AT&T Note 3: Kingo Root - Be Careful!!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI: I used Kingo and it worked great on MJ5, but when I was ready to upgrade the firmware to NB4, I unrooted, factory reset and then tried to upgrade...it would not let me, kept stopping at 25% then fail.

Now, when I was rooted, I uninstalled all the AT&T apps that I did not need, no important system files. When I did the unroot and reset, those apps didn't come back. I called AT&T and they tried pushing the FW upgrade, it downloaded, but still would not install.

Point being here, be careful, because I think Kingo did something that it was not supposed to. I then, with limited patience left, was turned on to this link

That link re-flashed my stock MJ5 Rom and as soon as it was completed, I was able to ungrade to the NB4 FW with no issues!

Be careful with this rooting method. PS: I never thought I'd be excited to see my at&t bloatware back on my device! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

kentuc794

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kingo Root - Be Careful!!

I am rooted with kingo and did the upgrade without even unrooting. Though I did lose root I used kingo 1.1.5 to gain root again. If you want to remove the bloat without issue use the app manager and just turn them off or freeze them with titanium backup. I seen several people have the same issue when they remove the bloatware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I am rooted with kingo and did the upgrade without even unrooting. Though I did lose root I used kingo 1.1.5 to gain root again. If you want to remove the bloat without issue use the app manager and just turn them off or freeze them with titanium backup. I seen several people have the same issue when they remove the bloatware.

Yeah, I probably should have just turned them off. and its possible that Kingo had nothing to do with it, but figured I'd warn folks just in case. My son's phone had no issues "unrooted" getting the upgrade.... which led me to believe that perhaps something went south during the KINGO root or unroot process.

The only reason I rooted was to uninstall bloat, so I'll probably not root again on my BABY, the Note 3, that process to get back to stock MJ5 was stressful!! LOL. I'm still rooted on my note 2 :-D

kentuc794

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah just go to setting app manager and turn off everything you don't want much easier and easy undone.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Kingo wasn't the issue. I rooted using the RDLV method and had the same issue with the install failing at 31% constantly. I went back to stock MJ5, updated and then rooted with Kingo 1.1.8 and it has been fine since. We'll see what happens whenever the new update comes.

Just an FYI: I used Kingo and it worked great on MJ5, but when I was ready to upgrade the firmware to NB4, I unrooted, factory reset and then tried to upgrade...it would not let me, kept stopping at 25% then fail.

Now, when I was rooted, I uninstalled all the AT&T apps that I did not need, no important system files. When I did the unroot and reset, those apps didn't come back. I called AT&T and they tried pushing the FW upgrade, it downloaded, but still would not install.

Point being here, be careful, because I think Kingo did something that it was not supposed to. I then, with limited patience left, was turned on to this link

That link re-flashed my stock MJ5 Rom and as soon as it was completed, I was able to ungrade to the NB4 FW with no issues!

Be careful with this rooting method. PS: I never thought I'd be excited to see my at&t bloatware back on my device! LOL

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Kingo wasn't the issue. I rooted using the RDLV method and had the same issue with the install failing at 31% constantly. I went back to stock MJ5, updated and then rooted with Kingo 1.1.8 and it has been fine since. We'll see what happens whenever the new update comes.

After you rooted, did you uninstall any apps using Titanium or any other app that allows you to uninstall?? I'm thinking that the update is checking system space or something, and seeing that its been tampered with , thus shutting the install down?? Just throwing something out there.

Last edited:

anderd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Removing ANY applications and bloatware will cause failure to upgrade/update firmware.. Period.. no matter WHAT method you use to root ANY samsung device. Im not so sure they're checking for applications that are removed as much as the state of the device "Modified" or "Official". Wish Kingo would get a root fix for S5's already... lol..

Just remember, removing any stock apps and or bloatware will cause firmware updates to fail. This has been my experience for the last 3 years with working with samsung devices on a daily basis.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

For the Note 3, the fix for a failure during update is easy - N900AUCUCNC2 ODIN Files - Post #136 - XDA Forums (Use the 4 separate files, not the all-in-one, and you'll get a factory-new NC2 ROM - 4.4.2 - on the phone.) Then use Towel Root to root it.

For 4.4.4 (and for 5), for the Note, S5 or anything else, we'll just have to wait until someone finds an exploit that will work to be able to root it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital