have been with TMO for 15 years so we are definitely "grandfathered". Personally I like the upgrade. That's not to say I'll switch to the new ONE plans when the promo time is up. Just go back to my 10gb/line plan. I'm a big TMo fan. We have always had excellent service!

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the upgrade text a few days before my husband got his. We have been with TMO for 15 years so we are definitely "grandfathered". Personally I like the upgrade. That's not to say I'll switch to the new ONE plans when the promo time is up. Just go back to my 10gb/line plan. I'm a big TMo fan. We have always had excellent service!

How can you tell that you've been upgraded? I got the text on only one of my six lines and T-Mobiles website still shows the 10GB plan for each line.

donnajo62

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I noticed it still had the 10 gb on my lines too. Went back and read the web page and it said might take a couple of bill cycles to show unlimited.

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

T-Mobile hasn't existed in the united States for 15 years. LoL

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My plan was never upgraded even though I got the text message saying it would be. My online account still shows the 10GB plan today. I did go from 6 lines back down to 4 a few weeks ago and confirmed that the 4 line 10GB plan would remain in effect by dropping the two lines.

Not sure why I got the text message about the plan upgrade on one line only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood