Help w/tethering AT&T (Note 3)

coach_u

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
My note 3 is not rooted but here is my question. I had been tethering for years on it because i simply can not get dsl where i live. I got a letter the other day telling me that if i continue to tether with the device then i will lose my unlimited and they would had a tethering plan on my phone that would basically be around 60$ extra a month for 5 gigs. If i root it will i be able to continue to tether without them knowing? or is there another step to this besides just rooting? Or is it not possible to do at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Help w/tethering Att (Note 3)

How is it? Tethering is Sharing your phone using your Internet connection that you already pay for. How can they say that you can't tether? I don't understand

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

And when I am in US. I use att

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

They can say it because tethering isn't offered on grandfathered unlimited data plans not even as an add on I believe. You may try rooting and/or using a VPN or proxy server. I have never tried this but have seen others post that they have and hide tethering but again it's a risk you take with tethering on atts old unlimited data plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

How is it? Tethering is Sharing your phone using your Internet connection that you already pay for. How can they say that you can't tether? I don't understand

On grandfathered unlimited plans AT&T doesn't allow tethering. They want you to be on a capped plan to do so.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Does the US ex post facto rules in the constitution not cover anything that a company conducting business in the united states with its citizens? Ex Post Facto basically says that anything that was legal in the past cannot be made illegal today and be applied to a person who was legal up until this new law was made. So I was legally able to tether with my grandfathered unlimited plan when I started it. Now ATT sees that they can make a lot of money with tiered plans and has now said that grandfathered unlimited plans cannot use tethering as a way to force those users to buy new plans that are much more expensive. So basically they have made it against the new rules for me to do something that was ok a few years ago.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Does the US ex post facto rules in the constitution not cover anything that a company conducting business in the united states with its citizens? Ex Post Facto basically says that anything that was legal in the past cannot be made illegal today and be applied to a person who was legal up until this new law was made. So I was legally able to tether with my grandfathered unlimited plan when I started it. Now ATT sees that they can make a lot of money with tiered plans and has now said that grandfathered unlimited plans cannot use tethering as a way to force those users to buy new plans that are much more expensive. So basically they have made it against the new rules for me to do something that was ok a few years ago.

The legality of it is he signed a contract and agreed to the terms of that contract. A person is just as obligated to honor those terms as the company.

Posted via Android Central App

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Bottom line u can simply download a VPN hide app that will mask your tethering to make it seem like a normal phone data usage.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The legality of it is he signed a contract and agreed to the terms of that contract. A person is just as obligated to honor those terms as the company.

This. Power you're comparing law to terms. It's not against the law.. You won't be thrown in jail for tethering... But in the terms they can force you to a new plan or cancel your service. You did agree in the terms.

Alot of terms have some sort of verbiage that says unlimited data is for the phone.. Not a device connected to the phone or anything like that. It strictly means data being transmitted for the phone itself to use.. Not data passed to an iPad, laptop, etc.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I was simply questioning if anything about tethering was in unlimited plans back in 2007 contract verbiage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I was simply questioning if anything about tethering was in unlimited plans back in 2007 contract verbiage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You aren't on the agreement anymore so it doesn't matter. Your terms now say it.. Guaranteed.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. If you are off contract you agree not to tether and they agree not to turn you service of as long as you don't.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Does Foxfi/PdaNet+ work on the Note 3?

I'm using it on my AT&T Galaxy S3 after the 4.3 update but I had to reinstall the program on my PC to get it to work.

Found the answer on another thread,

"I have Foxfi and works perfectly on my stock AT & T Note 3. So much easier than rooting and everything else I would have had to do on an HTC one. I love HTC phones but Samsung is growing on me fast. I have paid version of Foxfi btw"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis