Question about T-Mobile coverage

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I really want to switch to T-Mobile because my bill would be much cheaper. But I'm having a couple of reservations about making the switch.

I work occassionally in the dot and to the west of the dot on the map, and according to T-Mobile's legend, the area in the hash is "Talk, Text, and Non-LTE data".

First, what does "non-LTE data" mean?

Second, does T-Mobile still only allow 200MB of roaming data? I'd burn through that in 20 minutes using Google Maps! If so, how could I get more roaming data without having to spend an arm and a leg to get it?

Thank you for your help.Capture.JPG

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you want to test them I'd suggest getting the prepaid SIM from Walmart. That way you can test before you leave your current. If I recall correctly it's only 30 bucks.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you want to test them I'd suggest getting the prepaid SIM from Walmart. That way you can test before you leave your current. If I recall correctly it's only 30 bucks.

I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota and T-Mobile has amazing coverage here, but my job does bring me to rural areas on occasion and I'd like to have data in those areas.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
HSPA and HSPA+ could very well be 2G. TMO was supposed to refarm almost all 2G to LTE by EOY 2015, but since they didn't make any grandiose announcements about it I doubt they did complete the conversion by their deadline.

I would wait for their next SIM card sale (which drops them from $20 to $1-$4) and then get the PAYG plan for $3/day+data ($5/day for 500MB or $10/week for 1GB.) This would be the cheapest way to go if you want to evaluate native coverage. The $30 comes as a kit at Walmart and includes airtime+SIM, but I believe you must activate online.

Also, on that map I would zoom in as much as it allows you to around the dot. T-Mobile's maps can otherwise be highly optimistic. Roaming still is capped at 200MB.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota and T-Mobile has amazing coverage here, but my job does bring me to rural areas on occasion and I'd like to have data in those areas.
Ah yeah that could be troublesome. T-Mobile definitely is a metro carrier. They do work in some rural places but that's very rare compared to others like Verizon.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought. I think I'll stick with Verizon.

Thank you.

Since you're looking to lower your bill, consider Verizon prepaid or an MVNO. They have gotten competitive all of a sudden (by Verizon standards.) From Verizon itself, you can get a 5GB plan or a 10GB plan for $50 or $70, respectively; 7GB or 12GB through some Walmart exclusive. For Verizon MVNOs, take a look at Boom Mobile, PagePlus and Straight Talk.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Since you're looking to lower your bill, consider Verizon prepaid or an MVNO. They have gotten competitive all of a sudden (by Verizon standards.) From Verizon itself, you can get a 5GB plan or a 10GB plan for $50 or $70, respectively; 7GB or 12GB through some Walmart exclusive. For Verizon MVNOs, take a look at Boom Mobile, PagePlus and Straight Talk.

I was considering AT&T gophone. Does it really use the same towers as AT&T and does it get the same voice and data coverage as AT&T's postpaid plans?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was considering AT&T gophone. Does it really use the same towers as AT&T and does it get the same voice and data coverage as AT&T's postpaid plans?

Yes. GoPhone uses the same AT&T towers, so it gets the same voice and data coverage. Data speeds may be low in times of congestion because postpaid is prioritized over prepaid, but you shouldn't notice a change in coverage. But again, verify AT&T coverage is good enough around the dot.

But if Verizon is the best option, you have options other than paying Verizon's postpaid rates (if you're out of contract/phone is paid off, etc.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly TMO is actually working better than VZW at our rural house.
It can happen. At one of the pool halls I play at each week for league T-Mobile is way better inside. You get about 30 Mbps down on LTE inside.. Verizon gets 3g.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly TMO is actually working better than VZW at our rural house.

I live in a big city and surprisingly, I don't get AT&T OR Verizon service ar my house. I do get T-Mobile and Sprint.

I've been with T-Mobile for close to five years now and went back to prepaid after canceling my 4 lines/10GB data each for $120. I ported my main line and one of the others to the 100 minute/5GB Walmart deal.

I also have an AT&T prepaid that I opened last month when my T-Mobile service went out for 5 days. The problem of course as I said above, I don't get LTE or even usable 4G at my house. I'm thinking of keeping one of the T-Mobile prepaid lines along with the AT&T prepaid for when I am not at home. I like the AT&T service around my area. I just wish it was better at home or else I would switch to it 100%.

Years ago before I switched to AT&T for the original iPhone, I had Sprint. They were also able to get me service at my house and I never had problems with them. Recently I got an iPad Pro and tried out the Sprint service on it and was very happy with it here at home.

Good luck with your service, whatever you decide.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with your service, whatever you decide.

I travel often for work in the summer months and it's usually to rural areas, so I'll stick with my expensive Verizon data plan, as much as I'd like to get rid of it. I'd rather pay more and be almost guaranteed to have service wherever I go (except in the National Parks west of the Rockies) than pay less and only have 200MB of roaming data, which is quite absurd. Sometimes my projects keep me in rural areas for a couple of weeks at a time and I'd blow through 200MB of data in a day or two.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I travel often for work in the summer months and it's usually to rural areas, so I'll stick with my expensive Verizon data plan, as much as I'd like to get rid of it. I'd rather pay more and be almost guaranteed to have service wherever I go (except in the National Parks west of the Rockies) than pay less and only have 200MB of roaming data, which is quite absurd. Sometimes my projects keep me in rural areas for a couple of weeks at a time and I'd blow through 200MB of data in a day or two.
Verizon offers unlimited data tomorrow.. see if that'll work out for you.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Verizon offers unlimited data tomorrow.. see if that'll work out for you.

I'm paying $55/mo for 5GB of data + a $30 phone payment each month. Verizon unlimited is going to cost, at an introductory price, $80/mo, and that's with autopay. I shudder to think how much it'll cost after the introductory price and without autopay.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm paying $55/mo for 5GB of data + a $30 phone payment each month. Verizon unlimited is going to cost, at an introductory price, $80/mo, and that's with autopay. I shudder to think how much it'll cost after the introductory price and without autopay.

They said that the price is permanent for the people that snag the promo... so it won't go up for them. What it goes to when the promo period is over, that's anybody's guess. But I don't suspect it goes up much. It's already more expensive, per line, than T-Mobile's plan, jacking it up even more is going to just make that difference more striking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463