ATT HTC One X 1.85 to 2.20 update - Lost Root

macstarvo

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I rooted my version 1.85 AT&T One X and since I'm a noob I went ahead and accepted the 2.20/4.0.4 ICS update thus removing root. I never did nor do I want to ever unlock the bootloader since I want to be able to keep a valid warranty using RUU in case something ever happens but I wanted root just for Ti Backup, patcher and WIFI Tethering.

I haven't read anywhere that 2.20 has been rooted, correct me if I'm wrong and please point me in the right direction if you've seen that done. What are my best options at this point? I've read about people "flashing this and recovering that" but without an unlocked bootloader what can I do because I can't flash or recover anything right? I mean without doing a factory restore with the stock RUU... right?. Can I at least clean up my phone and get rid of superuser and all that until the devs find a way to root? Thanks for any help or and advice.

-Mac

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
You are out of luck right now. Since you did not have your bootoader unlocked it is not possible to regain your root access. At this point you will have wait until developers find another way to root. Check XDA developers forum for updates.

mcginnisx

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
How do I get rooted with the ATT update of 2.20? Do I have to unlock the bootloader first? Sorry for my super noobness haha

From what I've read (newb here too XD) the only way to get root again is if you have your unlock_code.bin code and have already unlocked your bootloader. If you wanted to upgrade to 2.20 you would have to relock your bootloader, unroot, install 2.20, unlock bootloader again (with adb and if you have your unlock_code.bin), and reroot.

Here's a guide:
[GUIDE] Upgrade to ATT 2.20 OTA Safely - xda-developers

However, if you DON'T have your unlock_code.bin, you're pretty screwed. lol

KungPow80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
What if I never rooted? I'm trying to root but hitting a brick wall right now trying to figure all of this out. Point is, I'm on 2.20 and want to be rooted. How do I get there haha?

recondoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I'm an absolute Newb when it comes to this. I paid a guy to root my Inspire last year and never messed with rooting my Note or S3. Now that I've had enough of Samsung and obtained a One X, I just want to clarify. I attempted the One X One Click root and it failed. Now that I'm looking more closely at the phone, I can see that it came with the 2.20 build on Android 4.0.4 . (Primary reason for the rooting is Tethering)
Having a limited (read I'm over 40 and learning this as I go) vocabulary base on Android, am I correct in assuming that I'm SOL until someone comes up with a root for the 2.20 build?
Just trying to verify and build my knowledge base.
Any info is helpful.
Thanks,
Doc

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is unfortunately the boat you are in. I have not kept abreast of this, since it is a do it once sort of thing, but the thread to watch for more information are here-

Root 2.20 ThinkTank - xda-developers

I would very much recommend NOT posting in there, unless you can participate in the discussion of course, but this is a great place to lurk to keep apprised of how efforts are going.

recondoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks loraque,
I just found FoxFi and the FoxFi Add On so I can, at least, get around AT&Ts insane tethering fees for now. Look forward to being able to root later but not in enough of a hurry to try an brick my phone. Will definitely be lurking over on Xda to try and learn a thing or two.

nothandledwell27

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks loraque,
I just found FoxFi and the FoxFi Add On so I can, at least, get around AT&Ts insane tethering fees for now. Look forward to being able to root later but not in enough of a hurry to try an brick my phone. Will definitely be lurking over on Xda to try and learn a thing or two.

I tried Foxfi, when I try to open the app, it tells me that my carrier (AT&T) will not authorize this app on my phone.