Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why so little attention to this phone?

    So I'm a little confused - this phone seems to me to be the closest competitor to the Galaxy Nexus and even has some better specs (better screen, arguably better camera, internal micro SD), the only major difference I can see right now is ICS.

    Why is this phone receiving so little attention? If it came preloaded with ICS I think people would be frothing at the mouth to get it. Does LG have a bad rep with phones? I have read they are very bad at updates, but then what company isn't? They have stated that this phone will get ICS early next year, so I am not sure why more people aren't looking at this as a contender?

    Just an observation...
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidlyseen View Post
    So I'm a little confused - this phone seems to me to be the closest competitor to the Galaxy Nexus and even has some better specs (better screen, arguably better camera, internal micro SD), the only major difference I can see right now is ICS.

    Why is this phone receiving so little attention? If it came preloaded with ICS I think people would be frothing at the mouth to get it. Does LG have a bad rep with phones? I have read they are very bad at updates, but then what company isn't? They have stated that this phone will get ICS early next year, so I am not sure why more people aren't looking at this as a contender?

    Just an observation...
    you know I thought the same thing, this is right now one of the top phones on AT&T and HD Display I want to see this at the store and get it heh
  3. #3  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    I think it's because all of the tech bloggers are still frothing at the mouth over the Nexus and as a result a lot of phones are getting a raw deal in reviews and stuff. While AT&T MAY get a subsidized version of the GN, it wont be until sometime next yearbut int he meantime a lot of good phones are being ignored.

    The Vivid (aka Holiday), is another great handset but some blogs don't even realize the phone has actually been released and is another strong comparator to the GN
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    I picked one up today. I am not sure why people hate LG so much. Its like the same contempt the bloggers have for Nokia.
  5. #5  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
    I picked one up today. I am not sure why people hate LG so much. Its like the same contempt the bloggers have for Nokia.
    The hardware is excellent but a lot of people hate the skin for some reason, even though you can easily instal Launcher Pro or some other launcher if you so desire. If Verizon were not getting their own version of it I would have gotten this phone, really like the Thrill.

    They also also behind on upgrading the software on their phones.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  6. #6  
    jflexe99's Avatar
    Droids!

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    People will release how good this phone is. I love it...Sure it might not be the fastest, best camera or best battery life, but it is a damn good phone!

    Can't wait to see it with ICS
  7. #7  
    Droid800's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    The hardware is excellent but a lot of people hate the skin for some reason, even though you can easily instal Launcher Pro or some other launcher if you so desire. If Verizon were not getting their own version of it I would have gotten this phone, really like the Thrill.

    They also also behind on upgrading the software on their phones.
    People dog lg for their quality, but their high end smartphones are some of the better made out there. Their skin is meh, but that's because its so overdone. It'll be interesting to see what happens with ICS.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default

    most wont compare to a Nexus cus the Nexus is a Google phone and a developer phone where the Nitro is not.

    also, most regard the lack of polish and poor battery life as deal breakers. i feel the same. big loaded phones like this come at their own cost like size, battery, complexity, etc. a Nexus phone can compensate for those type of issues with a strong dev movement where the Nitro cannot.
  9. #9  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by jflexe99 View Post
    People will release how good this phone is. I love it...Sure it might not be the fastest, best camera or best battery life, but it is a damn good phone!

    Can't wait to see it with ICS
    Actually I think the camera on this phone one of the best I have used and as far as fast gos it is comparable to the RAZR and Nexus. Any difference is minimal.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  10. #10  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by zero. View Post
    most wont compare to a Nexus cus the Nexus is a Google phone and a developer phone where the Nitro is not.

    also, most regard the lack of polish and poor battery life as deal breakers. i feel the same. big loaded phones like this come at their own cost like size, battery, complexity, etc. a Nexus phone can compensate for those type of issues with a strong dev movement where the Nitro cannot.
    With all of the changes that Google has made to ICS each OEM is going to have to more or less start from scratch with their skins and decide what they are going to do:

    1. Scrap the skin and basically go with stock ICS (unlikely in most cases, they have put a lot of effort into their skins and made them unuque and will not want to throw that away, also they will not want to remove the added functionality they have added for fear of frustrating customers who actually use the features of the old version)
    2. Put their skin on top of ICS ignoring all or almost all of the improvements (unfortunately this is the most likely in a lot of cases because it will allow them to release updates faster than option 3)
    3. Merging the existing skin with ICS keeping the best elements of each (this will take the most time but is the best overall solution especially for updated devices, but they may buckle to update pressure and do option 2 because it is easier and faster).

    I believe Droid800 was curious as to what way LG is going to go.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  11. #11  

    Default

    Do your self a favor, don't let others tell you what is great. The nexus is a good phone, but far from the best..it has ICS and that is about it, no removable sd card, terrible speaker, terrible signal problems, no gorilla glass..the list goes on..but because it's google with no locked bootloader, the " geeks" are going crazy about it. There are plenty of great devices out..and plenty more to come..it is a shame they aren't getting the coverage they deserve.
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jtwildman1 View Post
    Do your self a favor, don't let others tell you what is great. The nexus is a good phone, but far from the best..it has ICS and that is about it, no removable sd card, terrible speaker, terrible signal problems, no gorilla glass..the list goes on..but because it's google with no locked bootloader, the " geeks" are going crazy about it. There are plenty of great devices out..and plenty more to come..it is a shame they aren't getting the coverage they deserve.
    agreed, but the fact remains... most of us around here are indeed the geeks to whom you're referring. ;p
  13. #13  
    SAENZ_SCENE's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

    Default

    It's a great phone. I have used it for a bit and its great. The skin reminds me of a go launcher theme. I don't like it but install a launcher and find s theme that works good for you. This phone will contine to get overlooked. Even more so now that at&t is releasing 6 New devices. Note, skyrocket hd, Sony ion as far as android. Those are looking great and will most likely make this LG nitro get even less praise and less people willing to purchase it.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by SAENZ_SCENE View Post
    It's a great phone. I have used it for a bit and its great. The skin reminds me of a go launcher theme. I don't like it but install a launcher and find s theme that works good for you. This phone will contine to get overlooked. Even more so now that at&t is releasing 6 New devices. Note, skyrocket hd, Sony ion as far as android. Those are looking great and will most likely make this LG nitro get even less praise and less people willing to purchase it.
    This is true. This will drive the price down quickly (I hope) and if I keep it I'll go get my price match at BestBuy. LOL
  15. #15  
    SAENZ_SCENE's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

    Default

    Haha awesome! I would do the same.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    SAENZ,

    Do you know enough about the Vivid and the Nitro to choose one over the other? I'm going to try and decide within my 30 days whether I should keep the Nitro or switch to the Vivid.
  17. #17  
    SAENZ_SCENE's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllstarE4 View Post
    SAENZ,

    Do you know enough about the Vivid and the Nitro to choose one over the other? I'm going to try and decide within my 30 days whether I should keep the Nitro or switch to the Vivid.
    I hope I can help out with any questions or info that you may have. I have the vivid now and tried the nitro for about three weeks. I like both. I decided to stay with the HTC though. Let me know of you have anything I can help you with.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by SAENZ_SCENE View Post
    I hope I can help out with any questions or info that you may have. I have the vivid now and tried the nitro for about three weeks. I like both. I decided to stay with the HTC though. Let me know of you have anything I can help you with.
    Thanks. I'm new to Android so I've got alot to learn. My biggest concern is the dev support for the Nitro. I'm betting the Vivid will have great support, but not sure about the Nitro. I did, however, just root my Nitro a few minutes ago so I'm going to try and learn as much as I can quickly to decide whether or not to keep the Nitro.
  19. #19  
    SAENZ_SCENE's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

    Default

    Nice! Rooting is always the best in my opinion. For development, there isn't too much development with the vivid yet. It's probably the same with the nitro. How are you liking the rooted nitro?
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    I'm not quite sure how I like it yet. I don't know enough about it all to take advantage of it yet. For some reason alot of things seem slower and there seems to be more lag. I thought the point of rooting was to make the device better. Lol
  21. #21  
    SAENZ_SCENE's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

    Default

    Lol that should be case! I'm waiting on a Rom for the vivid. There is an ics Rom in the works so I'm waiting on that. I think without sense this phone will be even snappier. I hope. Sometimes it takes a couple days after root for the phone to adjust so the laG may go away.
  22. #22  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default Re: Why so little attention to this phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by AllstarE4 View Post
    I'm not quite sure how I like it yet. I don't know enough about it all to take advantage of it yet. For some reason alot of things seem slower and there seems to be more lag. I thought the point of rooting was to make the device better. Lol
    I noticed the same thing the first time I test drove ot at the store and then came back a couple weeks later and it didn't seem as bad (yes I rebooted the phone both times beforehand). I was mystified by this until I read somewhere that this phone has 767 MB or RAM while other top tier ones has 1GB and I am betting that is the reason. I will be playing with the LG Spectrum (Verizon version of the same phone with 1GB of RAM) so that should answer it for me.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Posting Permissions

B