T-mobile service in Chicago area?

Royalflush11

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Im thinking of leaving AT&T and was wondering, How is T-mobile's 4g coverage in Chicago? Are download speeds constant and what speed do you usually get?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Im thinking of leaving AT&T and was wondering, How is T-mobile's 4g coverage in Chicago? Are download speeds constant and what speed do you usually get?

Will you be staying in the city and suburbs? If so, you should be okay. They do have issues with signal cycling (like the complaints about the Thunderbolt on Verizon) which can be maddening at times.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It really just depends. T-mobile allows you to do a coverage check for their voice and data coverage so you can get a good sense of what your coverage would look like. Plus they offer a feature called wifi calling so if your coverage isn't super great somewhere but you had access to wifi then you can strengthen your signal with that. It's really a great feature that no other carrier currently offers.

lindel

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the NW suburbs (Elgin/Dundee area), and outside I usually get all 4 bars. In the house, I'll get 2 or 3 bars.

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
How is 4G coverage in Houston and DFW area? Coverage map shows that it's good, but nothing compares to real-life reviews.

Thanks,
Anthony

djdanska

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I use t-mobile in the chicago area and don't have much issue with them. I get 4-6.5Mb/s on my hd2 and slightly faster on my dell streak 7 with hspa+. Ping times around 50ms or so. Constant speeds. The 3g and 4g network doesn't really go past the outer suburbs though. Once you go west of plano, IL your in edge. (Although 88 has mixed 3g all the way to dekalb).

In kane and dupage, i have no problem. I always have signal. Minor signal issues near the noodles and company in oak brook terrace but i think they put up a new tower.

My only negative is the horrible coverage in the L. The red and blue line signal blows. I can't ever send text messages and don't bother with data. Between stations you lose all signal. Worthless. (And is 2g).