Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kentuc794
  • 1 Post By kentuc794
  • 1 Post By munnarg
  • 1 Post By H3aTeRzz
  • 1 Post By anderd
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Note 3: Kingo Root - Be Careful!!

Just an FYI: I used Kingo and it worked great on MJ5, but when I was ready to upgrade the firmware to NB4, I unrooted, factory reset and then tried to upgrade...it would not let me, kept stopping at 25% then fail.

Now, when I was rooted, I uninstalled all the AT&T apps that I did not need, no important system files. When I did the unroot and reset, those apps didn't come back. I called AT&T and they tried pushing the FW upgrade, it downloaded, but still would not install.

Point being here, be careful, because I think Kingo did something that it was not supposed to. I then, with limited patience left, was turned on to this link

That link re-flashed my stock MJ5 Rom and as soon as it was completed, I was able to ungrade to the NB4 FW with no issues!

Be careful with this rooting method. PS: I never thought I'd be excited to see my at&t bloatware back on my device! LOL
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-04-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Who am I? Well sir, that's classified!

If I've helped you, hit the THANKS button!

Note 3 AT&T

Default Re: Kingo Root - Be Careful!!

I am rooted with kingo and did the upgrade without even unrooting. Though I did lose root I used kingo 1.1.5 to gain root again. If you want to remove the bloat without issue use the app manager and just turn them off or freeze them with titanium backup. I seen several people have the same issue when they remove the bloatware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kentuc794 View Post
    I am rooted with kingo and did the upgrade without even unrooting. Though I did lose root I used kingo 1.1.5 to gain root again. If you want to remove the bloat without issue use the app manager and just turn them off or freeze them with titanium backup. I seen several people have the same issue when they remove the bloatware.

Yeah, I probably should have just turned them off. and its possible that Kingo had nothing to do with it, but figured I'd warn folks just in case. My son's phone had no issues "unrooted" getting the upgrade.... which led me to believe that perhaps something went south during the KINGO root or unroot process.

The only reason I rooted was to uninstall bloat, so I'll probably not root again on my BABY, the Note 3, that process to get back to stock MJ5 was stressful!! LOL. I'm still rooted on my note 2 :-D

Note 3 AT&T

Yeah just go to setting app manager and turn off everything you don't want much easier and easy undone.

Thanked by:
    H3aTeRzz likes this.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Default Re: AT&T Note 3: Kingo Root - Be Careful!!

Kingo wasn't the issue. I rooted using the RDLV method and had the same issue with the install failing at 31% constantly. I went back to stock MJ5, updated and then rooted with Kingo 1.1.8 and it has been fine since. We'll see what happens whenever the new update comes.

Quote Originally Posted by H3aTeRzz View Post
    Just an FYI: I used Kingo and it worked great on MJ5, but when I was ready to upgrade the firmware to NB4, I unrooted, factory reset and then tried to upgrade...it would not let me, kept stopping at 25% then fail.

Now, when I was rooted, I uninstalled all the AT&T apps that I did not need, no important system files. When I did the unroot and reset, those apps didn't come back. I called AT&T and they tried pushing the FW upgrade, it downloaded, but still would not install.

Point being here, be careful, because I think Kingo did something that it was not supposed to. I then, with limited patience left, was turned on to this link

That link re-flashed my stock MJ5 Rom and as soon as it was completed, I was able to ungrade to the NB4 FW with no issues!

Be careful with this rooting method. PS: I never thought I'd be excited to see my at&t bloatware back on my device! LOL
    Thanked by:
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
    Kingo wasn't the issue. I rooted using the RDLV method and had the same issue with the install failing at 31% constantly. I went back to stock MJ5, updated and then rooted with Kingo 1.1.8 and it has been fine since. We'll see what happens whenever the new update comes.

After you rooted, did you uninstall any apps using Titanium or any other app that allows you to uninstall?? I'm thinking that the update is checking system space or something, and seeing that its been tampered with , thus shutting the install down?? Just throwing something out there.
    Last edited by H3aTeRzz; 03-05-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Note 3 AT&T
    Baugherb likes this.

Removing ANY applications and bloatware will cause failure to upgrade/update firmware.. Period.. no matter WHAT method you use to root ANY samsung device. Im not so sure they're checking for applications that are removed as much as the state of the device "Modified" or "Official". Wish Kingo would get a root fix for S5's already... lol..

Just remember, removing any stock apps and or bloatware will cause firmware updates to fail. This has been my experience for the last 3 years with working with samsung devices on a daily basis.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.