Buying N3 off contract? Must it be ATT branded? What about updates?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I just switched to a lower-monthly-cost AT&T value share plan where I don't get a subsidized phone every 2 years.

On Amazon, it looks like an N3 is: $200 with contract, $789 without contract.

I see some "international" N3's on amazon, but read a review saying it wouldn't work here in the USA.

What are my options?

If I am able to get a non-att N3, how do I get updates? (through samsung direct?)

Is it like a google nexus phone where updates bypass the carrier?

Any & All suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I just switched to a lower-monthly-cost AT&T value share plan where I don't get a subsidized phone every 2 years.

On Amazon, it looks like an N3 is: $200 with contract, $789 without contract.

I see some "international" N3's on amazon, but read a review saying it wouldn't work here in the USA.

What are my options?

If I am able to get a non-att N3, how do I get updates? (through samsung direct?)

Is it like a google nexus phone where updates bypass the carrier?

Any & All suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

I believe the note 3 is region locked, so you will need one intended for the USA, I may be wrong, but I don't think Samsung offers an unlocked note 3.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
And one more thing, be very careful, there are fake note 3's all over, even a risk on Amazon if buying through a third party seller. If the price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can get an N3 for $200 contract, about $750 without contract brick and mortar. Check AT&T or Best Buy. No reason to go through Amazon, wait for delivery and wonder if it's the real ting.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Non USA Note 3 will work on att so long as it is factory sim unlocked and region unlocked. But keep in mind that you won't get 4glte. Update would come directly from Samsung, assuming that it is not a carrier version

If you want to save a little bit of money, you can get the tmobile Note 3 for $620 (sometimes drops to $600) if you have a frys b&m near you. You would have to get it unlocked, there are free ways that I believe require root or you can pay a fee to get it unlocked. TMobile Note 3 supports all of atr lte bands (2,4,5,17). Update would be from tmobile. I believe that you can get it over wifi. If not, find someone with a Tmobile sim do you can update. Or buy a Tmobile sim prepaid which is $3/day, but I believe that the minimum is $10 on the card

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
OMG: thank you for explaining that to me. I had no idea about the lack of LTE. I don't want to go through the hassle or complexity of the tmobile route. I will call ATT and see what the contract options for 2 of the phones even though I just switched to their value share plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol