AT&T User Considering T-Mobile - Coverage Questions

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering the possibility of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile, but I have concerns about T-Mo's coverage. I'm a NYC resident and a former T-Mobile subscriber; I left T-Mobile for AT&T in 2012, due to ongoing data issues in my neighborhood. I understand that T-Mobile has drastically improved their urban coverage, but how is it outside of the city limits? I travel a few times a year, sometimes to comparatively remote areas, so reliable coverage is more important than speed (I'd rather have 10 Mbps downstream with a wide coverage footprint than 100 Mbps downstream in a few select areas).

So, in all honesty...how is T-Mobile's coverage outside of cities? Switching would save me approximately $500 a year, but am I really going to sacrifice the quality of service I'm currently getting to get these savings?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you can, I would get an account set up, and take it where you commonly go for the next few days. If it isn't satisfactory, you should be able to cancel with little to no financial obligations.

YouBlue_dev

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I never have coverage issues with TMO, but like Golfdriver97 said, you should get a phone and try it out for a couple weeks before cancelling your AT&T plan. I'm not sure how that would affect the ETF coverage, but you can discuss that with a rep.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
best is to try out a cheap prepaid to see how it is. I've had tmobile for a week and I love it. have no regrets and the coverage has been fine in nc,sc, ga and FL during my drive the other day. I've been to some semi rural spots and the coverage was fine. they really have improved a lot over the past few years

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I've had tmobile around 2 weeks now and it's been better than expected. I wasn't sure I'd end up on tmobile until a later date but am glad I switched to them. Their 600 once rolled out and phone supported should make a nice difference in rural spots. I think they will really level the coverage playing field eventually.

If I had to pick one complaint it would be their customer service. I get reps that barely understand English and they really struggle with what you are asking. That's not a knock to the reps since they are just trying to earn a living but it does make getting things done more difficult

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
We switched about 3 weeks ago. Been with AT&T for many many years but their costs kept going up and up yet features went down for what we were paying.

TMO will in the end save us about $50 a month (fam of 4 lines Unlimited plan).

However with all that being said, I have been quite frustrated with the spotty coverage I'm finding. We are in a larger town in the south with numerous towers etc. We aren't lacking in that department for the most part. However, when we finally got all set up, I went to my mom's house and we all discovered that we all either had "No Service" showing on our phones (2 Android, 2 newer iphones) or one of us might get 1 bar with no LTE. We were pretty disappointed. What's strange is the tower is less than 1/2 a mile straight up the road. Wit AT&T we at least all got around 2 solid bars with LTE.

At my office I used to get a decent signal with AT&T, maybe 2 bars but solid signal with LTE. With TMO, I had either "No Service" or maybe 1 bar with"Edge" service. Frustrating to say the least since both locations really need solid service due to elderly parent and of course work.

I'm finding that signal strength when in many local building that may not be super close to a tower causes me to have no signal, yet I see people all around me talking on their phones, which I'm guessing are AT&T.

So the jury is out still. All our phones are paid for and unlocked so I can bail if we need to, but I'm not willing to pay the highly overpriced rates AT&T wants, and I don't trust that Sprint can be a viable choice. Verizon too is a great service, but SO darn expensive.

So to OP, be careful. Ask around to see if friends/fam have TMO and like it or hate it before you jump.

Note: We ended up ordering the free signal boosters to help. The mini tower version of the booster works great. The 2 piece "booster" unit I got for work barely helps up the signal I may get 1 extra bar. At least they are free.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So to OP, be careful. Ask around to see if friends/fam have TMO and like it or hate it before you jump.

I would recommend testing for oneself; nobody knows the places you go to (coverage) at the times you go (congestion) better than you. But if that's not possible/feasible, yes, ask around.

All our phones are paid for and unlocked so I can bail if we need to, but I'm not willing to pay the highly overpriced rates AT&T wants, and I don't trust that Sprint can be a viable choice. Verizon too is a great service, but SO darn expensive.

You may want to look into prepaid options on the AT&T network: GoPhone, Cricket, Pure TalkUSA, and all those Tracfone, inc. options. GoPhone, for example, I know has a 6GB North America plan for $45.

Verizon prepaid is also getting relatively competitive now.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but having looked at those plans, they would cost me about as much as just going back to AT&T if not more based on the data plans we need for the 4 family members.

Same issue with Cricket etc. All end up being much more expensive.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but having looked at those plans, they would cost me about as much as just going back to AT&T if not more based on the data plans we need for the 4 family members.

Same issue with Cricket etc. All end up being much more expensive.

Yep .. just have to look at your individual needs and judge by what is out there. I know most hate Verizon due to "being so expensive" but I currently pay .. Well not 100% sure yet (more lines added this month) but it should be around $30-33 with taxes + fees for unlimited. I really can't complain :). I know not everyone will be in this situation but just goes to show how with certain situations .. It can be very affordable.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
the 5gb Verizon plan is a pretty good deal for their postpaid. very competitive for those that don't need tons of data. even vz prepaid is looking pretty good these days

I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile overall. Hopefully they continue to build and expand. Tmobiles billing seems a little hit or miss so hopefully their one plan takes care of that.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
We switched about 3 weeks ago. Been with AT&T for many many years but their costs kept going up and up yet features went down for what we were paying.

TMO will in the end save us about $50 a month (fam of 4 lines Unlimited plan).

However with all that being said, I have been quite frustrated with the spotty coverage I'm finding. We are in a larger town in the south with numerous towers etc. We aren't lacking in that department for the most part. However, when we finally got all set up, I went to my mom's house and we all discovered that we all either had "No Service" showing on our phones (2 Android, 2 newer iphones) or one of us might get 1 bar with no LTE. We were pretty disappointed. What's strange is the tower is less than 1/2 a mile straight up the road. Wit AT&T we at least all got around 2 solid bars with LTE.

At my office I used to get a decent signal with AT&T, maybe 2 bars but solid signal with LTE. With TMO, I had either "No Service" or maybe 1 bar with"Edge" service. Frustrating to say the least since both locations really need solid service due to elderly parent and of course work.

I'm finding that signal strength when in many local building that may not be super close to a tower causes me to have no signal, yet I see people all around me talking on their phones, which I'm guessing are AT&T.

So the jury is out still. All our phones are paid for and unlocked so I can bail if we need to, but I'm not willing to pay the highly overpriced rates AT&T wants, and I don't trust that Sprint can be a viable choice. Verizon too is a great service, but SO darn expensive.

Note: We ended up ordering the free signal boosters to help. The mini tower version of the booster works great. The 2 piece "booster" unit I got for work barely helps up the signal I may get 1 extra bar. At least they are free.

The boosters were free? Did they require any kind of deposit or anything to get one? T-Mobile works excellent for me but there is one spot a booster would come in handy

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
They didn't charge me anything. Free shipping too. You just have to tell them you have a dead zone that needs a booster. If you can, get the single unit cell tower that plugs into your router if at all possible.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
One feature I really miss that I wish TMO had was an app feature like AT&T had that allowed you to notify them via GPS/location where there were dead spots, no data, dropped calls etc. AT&T would gather the info and in several cases let you know when they upgraded the towers in the bad area or let you know when they would be expanding coverage.

TMO really needs something like that for their app. Speaking of their app, WTH is wrong with it?? I'd say 50% of the time I try to open it, it either logged me out (even when I checked box not to) or it crashes, or says it's "having issues today". Sheesh. Come on TMO, act more like you are the first class carrier your tout on TV!!

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
yeah I get the same issues with the app.

T-Mobile is working well now. The one issue I had was sim related. Got a new sim card and everything is smooth sailing. Looks like I'll be a TMobile customer for a long time unless something drastically changes

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One feature I really miss that I wish TMO had was an app feature like AT&T had that allowed you to notify them via GPS/location where there were dead spots, no data, dropped calls etc. AT&T would gather the info and in several cases let you know when they upgraded the towers in the bad area or let you know when they would be expanding coverage.

TMO really needs something like that for their app. Speaking of their app, WTH is wrong with it?? I'd say 50% of the time I try to open it, it either logged me out (even when I checked box not to) or it crashes, or says it's "having issues today". Sheesh. Come on TMO, act more like you are the first class carrier your tout on TV!!

Good luck on the app part .. I never found it to be useful. I just used the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non