Upgrade to G2X or wait?

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I am getting off the Sprint network and selling my HTC EVO that I've had for a year since launch.

I still have an active line on a family plan that I am getting back on that is due for a full upgrade. I was really wanting the Samsung Galaxy S2, but no telling when it will actually be released on TMO.

My dilemma is that I have two choices after selling my EVO:

1.) Buy a Samsung Galaxy S 4G with the funds from the EVO and save the upgrade (no telling when the SGS2 will be released).

2.) Use my upgrade on a G2X and be happy with it for the next 2 years.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

FYI, after owning the EVO, I will never in my life own another HTC product.

Thanks,
Anthony

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
it might be free this wednesday at 9pm PT or 12am ET so wait till then and decide. it wouldn't be a bad choice if it was free cause there are mostly positive reviews. if only i was eligible for an upgrade.

Twitter / T-Mobile USA: Our next Web Only After Ho ...

Thanks for the update. I read about that the other day but TMO never responded whether the deal is for new accounts and/or upgrades. I've tried searching around but no definite answer as of yet.

I assume the Insomnia sale is a online only deal, but the G2X is not listed under the "Upgrade phone/device" list. Anybody familiar with these sales that can comment on it?

Thanks,
Anthony

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I read about that the other day but TMO never responded whether the deal is for new accounts and/or upgrades. I've tried searching around but no definite answer as of yet.

I assume the Insomnia sale is a online only deal, but the G2X is not listed under the "Upgrade phone/device" list. Anybody familiar with these sales that can comment on it?

Thanks,
Anthony

fine print from tmobile
"To qualify for the instant discount, you must activate the product on a new line of service with an Even More™ rate plan on a two-year service agreement. Even More™ Family Plans may qualify for up to five instant discounts."
source

i guess cancel your current line and add a new one to get the special promotion?

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
fine print from tmobile
"To qualify for the instant discount, you must activate the product on a new line of service with an Even More? rate plan on a two-year service agreement. Even More? Family Plans may qualify for up to five instant discounts."
source

i guess cancel your current line and add a new one to get the special promotion?

I cannot cancel the line since the account is still on contract until 2/2012. But my line has not had a phone upgrade for 80 months. I called T-Mobile to see if I could get the g2x for free since I have not upgraded in such a long time but it was a no go. Should I call again to see if another rep would allow it? Or will it just be a lost cause?

Thanks for the help!
Anthony

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I cannot cancel the line since the account is still on contract until 2/2012. But my line has not had a phone upgrade for 80 months. I called T-Mobile to see if I could get the g2x for free since I have not upgraded in such a long time but it was a no go. Should I call again to see if another rep would allow it? Or will it just be a lost cause?

Thanks for the help!
Anthony

Lost cause. T-mobile is VERY rigid with upgrades so you won't get anywhere.

Just curious, but why do you hate HTC so much? The Sensation is coming out and it will be a very good device.

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Lost cause. T-mobile is VERY rigid with upgrades so you won't get anywhere.

Just curious, but why do you hate HTC so much? The Sensation is coming out and it will be a very good device.

Thanks. I ended up picking up a G2X the next day from Costco for $100 upgrade. Hopefully when the new stock comes out I can exchange it since I do have a little light bleed.

I dislike HTC due to their poor quality control on the EVO when it first came out. The G2X seems to only be plagued with a little light leakage and software bugs, but the EVO was straight out crap. I received my EVO at launch and it already had a slight hotspot and a little light bleed..I could not exchange it due to backorder. Hotspot and light bleed got worst..glass started lifting and dust got underneath. Back cover was not fitted correctly and squeaked. I believe the EVO went through 4 different screens since launch and the color difference are drastic. Bad experience, and although my first HTC product, it will now be my last. Not to mention the pathetic WiMax via Sprint also contributed to the bad experience. In a big city like Houston, TX, I could barely lock onto a WiMax signal...and when I did..the max was 6Mbps and I watched my battery percentage drop 1% per minute.

The G2X is rock solid compared to the EVO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463