Why so little attention to this phone?

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So I'm a little confused - this phone seems to me to be the closest competitor to the Galaxy Nexus and even has some better specs (better screen, arguably better camera, internal micro SD), the only major difference I can see right now is ICS.

Why is this phone receiving so little attention? If it came preloaded with ICS I think people would be frothing at the mouth to get it. Does LG have a bad rep with phones? I have read they are very bad at updates, but then what company isn't? They have stated that this phone will get ICS early next year, so I am not sure why more people aren't looking at this as a contender?

Just an observation...

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So I'm a little confused - this phone seems to me to be the closest competitor to the Galaxy Nexus and even has some better specs (better screen, arguably better camera, internal micro SD), the only major difference I can see right now is ICS.

Why is this phone receiving so little attention? If it came preloaded with ICS I think people would be frothing at the mouth to get it. Does LG have a bad rep with phones? I have read they are very bad at updates, but then what company isn't? They have stated that this phone will get ICS early next year, so I am not sure why more people aren't looking at this as a contender?

Just an observation...

you know I thought the same thing, this is right now one of the top phones on AT&T and HD Display I want to see this at the store and get it heh :D

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I think it's because all of the tech bloggers are still frothing at the mouth over the Nexus and as a result a lot of phones are getting a raw deal in reviews and stuff. While AT&T MAY get a subsidized version of the GN, it wont be until sometime next yearbut int he meantime a lot of good phones are being ignored.

The Vivid (aka Holiday), is another great handset but some blogs don't even realize the phone has actually been released and is another strong comparator to the GN

rsohne

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up today. I am not sure why people hate LG so much. Its like the same contempt the bloggers have for Nokia.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I picked one up today. I am not sure why people hate LG so much. Its like the same contempt the bloggers have for Nokia.

The hardware is excellent but a lot of people hate the skin for some reason, even though you can easily instal Launcher Pro or some other launcher if you so desire. If Verizon were not getting their own version of it I would have gotten this phone, really like the Thrill.

They also also behind on upgrading the software on their phones.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
People will release how good this phone is. I love it...Sure it might not be the fastest, best camera or best battery life, but it is a damn good phone!

Can't wait to see it with ICS

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The hardware is excellent but a lot of people hate the skin for some reason, even though you can easily instal Launcher Pro or some other launcher if you so desire. If Verizon were not getting their own version of it I would have gotten this phone, really like the Thrill.

They also also behind on upgrading the software on their phones.

People dog lg for their quality, but their high end smartphones are some of the better made out there. Their skin is meh, but that's because its so overdone. It'll be interesting to see what happens with ICS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
most wont compare to a Nexus cus the Nexus is a Google phone and a developer phone where the Nitro is not.

also, most regard the lack of polish and poor battery life as deal breakers. i feel the same. big loaded phones like this come at their own cost like size, battery, complexity, etc. a Nexus phone can compensate for those type of issues with a strong dev movement where the Nitro cannot.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
People will release how good this phone is. I love it...Sure it might not be the fastest, best camera or best battery life, but it is a damn good phone!

Can't wait to see it with ICS

Actually I think the camera on this phone one of the best I have used and as far as fast gos it is comparable to the RAZR and Nexus. Any difference is minimal.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
most wont compare to a Nexus cus the Nexus is a Google phone and a developer phone where the Nitro is not.

also, most regard the lack of polish and poor battery life as deal breakers. i feel the same. big loaded phones like this come at their own cost like size, battery, complexity, etc. a Nexus phone can compensate for those type of issues with a strong dev movement where the Nitro cannot.

With all of the changes that Google has made to ICS each OEM is going to have to more or less start from scratch with their skins and decide what they are going to do:

1. Scrap the skin and basically go with stock ICS (unlikely in most cases, they have put a lot of effort into their skins and made them unuque and will not want to throw that away, also they will not want to remove the added functionality they have added for fear of frustrating customers who actually use the features of the old version)
2. Put their skin on top of ICS ignoring all or almost all of the improvements (unfortunately this is the most likely in a lot of cases because it will allow them to release updates faster than option 3)
3. Merging the existing skin with ICS keeping the best elements of each (this will take the most time but is the best overall solution especially for updated devices, but they may buckle to update pressure and do option 2 because it is easier and faster).

I believe Droid800 was curious as to what way LG is going to go.

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Do your self a favor, don't let others tell you what is great. The nexus is a good phone, but far from the best..it has ICS and that is about it, no removable sd card, terrible speaker, terrible signal problems, no gorilla glass..the list goes on..but because it's google with no locked bootloader, the " geeks" are going crazy about it. There are plenty of great devices out..and plenty more to come..it is a shame they aren't getting the coverage they deserve.

Reactions: YourMobileGuru

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Do your self a favor, don't let others tell you what is great. The nexus is a good phone, but far from the best..it has ICS and that is about it, no removable sd card, terrible speaker, terrible signal problems, no gorilla glass..the list goes on..but because it's google with no locked bootloader, the " geeks" are going crazy about it. There are plenty of great devices out..and plenty more to come..it is a shame they aren't getting the coverage they deserve.

agreed, but the fact remains... most of us around here are indeed the geeks to whom you're referring. ;p

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It's a great phone. I have used it for a bit and its great. The skin reminds me of a go launcher theme. I don't like it but install a launcher and find s theme that works good for you. This phone will contine to get overlooked. Even more so now that at&t is releasing 6 New devices. Note, skyrocket hd, Sony ion as far as android. Those are looking great and will most likely make this LG nitro get even less praise and less people willing to purchase it.

AllstarE4

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
It's a great phone. I have used it for a bit and its great. The skin reminds me of a go launcher theme. I don't like it but install a launcher and find s theme that works good for you. This phone will contine to get overlooked. Even more so now that at&t is releasing 6 New devices. Note, skyrocket hd, Sony ion as far as android. Those are looking great and will most likely make this LG nitro get even less praise and less people willing to purchase it.

This is true. This will drive the price down quickly (I hope) and if I keep it I'll go get my price match at BestBuy. LOL

AllstarE4

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
SAENZ,

Do you know enough about the Vivid and the Nitro to choose one over the other? I'm going to try and decide within my 30 days whether I should keep the Nitro or switch to the Vivid.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
SAENZ,

Do you know enough about the Vivid and the Nitro to choose one over the other? I'm going to try and decide within my 30 days whether I should keep the Nitro or switch to the Vivid.

I hope I can help out with any questions or info that you may have. I have the vivid now and tried the nitro for about three weeks. I like both. I decided to stay with the HTC though. Let me know of you have anything I can help you with.

AllstarE4

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope I can help out with any questions or info that you may have. I have the vivid now and tried the nitro for about three weeks. I like both. I decided to stay with the HTC though. Let me know of you have anything I can help you with.

Thanks. I'm new to Android so I've got alot to learn. My biggest concern is the dev support for the Nitro. I'm betting the Vivid will have great support, but not sure about the Nitro. I did, however, just root my Nitro a few minutes ago so I'm going to try and learn as much as I can quickly to decide whether or not to keep the Nitro.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Rooting is always the best in my opinion. For development, there isn't too much development with the vivid yet. It's probably the same with the nitro. How are you liking the rooted nitro?

AllstarE4

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite sure how I like it yet. I don't know enough about it all to take advantage of it yet. For some reason alot of things seem slower and there seems to be more lag. I thought the point of rooting was to make the device better. Lol

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci