So...who's getting this?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Assuming this IS actually announced in a week, who thinks this will be their next phone? It's likely the best phone on AT&T, and unless they pull out a Nexus in the next month or so, will probably be the phone to replace my Cappy.

Anyone else excited?

JayPhill89

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi Larry long time no chat :p

I'm also thinking about replacing my Captivate with this assuming its announced Dec 1st. I was surprised to see the resolution was the exact same on the Skyrocket as on the Captivate, very disappointing. The 720p display on this definitely caught my attention.

Right now I'm waiting to hear what kind of battery life it gets, it's not SAMOLED like we're used to. And also it has a higher resolution than the Skyrocket. I'd like to think that means it requires more graphics processing power and therefore more battery power than the Skyrocket.

Oh and 4gb of internal storage is a bummer compared to 16gb from Samsung. What are your thoughts?

iJITSU

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll be checking it out and if the screen is a good as suggested, I'll be buying it. Now, whether I keep it will be determined by its performance, battery life, etc. Very interested in seeing the screen. 720p and "true IPS" should be interesting. My two favorite screens are the super AMOLED Plus on the recent Galaxy S II models and the IPS screen on the iPhone 4/4S. There is no question that the screen is HD, so the question becomes how do colors play out, viewing angles, etc on the IPS.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Larry long time no chat :p

I'm also thinking about replacing my Captivate with this assuming its announced Dec 1st. I was surprised to see the resolution was the exact same on the Skyrocket as on the Captivate, very disappointing. The 720p display on this definitely caught my attention.

Right now I'm waiting to hear what kind of battery life it gets, it's not SAMOLED like we're used to. And also it has a higher resolution than the Skyrocket. I'd like to think that means it requires more graphics processing power and therefore more battery power than the Skyrocket.

Oh and 4gb of internal storage is a bummer compared to 16gb from Samsung. What are your thoughts?

The resolution is my main reason for avoiding the Skyrocket. WVGA at 4 inches us fine. At 4.5, not so much.

I agree about the battery issue, but there's a good chance it has a heaping battery in it (plus I'm going to get like 4 extras anyway :p). Supposedly the specific Snapdragon in this phone is really good with battery, so that should help.

The storage isn't a big deal to me. It would be better to have more internal, but I'll probably pick up a 32 gig card and never get close to filling it up. My only issue with this phone is updates (hopefully it gets CM and I don't have to worry about it). I'd much rather have the Galaxy Nexus, but unless it comes to AT&T with LTE, this looks like the best option.

Sent from my Captivate

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll be checking it out and if the screen is a good as suggested, I'll be buying it. Now, whether I keep it will be determined by its performance, battery life, etc. Very interested in seeing the screen. 720p and "true IPS" should be interesting. My two favorite screens are the super AMOLED Plus on the recent Galaxy S II models and the IPS screen on the iPhone 4/4S. There is no question that the screen is HD, so the question becomes how do colors play out, viewing angles, etc on the IPS.

The IPS screen on the Touchpad looks great. The blacks aren't as dark as SuperAMOLED, but the viewing angles and color clarity are great. I'm pretty sure LG makes the iPhone screens, so this display should be up to that quality.

Sent from my Captivate

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am using the Iphone 4S surprisingly, and well I was using android previously as well as WP7, and I am wanting to get this phone and return the Iphone which I purchased on the 14th and well I got until Dec 14, now I was wondering if it is the right decision to go for this device? or should I wait until quadcore? the IPS HD Display tickles my fancy, I want to see and compare to the Iphone, and to tell you the truth the 3.5 inch screen is a little bit small from what I'm used to, let me know if this is the device to get this year? or maybe another device?.

the Iphone 4S is ok device, and the 4 actually open websites faster on the same network. the camera is really nice and all, but I dont take that many pictures, and Siri is a nice assistant, and translate the language nicely, but google voice is just as good for texting and all, and well the Iphone Navigation are a complete dissapointment, nothing compares to google navigation so far.

Let me know which is the device to get thanks.

spaceboyusa

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I was a long-time iPhone guy and bailed on 11/6 for the HTC Vivid. I never made it to the 4s as I was tired of getting laughed at for how small my 3.5" display on the 4 was so...as soon as the 4s was announced stuck in the same form fact, I knew it was time to go.

While mostly happy with the Vivid (first one I'm pretty sure had a battery/charging issue that the second one seems to have resolved), the battery life is currently the biggest pain to me since it is so different from the iPhone (honestly hardly ever had to worry about being caught without a charger on it, but worry about that a bunch with the Vivid). The Nitro HD is intriguing to me since it has the better specs and comes with a larger battery. While some of the Bell Canada-based reviews on the Nitro HD mention battery life being totally sucky, if it's not that much worse than the Vivid, then I'll probably take my Vivid back and go Nitro. I'm okay with LG not having the street cred of HTC and Sammy, as to me it's all about the 720p goodness on a 4.5" form factor that has me intrigued.

I plan on being at the local AT&T store on 12/4 and run some side by side comparisons between the Vivid and Nitro, and hope that some more detailed battery test results are available prior to making a final decision.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks for sharing your experience making my decision easier, I will also go to the store and compare screens with the 4S and will probably exchange it.

drits

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
This is a great phone. Been using it for a couple of days now. Quick run down-

Pros- Awesome screen with great video quality/resolution, great camera, impressive UI( never thought I would like an LG android phone.) Weight and size is also good. Have not had much time to play with the video recording.

Cons- I believe battery life is about average but may end up being a con, its always hard to tell at first. There may be a slight lag in the phone when jumping from app to app, but I know the processor should be able to handle these sorts of actions so we will see on that.

I am really liking this phone a lot, and in my personal opinion it kills the Samsung line up. AT&T's best android phones are this and the HTC Vivid. Either one would be a great choice.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting rid of my Skyrocket for this on Sunday. I can't wait!!! Looks very promising. Can't wait to see that HD screen.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I will be getting rid of my Skyrocket for this on Sunday. I can't wait!!! Looks very promising. Can't wait to see that HD screen.

lol you are right I can hardly wait for this to come out, and return the Iphone 4S <.< I know not the best choice, but a friend convinced to go to iphone after i used android for almost a year, and was a let down heh.

jldoom

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at this as soon as it was announced ONLY because of the better resolution. I'm happy with my skyrocket now, and there's no LTE yet anyways in my area, so it wouldn't even be useful in that regard. The Internal memory is definitely handy, as I had an 8gb SD card from my previous phone but it's almost full with all the junk I have on it lol.

Funny thing is I just got my Skyrocket and I have until the 5th of December to decide (Within the 30 days of return).

I'm going to check it out, see if the difference in the screen resolution really bothers me, and decide.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing is I just got my Skyrocket and I have until the 5th of December to decide (Within the 30 days of return).

I'm going to check it out, see if the difference in the screen resolution really bothers me, and decide.

Same exactly for me, what good timing the LG is coming out eh? Haha

drits

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Checking back cause I posted a couple of days ago about the phone(been carrying it for 4 days now). This phone is so sick.. the screen... I could talk for days about the screen on this thing its impressive. I took a video today and was in awe at the quality. I continue to dig the UI that LG has put into the phone, everything works great no bugs so far.

Battery life is doing pretty good. Streamed a couple of albums with google music while at work today over a bluetooth connection to a Jambox, was texting quite a bit, and played a game for a little while. Phone made it through the day, and then I gave a boost right before leaving work and was streaming music/texting at the gym for another couple hours.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update! Keep us posted as I am very interested in this phone, but put off a bit by all the negative talk towards LG...

Checking back cause I posted a couple of days ago about the phone(been carrying it for 4 days now). This phone is so sick.. the screen... I could talk for days about the screen on this thing its impressive. I took a video today and was in awe at the quality. I continue to dig the UI that LG has put into the phone, everything works great no bugs so far.

Battery life is doing pretty good. Streamed a couple of albums with google music while at work today over a bluetooth connection to a Jambox, was texting quite a bit, and played a game for a little while. Phone made it through the day, and then I gave a boost right before leaving work and was streaming music/texting at the gym for another couple hours.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait to get this. Saw the new videos posted from NY last night...looks smooth, overall awesome. The screen...I can't wait! Thing looks like the best screen ever.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got mine today. traded in the Vivid. The display is gorgeous and it seems the camera isnt to shabby either. :D

Can you run a antutu benchmark please? I went to look at it today and was impressed. They had it on wifi instead of LTE (In DFW). I could not download antutu benchmark from the market.

I played with it for about 15 minutes. My impressions were favorable!

1. Liked the form factor, was a hair taller and a hair thinner than the SR. Very light and I liked the texture on the back cover. They had three different cases that I saw. A speck, body glove and ballistic case.
2. The UI was fine and reminded me of Touchwiz.
3. The screen is gorgeous! The higher resolution means the icons and print from websites is smaller but you can adjust and zoom. The print on websites is superior to the SR. Pinch to zoom worked very well.
4. The GPS worked well and locked on my location indoors in a few seconds.
5. The camera was superb! Very clear pictures and very nice video!
6. If you are used to the Samsung UI you are familiar with this UI as they are very similar.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the actual operation of the phone and battery life etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE