Denver T-Mobile Outtage

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So in my area, we've had a service outage for a full 24hrs now. No phone service, no data, LTE or otherwise.

T-Mobile says there's 2 towers out, one is practically in my backyard and they say the outrage is due to fiber optics cable being cut. They say CenturyLink is in charge of that cable and is supposedly out working on that since 8AM today.

MY phone keeps alternating between band 2 and band 12. Band 2 gives me slow data service that is at least somewhat useable but as usual, band 12 is worthless as it was two years ago when there was an outrage and all I had was band 12. Half the people I work with have T-Mobile so so many of us couldn't use our phones to get anything done yesterday.

This is just annoying considering how much I love their service here.

It's not even a question here, just a rant. I'm extremely annoyed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah outages definitely suck. Especially when it's done by some company that started digging without looking and chopped a wire. They rush to fix it usually but it's never quick having to redo the wire.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Those two towers cover a huge area.

Tell me please, how is T Mobile's service, reception, speed and quality in Denver and if you know, in the mountain and rural areas of Colorado?

I see your posts here, have been with VZ for many years, I''m tired of their games with plans, billing, data. Their coverage is great... but their games... that's why I'm asking about T Mobile's. I don't want to save a few bucks, get more data and not be able to get reception and good call quality.

I live in an old neighborhood by Lowry, just east of Cherry Creek.

Appreciate your comments.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Tell me please, how is T Mobile's service, reception, speed and quality in Denver and if you know, in the mountain and rural areas of Colorado?

I see your posts here, have been with VZ for many years, I''m tired of their games with plans, billing, data. Their coverage is great... but their games... that's why I'm asking about T Mobile's. I don't want to save a few bucks, get more data and not be able to get reception and good call quality.

I live in an old neighborhood by Lowry, just east of Cherry Creek.

Appreciate your comments.
T-mobile has been the best carrier I have ever used. Even with the outage that is still going in at this moment, I have been very happy. The call quality has always been perfect and I think in four years of being with them, I maybe had less then five dropped calls. As far as LTE, it's only gotten better over the past two years. There are still a few small pockets where I can't get a data signal but those areas have gotten much smaller.

Can't say about mountain areas or the two areas you mentioned,I've never really been through there.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I called T-Mobile on Tuesday to find out why I still don't have service and this time, they said it is because they are upgrading a tower in my area. They said it could take up to 30 days to complete the upgrade

This actually makes more sense then telling me that a fiber optic cable got cut and they were waiting for CenturyLink to make the repairs.

Guess I have no choice but to wait. At home I can use WiFi and make calls that way but at work, there is no WiFi and my phone has no service there.

I was thinking of getting a prepaid sim from AT&T and using it this month. I have three unlocked S7 Edge phones as well as all my iPhones and Note 4 and Note Edge all unlocked. I can't get LTE or even 4G with AT&T at my house but at least I could get service at work.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I called T-Mobile on Tuesday to find out why I still don't have service and this time, they said it is because they are upgrading a tower in my area. They said it could take up to 30 days to complete the upgrade

This actually makes more sense then telling me that a fiber optic cable got cut and they were waiting for CenturyLink to make the repairs.

Guess I have no choice but to wait. At home I can use WiFi and make calls that way but at work, there is no WiFi and my phone has no service there.

I was thinking of getting a prepaid sim from AT&T and using it this month. I have three unlocked S7 Edge phones as well as all my iPhones and Note 4 and Note Edge all unlocked. I can't get LTE or even 4G with AT&T at my house but at least I could get service at work.

Did you say 3 S7es? Dang I'm jealous of your device stash.

Hope they complete the upgrade quickly!

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Did you say 3 S7es? Dang I'm jealous of your device stash.

How they complete the upgrade quickly!

Yeah, I have three. I bought two on pre-order in February. I only intended to buy one on pre-order but I was able to go on the website and order one at the end of February and have to overnighted before the pre-order even shipped. T-Mobile was supposed to cancel the pre-order then but shipped it anyways so I just kept it. I broke on of the displays on Christmas Eve and replaced it with a US unlocked Edge. I can still use the broken one because the display is only broken on the bottom near the home button and it will cost nearly $400 to fix, so I just bought a new one. I have four lines on T-Mobile.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
WOW no service for up to 30 days due to site upgrade. That doesnt seem right. Upgrades should take days. Thats a major inconvenience for people who work and live in that towers shadow. Something doesnt seem right to me with that.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
WOW no service for up to 30 days due to site upgrade. That doesnt seem right. Upgrades should take days. Thats a major inconvenience for people who work and live in that towers shadow. Something doesnt seem right to me with that.

It is the second story that I've been given. I'll call back Friday and see what's going in if I don't have service by then. Friday it will be a whole week.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I would for sure follow up and see if you get any of the same stories or a new one.
Im in Dallas, tower closest to my residence (3 years ago) was always great for voice but over loaded for data and i had terrible data services on it. I called and complained weekly. IT went through two phases of upgrades. First was the antenna and site upgrade. It was offline for a day or two for that. I went from full bars to 1 for a short time. The next was the back bone to improve throughput. The site was kept online while the work order was done and it took a full 4-5 months for that to happen. After that its been amazing. For it to be completely offline makes me think its a back haul issue. Otherwise they would scramble to put hardware up to make it work. Just my guessing.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah if I had no service for 30 days that would be a major issue with me.

It is for me as well. The CS rep I talked to yesterday seemed to play it down since I would be able to make WiFi calls at home. I don't get WiFi where I work and there still aren't a lot of places around town where I can just go and use WiFi anytime I want.

I'm heading to AT&T to get a simcard to activate a GoPhone plan for this month. I have to have a phone that gets service.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is for me as well. The CS rep I talked to yesterday seemed to play it down since I would be able to make WiFi calls at home. I don't get WiFi where I work and there still aren't a lot of places around town where I can just go and use WiFi anytime I want.

I'm heading to AT&T to get a simcard to activate a GoPhone plan for this month. I have to have a phone that gets service.

Did they even mention giving you a free month in terms of a bill? No way I would pay since no service.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Did they even mention giving you a free month in terms of a bill? No way I would pay since no service.

I'll talk about that with them when I call back on Friday. I have four lines with them. $142 per month is too much to pay this month when I can't even get service in my own area.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I could not conceive a Verizon tower going down for thirty days! What's happening with the TMOBILE tower is outrageous! 🙄

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe my luck. I went to AT&T and got a sim and activated with a one month GoPhone pass.

I get home, the sim works as expected.

As of the last few minutes, my T-Mobile service has started working. I just don't believe this.