Solution for AT&T Nexus slow charging ?

ranpkri55

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Newbie here. Decided on nexus after quite a bit of research on android phones.
Got a used Google nexus At&t off ebay from a guy in Canada. Has Android 2.3.6. This is my first smartphone :).

Followed the sticky and installed some must have apps and phone works great. But.. noticed the charging is extremely slow. ( Overnight wall charging for ~7-8 hrs, and phone battery went from 10% to around 70%). The battery drains pretty fast too. :(

Read a few threads and realised I am not the only one with this problem on nexus. Mine seems to be one of the worse cases though.

So what could be the problems ?
1. Weak battery ? its a used phone.
2. Weak charger ? stock charger is 0.7A. Some people said use a 1A charger. Which one should I buy ? Chargers on ebay did not mention power ratings !

kmudrick#AC

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You could try reaching out to samsung support for repair since it is still under warranty. Be prepared to be without your phone for weeks though, and all they might do is re-flash GB on the first "repair" attempt.

ranpkri55

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The phone is not under warranty. I got a used phone from ebay.
Any other suggestions guys ?

Should I try replacing the charger/battery ?
Some people good better results with a 1A charger (stock charger is 0.7A). I can maybe buy one of those chargers ?

anthony81586

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
First off, why is the phone still on gbread? Get it up to ICS, as the latest software and no UI overlay are two major selling points for the gnex. As far as the the battery goes look up ways to do a standard battery drain test then charge, I can't remember what the standard recharge rate is but it should not take 7-8 hours lol. You can always buy a replacement battery and save the receipt if it doesn't work out, i suggest the same for the charger...sorry i can't b more help

Edit: i just re read what i wrote and if i came off like a Dick, i didn't mean to lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sropedia

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Samsung chargers are notoriously slow. Maybe not as slow as what your reporting but going with a different charger should definitely help

anthony81586

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought they ask charges the same which was at 5volts? I use an Apple charger at work and it's still slow. I think the problem lies more on the battery side and the micro usb. What do you guys think? Also if it's def the charger, can you tell which charger? Thanks

ranpkri55

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved!

It was the USB cable that was the culprit in my case. The guy I got the used phone from had shipped some HTC USB cable alongwith my Samsung charger. Used a friends samsung OEM USB cable and phone charges fully in 3-4 hours now.

@anthony: I want to try ICS but I am new to Android; hence just beginning to read up on rooting/custom roms etc. College keeps me busy, so dont get much time.
I will do it once I am more confident about what I am getting into.

anthony81586

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved!

It was the USB cable that was the culprit in my case. The guy I got the used phone from had shipped some HTC USB cable alongwith my Samsung charger. Used a friends samsung OEM USB cable and phone charges fully in 3-4 hours now.

@anthony: I want to try ICS but I am new to Android; hence just beginning to read up on rooting/custom roms etc. College keeps me busy, so dont get much time.
I will do it once I am more confident about what I am getting into.

Good to hear about the charger, I'll definitely have to look into mine then.

With the ICS thing, it should've been an official update, so you shouldn't need to root. I haven't rooted, I'm on Verizon. Maybe I'm way off here lol