T-Mobile buys 45% of 600MHZ game changer spectrum.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/tmobile-spectrum-auction-win.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/www.droi...0mhz-spectrum-speeds-network-lte-verizon/amp/

The Un-carrier acquires 45% of all low-band spectrum sold – more than any other company – covering 100% of the US and enabling T-Mobile to bring real choice and competition to wireless customers in every part of the country
T-Mobile will begin using 600 MHz spectrum later this year, well ahead of expectations

The Un-carrier won 45% of all low-band spectrum sold, covering 100% of the US and Puerto Rico and enabling the Un-carrier to compete in every single corner of the country. T-Mobile walked away with a staggering 31 MHz nationwide on average,*quadrupling*the Un-carrier’s low-band holdings, for a total of $7.99 billion.
"With this purchase, T-Mobile now has significantly more low-band spectrum per customer than any other major provider and nearly triple*the low-band spectrum per customer than Verizon,"
47550d5cf38eea01af7a40be12f459be.jpg

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this takes them into all the areas where they don't exist yet. I would love it if they came to my region.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This is great news, but, comes just as I was considering upgrading our two 3rd Gen. Moto Gs to the latest generation, part of the impetus being to get Band 12 support with VoLTE and WiFi calling. There's nothing wrong with our current phones, and mine is only seven months old. But, still: Getting that B12 support would be real nice.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Only bad thing is, no phones will work on 600mhz yet. Not even the new S8. We won't see phones support this band until later this year. Sucks for me as I'm getting the S8 plus, but I want to upgrade before my V10 dies...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't freak out just yet. First, T-Mobile has to build in support for the new bands into their network. This isn't something that is going to happen overnight. The band 12 spectrum (700Mhz) that T-Mobile has been rolling out the past couple of years was obtained in 2008. Granted, their situation has changed recently and they'll most likely be FAR more aggressive in rolling that out into the field, but this is still something that is going to take a little bit of time.

We might not see phones that support this until NEXT year... The fall's flagships are already nearing the end of their development stage, so it might actually be too late to incorporate support.

Still, it's a BIG win for T-Mobile. But I am not so sure I would let it affect my purchase plans just yet... if you hold off until a supported phone is available, you might be waiting longer than you think.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
To think how far T-Mobile has come in the last few years.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...open-signal-best-network-verizon-tmobile/amp/
T-Mobile is now only 1.6% below
Verizon in terms of LTE coverage. And pretty much tied in terms of fastest LTE speeds. (note this test was conducted before Verizon re-offered unlimited data plans).
Since Verizon & AT&T recently brought back UDP their network speeds has already dropped on average
A collectively 14% in speeds.
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-...peed-gap-over-verizon-att-unlimited-plans.htm.
While T-Mobile will be possibly doubling their lte speeds.
T-Mobile’s advanced LTE network delivers mind-numbing speeds on the latest superphones as new data shows the Duopoly’s networks slowing – by up to 14%! – under strain of Unlimited LTE

Bellevue, Washington — April 21, 2017 —*What’s next is here—and it’s freaky fast. Starting today, T-Mobile customers with the latest smartphones can get*up to DOUBLE their current speeds*– up to gigabit-class speeds at the Un-carrier. That’s all on top of what is*already*America’s fastest LTE network.
And, while the Un-carrier just keeps taking the speed crown – recently notching the company’s 13th*quarter in a row as the fastest LTE network in America – Verizon and AT&T are*cratering*since they launched unlimited data. Verizon’s download speed has*plummeted*14% since they launched unlimited LTE – talk about a freefall! AT&T’s download speed followed suit and dropped 4% ever since they FINALLY got on board with offering all their customers unlimited LTE.
“Watching what the carriers’ new unlimited plans are doing to their networks is like watching a train wreck in slow motion – emphasis on slow,” said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. “This is what happens when you unleash unlimited data on a network that wasn’t built to handle it. T-Mobile’s network was built for unlimited, so customers can experience the Galaxy S8 as it was intended – insanely-fast and without limits.”*

Band 12 is still not fully deployed yet and now this huge haul of 600mhz spectrum?
I hope T-Mobile keeps this momentum going?
It's really an exciting time to be a T-Mobile customer for sure.

It will however, become a win win for all, as we should expect big Red & Blue to follow suit and start refarming or purchasing more spectrum and upgrading their equipment to offer better services to their customers.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
And pretty much tied in terms of fastest LTE speeds. (note this test was conducted before Verizon re-offered unlimited data plans).
Since Verizon & AT&T recently brought back UDP their network speeds has already dropped on average
A collectively 14% in speeds.
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-...peed-gap-over-verizon-att-unlimited-plans.htm.
While T-Mobile will be possibly doubling their lte speeds.
T-Mobile’s advanced LTE network delivers mind-numbing speeds on the latest superphones as new data shows the Duopoly’s networks slowing – by up to 14%! – under strain of Unlimited LTE

Do TMO's press release projections account for Verizon's UDP including unlimited HD video streaming and 10GB HS hotspot in the price? TMO removed both, charging extra now.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Raino,
Not sure how price would be a factor here ?
In every way T-mobile will be cheaper and have more features included when comparing both UDP's.Even if you upgraded to One Plus to match Verizon's current UDP.

When comparing the main features of the 2 UDP's it goes like this.

Verizon's UDP offerings currently includes 10GB LTE moblie hotspot and HD video streaming
for $80 dollars plus tax and fees for a single line then it jumps to $140 dollars +tax,fees
for 2 lines.

T-mobile currently offers single line UDP for $70 dollars flat rate.If you wanted the same
10GB LTE mobile hotspot and unlimited HD video streaming? Upgrade to One Plus for $5 dollars more each month or $75 flat rate.
For a 2 line UDP it would be $100 dollars flat rate.And again if you wanted to upgrade to One Plus for each line?it would be $10 dollars($5 dollars each line) more or $110 flat rate per month.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is now only 1.6% below
Verizon in terms of LTE coverage

This is massively false. T-Mobile's network is still essentially major metro markets only in the majority of states in the US.

As an example, in the state of Iowa, T-Mobile has service in the Des Moines market only (6 counties) and the rest of the state (93 roughly equally sized counties) have no service at all from T-Mobile. What they have instead is an affiliate, i-Wireless, who has some of the world's most horrible service and has "4G" (read as "garbage") (also, band 2 only) only in major cities and on the highways between them. So if we look at it by area, roughly 6% of the state is covered by T-Mobile and by population, 200,000 people out of the state's 3.1 million residents also accounts for roughly 6% of the population being covered by T-Mobile. The difference, 2.9 million residents uncovered, is almost half of the "1.6%" delta, and we're only referring to one of the 50 states.

Even if it was at the high end for states getting hosed by fake coverage maps, there are still 50 states and it'd be reasonable to assume that the other 49 states could easily make up for at least 10 times the rest of that delta, given that Iowa's total population is less than 1% of the nation's population.

Verizon still has more than double the subscribers of T-Mobile - and there's a valid reason for it. Because T-Mobile, as awesome as they're doing, still doesn't exist in any way for a huge percentage of the nation. All that said, as soon as T-Mobile does move into my market, I'd love to switch over to them. They just haven't yet.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Raino,
Not sure how price would be a factor here ?
In every way T-mobile will be cheaper and have more features included when comparing both UDP's.Even if you upgraded to One Plus to match Verizon's current UDP.

By making HD video and HS tethering a paid add-on now when it wasn't before, TMO is indicating that they don't want to be giving away this feature willy nilly. A burden is created/shifted onto the consumer to find the feature, add it and/or pay for it. That's quite an un-Uncarrier move; why couldn't they continue matching Verizon's base plan at a single price? Is it because they couldn't sustain the congestion it would bring when they decided to match/beat Verizon's UDP pricing? It's $5 now, but more importantly, it's an "add-on." Change the price of an add-on, and you can still claim your base plan is $70, "All unlimited. All in"

I take your point regarding 75 vs. 80, but keep in mind, the 80 is for Verizon's domestic network--which is still superior on a nationwide level, whether it be by 1.6% of whatever metric TMO uses or reality.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
This is massively false. T-Mobile's network is still essentially major metro markets only in the majority of states in the US.

As an example, in the state of Iowa, T-Mobile has service in the Des Moines market only (6 counties) and the rest of the state (93 roughly equally sized counties) have no service at all from T-Mobile. What they have instead is an affiliate, i-Wireless, who has some of the world's most horrible service and has "4G" (read as "garbage") (also, band 2 only) only in major cities and on the highways between them. So if we look at it by area, roughly 6% of the state is covered by T-Mobile and by population, 200,000 people out of the state's 3.1 million residents also accounts for roughly 6% of the population being covered by T-Mobile. The difference, 2.9 million residents uncovered, is almost half of the "1.6%" delta, and we're only referring to one of the 50 states.

Even if it was at the high end for states getting hosed by fake coverage maps, there are still 50 states and it'd be reasonable to assume that the other 49 states could easily make up for at least 10 times the rest of that delta, given that Iowa's total population is less than 1% of the nation's population.

Verizon still has more than double the subscribers of T-Mobile - and there's a valid reason for it. Because T-Mobile, as awesome as they're doing, still doesn't exist in any way for a huge percentage of the nation. All that said, as soon as T-Mobile does move into my market, I'd love to switch over to them. They just haven't yet.
Just now... I'm in a hospital where band 4 is only getting 1-2 bars if 4G LTE. I noticed the signal bars jumping to full bars. I opened lte discovery and saw band 13 (I guess it supposed to be 12)with 751mhz for download and 781mhz for upload. I have never seen band 12 in Honolulu up until tonight. I know it is still in testing because it won't lock on to band 12 for more than a minute or so. I also noticed that this happening at work the other day.
I can't imagine how much better T-Mobiles network will be in the near future once band 12 roll out is complete and then 600 MHz is implemented.

Doesn't make sense that Verizon would totally skip the 600 MHz auction while T-Mobile was a major player especially, with that amount subs Verizon has.
You know alot of people been knocking T-Mobile's network for years now.i believe with the results of the 600mhz auction in which T-Mobile has won an average of 31mhz of spectrum in every state. And continued purchases of band 12 spectrum across the nation. T-Mobiles network will be dare I say pretty darn impressive.

I believe these numbers in the article came from real world testing and not from coverage maps. Yes it could be random states etc? However, I'm pretty sure the testing was widespread across the nation. I doubt Open signal would just throw out numbers based off of coverage maps or just cities like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Raino,
The 1.6% was based on open signals testing which also was printed on Forbes website.

Your valid point taken...

The way i look at is...The 5 dollar upgrade to one plus is more a convenience for those who really want those features. Remember there are a lot of people out there that never tethers or probably dont steam Netflix in HD, etc.
So it is nice to have a choice not to have it and pay less. Best thing is you can add or remove this feature at your convenience it's your choice, your option.
I don't know about you? But I like to have choices if possible. I don't think it has to do with bogging down the network? If that was the case T-Mobile would have eliminated UDP's already. I'd like to see someone on Verizon call up their customer service and ask them to remove high definition streaming and the 10GB of high speed tethering because they will never use it and at the same time want pay less monthly?
I wonder what the csr response would be? "Mr.Smith,I'm terribly sorry but here at Verizon we are not able to modify the plan that your currently on. If you want a similar unlimited plan that you are able to select or omit features? You will have to change your service to T-Mobile. Have a great day Mr.Smith!"

Let's be real here,
T-Mobile is in the business to make money like any other company. So, I don't find it outrageous at all for a 5 dollar upgrade. Heck, haven't you ever super-sized your meal at McDonald's or got the drink and chips combo upgrade at subways for an extra cost?
I do all the time lol🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Open signal's testing is based on data from the consumers who have their app. A T-Mobile customer would then be a customer who already has T-Mobile, which means it is likely that they already knew they could have service prior to installing the app. They also do not differentiate between T-Mobile's native Network and affiliates, though they should, because the difference in some places is immense. As I said, I'm hopeful that this spectrum and their other build out plans will change the status quo - because I would love to switch to them, but the last 5 years has shown zero change in my area.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Open signal's testing is based on data from the consumers who have their app. A T-Mobile customer would then be a customer who already has T-Mobile, which means it is likely that they already knew they could have service prior to installing the app. They also do not differentiate between T-Mobile's native Network and affiliates, though they should, because the difference in some places is immense. As I said, I'm hopeful that this spectrum and their other build out plans will change the status quo - because I would love to switch to them, but the last 5 years has shown zero change in my area.
I sure hope T-Mobile lands in your area armed with carrier aggregation soon. Just last night I finally picked up band 12 here in Honolulu. The band 12 signal penetrated
Well into the hospital where I was visiting. I believe in Hawaii we currently have a total of 120mhz of aws and band 12 spectrum. And now T-Mobile will add another 40mhz of 600 band 71? Then you add in LTE-U, that sets up for some
Serious coverage and speeds.
3ecb81f619512a5b49db56eaa2d4b765.jpg

0e5d8b82e06e5af237995f466ac4942a.jpg

This is just band 4 in Honolulu right now

Last edited:

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Open signal's testing is based on data from the consumers who have their app. A T-Mobile customer would then be a customer who already has T-Mobile, which means it is likely that they already knew they could have service prior to installing the app.
That's not strictly true. We went with TMO because we believed they'd have our primary haunts covered adequately (they do). But we do travel some.

They also do not differentiate between T-Mobile's native Network and affiliates, though they should, ...
I don't understand why they don't. Certainly the information's available to the app?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why they don't. Certainly the information's available to the app?

Well to the T-Mo customer, they still get HSPA+ or LTE band 2 and their calls still work, so I'm not sure consumers would care, so I think that's why OS doesn't care. Not sure though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress