Made the move from apple to note 3: Back ups and other newbie questions

SoHoodInHarlem

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Howdy all! I am a brand new Galaxy Note 3 owner coming over from iPhone. First of all, I LOVE this device. I have had my eye on the Note 3 for months now, and finally made the LEAP! I have a few questions and did not see a thread related to my questions, so here it goes....

1. When using iPhone, my phone automatically backed up photos, contacts, etc. to either iCloud, or manually when connected to my MacBook....How do I backup my Samsung Galaxy Note 3? How do I backup Photos, most importantly? My contact are already saved on Google

2. For a new Note 3 user, and brand new to Android (first android device ever) any suggestions to make the transition easier? Launchers? Apps?

3. One thing I am missing is "Find My Friends" I used this all the time with my family, is there a program that works between OS's? for instance, my family still has iPhones, so I would need an application that works between iPhone and Android, that updates location automatically, like "Find My Friends" anyone used an app that they like?

4. Is there a messaging app that anyone recommends? I know that SwiftKey has made my life a lot easier (Keyboard wise) since apple's Keyboard, and samsung's Keyboard are quite different. do most of you use the regular messaging app that comes with the phone?

5. I know there is a way to put iTunes music on my Note 3, but don't quite know how yet.....suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am so excited for this switch, and can't wait to learn all the things I can do with it!!!

Slaytor Z

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
1. Photos can be backed up to google+
2. Think of Android in layers - layer 1 is the home screens and layer 2 is the apps/ widgets screens. In comparison, iphones (and other ios products) have only one layer
3. I've got nothing, sorry :(
4. Try hangouts or whatsapp, they're cross platform and very good
5. You can put your itunes library on google play music, so you can play it through that on the N3. Go to google play music website and there will be instructions on how to do that.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Howdy all! I am a brand new Galaxy Note 3 owner coming over from iPhone. First of all, I LOVE this device. I have had my eye on the Note 3 for months now, and finally made the LEAP! I have a few questions and did not see a thread related to my questions, so here it goes....

1. When using iPhone, my phone automatically backed up photos, contacts, etc. to either iCloud, or manually when connected to my MacBook....How do I backup my Samsung Galaxy Note 3? How do I backup Photos, most importantly? My contact are already saved on Google

2. For a new Note 3 user, and brand new to Android (first android device ever) any suggestions to make the transition easier? Launchers? Apps?

3. One thing I am missing is "Find My Friends" I used this all the time with my family, is there a program that works between OS's? for instance, my family still has iPhones, so I would need an application that works between iPhone and Android, that updates location automatically, like "Find My Friends" anyone used an app that they like?

4. Is there a messaging app that anyone recommends? I know that SwiftKey has made my life a lot easier (Keyboard wise) since apple's Keyboard, and samsung's Keyboard are quite different. do most of you use the regular messaging app that comes with the phone?

5. I know there is a way to put iTunes music on my Note 3, but don't quite know how yet.....suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am so excited for this switch, and can't wait to learn all the things I can do with it!!!

1. Like mentioned above, Google + works great. I prefer Dropbox, and since you have a Note 3, I think they give you 50 GB of cloud storage for two years :D
2. I'd recommend looking at Nova or Apex launcher. Prefer them to the stock launcher and it has a lot more options :)
3. Don't have anything here either :-\
4. Textra and Handcent get a lot of praise. Hangouts is also cool, but the other person needs it installed as well
5. Post above hit the nail on the head

Posted via Android Central App

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
If you install Samsung Kies on your desktop, it does a lot of this as well. I was using it the other day to move music and pictures but I also noticed that it does offer to do a complete backup. Also, I have used an app called My Backup Pro. It works quite well for backing up everythng.

Hawkhe

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I use Text Free for messaging since it can use your cell number or the number they provide so you can message over wifi.

Google+ updates photos and videos pretty fast and does neat things by making combining similar videos, adding effects and music to them and also makes magic pictures, it will make a collage or even animate pictures at random, like a picture I took of our xmas tree was edited with the lights twinkling.

When I switched from iPhone to Android I used software from these people. ImTOO PodWorks - BEST iTunes Alternative, iTunes Replacement Software It extracted all my media for me and let me put it on my PC.

lang007

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Easiest way to do this with most keyboards is to click the word after you type it in the auto predict area and then click again to add to dictionary.

Thank you I will try that

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on what keyboard you're using
Is it the stock Samsung keyboard?

Posted via Android Central App

Stock Keyboard just have had the Note for a few days

adam13141

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I came from the iPhone to the Note 2 originally, and now have a Note 3 so I have an idea of where you are coming from. I am a big fan of all Google services, and try to take advantage of them when I can.

1. Google + is the best way to back up photos in my opinion. You can set it up where it will automatically back up all photos.
2. There are a lot of good launchers, but I prefer Nova Prime.
3. You can supplement Find my Friends with Foursquare, but you friends and family will have to download Foursquare as well.
4. Swiftkey is by far my favorite keyboard.
5. In my opinion, the best way to get all itunes music on your Note 3 is to use Google Music. Download Google Music to your computer. The Google Music app will read all music you have on itunes and make it available in the cloud on the Google Music app on your Note 3. You can choose to download music from the Google Music app or just stream it.

Enjoy your Note 3!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12