Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kentuc794
  • 1 Post By dmcdivitt
  • 1 Post By munnarg
  • 1 Post By johnmltb33
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Note 3: unable to do update

I've seen a message on my phone two or three times saying the AT&T update failed. Doing the update manually through settings also fails. Reading different places say the update is not working because I've modified the phone. Yes, it's rooted, but I haven't deleted anything. I did turn off a few programs.

What should I do to resolve this? The update I'm supposed to get is a 4.3 patch. I want 4.4 when it comes out. I've done a lot of work customizing my phone and do a lot with it. Do I have to restore and start over again? Isn't there a way to say what I have and have it all put back? When I used an iPhone there was an app available that would put everything back after an update and subsequent jailbreak. Is there an equivalent procedure for android? Thanks
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-09-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Default Re: unable to do AT&T update on note 3

What did you use the shut off the apps. If you used anything but the app manager then yes you will need to restore all the apps before it will do the update. I am rooted and have used exposed modules to modify my system and used only the app manager to turn off apps and the update worked on mine. Had to redo root after it updated using an older version of the app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I turned off Google Play Music because it caused issues with Rocket Player (good app). I think I used Zapper Task Killer, but since turned Google Play Music back on, updated via Google Play, then turned off again via app manager. If the update won't work, all I can do is restore I guess. No other options.

Isn't there a way to save all my programs and settings then put back after the update? The phone synchronizes with samsung and google. I don't know what is being synchronized and backed up. I back up with Kies 3, also. I delete all previous stuff from the PC so it copies everything. There's a database to be deleted for that.

How do other people manage updates?

If you install titanium backup and set it up to backup your your external SD card then you can restore the apps after you reroot your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have Titanium Backup. Used it once or twice. Too complicated for me. Can't there be a piece of software with one button that backs everything up? Titanium backup has:
    - backup all user apps
    - backup all system data
    - backup all user apps + system data
    - forced redo of your backups - what does that mean?
    - redo all your old (>3 days) backups
    - redo backups for modified data
    - backup new user apps & newer versions
    many, many more

This is so confusing. I can't even find where to read what these different backup operations do. I've been in computers for 35+ years and make software for a living. From my experience there's a full backup and a differential backup. A backup normally includes everything and isn't piecemeal. When I go to restore, what exactly am I supposed to restore? Problem is, every other backup software does the same on android devices, far as I can tell. I want to back up my device and know for a certainty everything is backed up and I can go back to it. I love my android, but the one thing apple does much better is provide a simple, reliable backup solution. I restored my iPhone to factory settings many times. No options. No complexity. It came back exactly as it was with all my programs and settings. PackageBackup I think it was called, would restore all the jailbreak stuff.

If you can advise what to do to backup simply, and restore, and have that cover everything. I'd appreciate it.

Default Re: AT&T Note 3: unable to do update

Not saying this is perfect or the correct way but here is how I backup and restore my phone. I use titaium and do a backup of all apps and system data. Then when I restore I let the play store restore all my apps that were installed and then go into titanium after I root and just restore the data and not the app. If any apps didn't get reinstalled (has text striked out) I wait until after restoring the data and will go back restore the app and data for those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk
    dmcdivitt likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for that info. I read on a page all apps + system data is supposed to get everything. I like the way you let the Play Store install first. If I update to a new version of android, some of the programs may be different, so I wouldn't want to overwrite those. I did a backup and analyzed the display. I don't like the way three or four icons equate to success, and only if a yellow triangle appears there was a failure on that file. That's confusing. Would be nice if there was a log to look at listing errors, only. Once a restore is done, if it wasn't backed up right to begin with, there's no way to go back and get it. No room for trial and error. Your description, from someone who has done it helps a lot.

I noticed Titanium will also export a list of applications. That's cool. If I have to I can go down the list and install apps individually.

With your comments and what I've read elsewhere I feel confident I will get the stuff completely backed up, then work with restoring as needed.
    kentuc794 likes this.

Is there anyway to do a complete backup in a non rooted phone??
    I see that Nova Prime has a backup function but unsure what all it actually has backed up..
    Thanks..

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnydigs View Post
    Is there anyway to do a complete backup in a non rooted phone??
    I see that Nova Prime has a backup function but unsure what all it actually has backed up..
    Thanks..
    It simply backs up the Nova Prime settings and layouts I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdivitt View Post
    I've seen a message on my phone two or three times saying the AT&T update failed. Doing the update manually through settings also fails. Reading different places say the update is not working because I've modified the phone. Yes, it's rooted, but I haven't deleted anything. I did turn off a few programs.

What should I do to resolve this? The update I'm supposed to get is a 4.3 patch. I want 4.4 when it comes out. I've done a lot of work customizing my phone and do a lot with it. Do I have to restore and start over again? Isn't there a way to say what I have and have it all put back? When I used an iPhone there was an app available that would put everything back after an update and subsequent jailbreak. Is there an equivalent procedure for android? Thanks
    It seems you might have to go the same route a lot of us did, by restoring back to stock MJ5. Then you can update and reroot using Kingo 1.1.8. Here's the link with the steps and files you need to restore.
    dmcdivitt likes this.

Check out G Cloud Backup at the Google Play Store. I've used it when changing phones and found it works for my purposes. Simply download it onto your phone before restoring, back up everything you want to keep and then restore and update. After update use it to recall your settings, etc. as you prefer them.
    dmcdivitt likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I did check out G Cloud Backup and installed. Titanium is good, but too overblown. People who use it a lot may think it's simple, but any time you have to research and figure out what the app is doing, it's too complicated. Titanium keeps failing on the google drive upload. It goes a good ways then dies. I can manually restart the upload and it succeeds, but that's unreliable. It should have an option to do that. I'll see what G Cloud Backup does. Looks promising. Has 4.7 rating and many, many reviews. Also got Zoolz they make, too. Been wanting an unlimited cold storage service. Got Zoolz for 5 years, unlimited storage, unlimited external drives, one user, $108. Thanks for the post.