Help an Android noob

Matt Delacoma

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had this note 3 for about a week. Every 5 minutes or so it makes a notification sound that I can't figure out. How can I disable this? What is it?

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Weird...so it just makes the sounds, but there is no notification of any sort? No texts, e-mails, etc.?

Matt Delacoma

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
When I first got it I was using the stock text message app. Then I found out about group texting and got hangouts. Now I noticed that my text messages come into three different places. The stock app, hangouts and AT&T messages. Could there be an issue with the 3 interacting with each other? Can any of these be deleted to help the problem? What would happen if I remove the stock app? Would I be able to get it back if I needed/wanted it?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
When I first got it I was using the stock text message app. Then I found out about group texting and got hangouts. Now I noticed that my text messages come into three different places. The stock app, hangouts and AT&T messages. Could there be an issue with the 3 interacting with each other? Can any of these be deleted to help the problem? What would happen if I remove the stock app? Would I be able to get it back if I needed/wanted it?

Disable the stock texting app and also the AT&T app if it allows it. I use Handcent and completely disabled the stock texting app. See if that works.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Matt Delacoma

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Rather than delete, I tried turning off. AT&T is turned off. Not sure what happened with the stock app. It's now gone from everywhere I look and can't find it. And the annoying notification sound is now worse....it does a double sound now.
I was interested in the note 2 but stayed away after hearing bad things about android. Finally decided to try the note 3. The bells and whistles on android/Samsung enticed me. But all the bad stuff I read and heard about android is now being experienced first hand. Why does everything have to be so complicated and frustrating with this OS?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Rather than delete, I tried turning off. AT&T is turned off. Not sure what happened with the stock app. It's now gone from everywhere I look and can't find it. And the annoying notification sound is now worse....it does a double sound now.
I was interested in the note 2 but stayed away after hearing bad things about android. Finally decided to try the note 3. The bells and whistles on android/Samsung enticed me. But all the bad stuff I read and heard about android is now being experienced first hand. Why does everything have to be so complicated and frustrating with this OS?

I assure you this isn't a regular thing. I have never had any of the issues a lot of people seem to complain about; most of the time, it's an app someone downloads. This is not to blame on the OS

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I assure you this isn't a regular thing. I have never had any of the issues a lot of people seem to complain about; most of the time, it's an app someone downloads. This is not to blame on the OS

I absolutely agree. I've had nothing but Iphones and got the Note 3 a couple days after release. I read ALOT of these forums and occasionally I will have a bug mentioned here but most of the time its smooth sailing. From my brief experience I would also venture to say it is usually an app causing issues. I absolutely love this phone and nothing will change my mind!

possumdel

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have other issues with Android not mentioned here. I'm 6 days in with this phone and it's driving me crazy. I don't understand why sometimes an action prompts a notification sound and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I try the dual screen, the page I want opens and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I already have dual screen open and try to switch one of the screens to a different page, it switches the wrong screen. It's hard to explain what I'm experiencing, but there are times when what I want to do either does something different or not at all. Like touching an icon or link. You could say that the issue is with the apps and not the OS. But the apps are created FOR the OS, so it kinda is ya know? I feel like a person needs to have computer knowledge in order to make an Android phone work for them. I'm trying to figure things out and hang on to this phone. There are some things that ARE working great and I love it. But to be completely honest, if I can't get things ironed out by this weekend then I plan to eat the expenses incurred to date and go back to my Windows Phone. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it doesn't have all the issues either.

possumdel

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
So apparently I already had an account under the username possumdel. I didn't realize/remember that and signed up to post. Matt Delacoma and possumdel are one and the same, I assure you

Sonnydigs

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Dual screen isn't compatible with all apps...
I came from many yrs of iPhone and yes there is a learning curve but I love the the Note3..
Hang in there it will get easier..
This is the place to get the answers you need..
Good luck..
Sonny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03