Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ehosey2
  • 1 Post By H3aTeRzz
  • 3 Post By billmunson
  • 1 Post By H3aTeRzz
  • 1 Post By mbranscum
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Note 3: Ready to buy! Just a bit nervous.

Hi all. I'm a long time iPhone user who is ready for a change. Really like what I see with Android 4.3/4.4 on the Note 3 am ready to buy. A common issue I'm ready about is the GPS issue, whether or not it is hardware/software, and am nervous about chunking down $700 and maybe having to get it replaced multiple times hoping for a fix. Just chatted with AT&T and here's what I asked.
    You are now chatting with Jespere, an AT&T sales representative.
    Jespere: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I help you with placing your order today?
    Bill: Just a question about the next program. If I trade in a phone, can I use the proceeds to put against another phone, then start paying my monthly payment?
    Jespere: Hi Bill! I will be happy to answer that for you.
    Jespere: When you trade in a phone, it comes weeks after it is sent, the process is explained here: Click Here
    Bill: I was going to trade the phone in at my local AT&T store.
    Jespere: That is possible, they can make that arrangement for you, they have more information on that compared to online.
    Bill: Does it still take weeks after that point? And if it does, can the balance be applied to the new phone that I buy through NEXT?
    Jespere: It will take weeks because it is a process to get that trade in credit, once you do get it, you can use it for your AT&T next credit.
    Bill: Thanks for you help. I also have a Question about the galaxy Note 3. Should I contact someone else or can you help me with that?
    Bill: Technical question.
    Jespere: I can answer, what is the question?
    Bill: Looking to purchase a Note 3. I found several posts on AT&T's support forum about the early devices having a software and/or hardware problem with the GPS. Has this been fixed with the newer built Note 3's?
    Jespere: Great question! I did find that we aware of the issue and we are working on a fix in the near future with a software update.
    Bill: So it's not fixed? Just wary about buying a phone that won't work on day one. Also, after reading the terms under the Next program, it reads that after making monthly payments I can only pay off the phone early if I pay off the entire amount owed. Doesn't read any where about crediting an amount after the fact.
    Jespere: The Trade in amount you receive can be applied to any AT&T service or device.
    Bill: Thanks for the last part. So about the new phone, what options do I have if the new phone has issues?
    Jespere: You can return the phone within 14 days

I am currently using an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1 and don't have any problems with it, although after the update I'm seeing some apps lagging a bit. In your opinion, should I go ahead and dive in head first or wait for the 4.4.2 update assuming it is software related. This is my first post and I've been enjoying reading all through the forums and have found some great information. It's nice to have a place like this with everyone helping each other. All comments are appreciated.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Default Re: Ready to buy! Just a bit nervous.

Make a Craigslist ad to sell the iPhone and see what kind of interest it brings. You may end up getting a good amount of cash that would be higher than just trading it in. I have had my AT&T Note 3 now for 3 weeks and was also concerned about the GPS. I have had zero problems with it and I have been testing it extensively. There is another thread on the GPS Signal Lost issue that discusses the matter. Good luck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.
    Thanked by 2:

if you rely on your phones gps service and need direction commonly i'd hold off on the purchase.
    Other then that its a great phone!
    you can also wait see if the price on the phone goes down.
    Like they said above try selling your phone on craigslist , Ebay , amazon ext maybe you get a bit more.
    Thanked by:

Buy a Garmin for directions and a note 3 for adventure. The only time I use my note 3 for turn by turn is if I forgot my garmin in my other vehicle...I use it minimal on note 3..but don't remember any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Who am I? Well sir, that's classified!

If I've helped you, hit the THANKS button!

Note 3 AT&T

also remember if you buy , then return there is a restocking fee i believe .
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

To billmunson....I would go to the AT&T store and try to see if they have a newer stock of the Note 3. While I believe a large number of the earlier Note 3's have GPS issues....I may be proven wrong here.... but I think the newer stock have begun to have the issue of unstable GPS fixed. It may indeed be a crap shoot as to which device to buy but to texter805....every AT&T Note 3 does NOT have this problem.

Thanked by:
    billmunson likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've got a friend who wants to buy it, so may go that route. Hopefully AT&T will still let me credit the amount owed. Would like to have it paid off in less than a year allowing me to sell and upgrade if I desire.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Assuming the one I buy has a fixable software issue, I have GPS in my truck so I'm covered that way. Just used to using my iPhone connected to ford sync. Think I'll take the risk and jump in head first. Thanks for all your input.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

^ No problem. Glad to provide some feedback. Let us know how things are.

Quote Originally Posted by billmunson View Post
    Assuming the one I buy has a fixable software issue, I have GPS in my truck so I'm covered that way. Just used to using my iPhone connected to ford sync. Think I'll take the risk and jump in head first. Thanks for all your input.
    That's right, JUST DO IT!!!

Note 3 AT&T
    Thanked by:
    billmunson likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by H3aTeRzz View Post
    That's right, JUST DO IT!!!
    Just got it and playing. Exciting.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Just got it and playing. Exciting.

Exciting times indeed. Btw, what is your manufacturer date ? You can find it by downloading Phone Info *Samsung*.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    Exciting times indeed. Btw, what is your manufacturer date ? You can find it by downloading Phone Info *Samsung*.

No issues with gps dropping. Thank goodness.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

No issues with gps dropping. Thank goodness.

That is good to know. Enjoy the Note 3. You will have no regrets.

Thinking of switching from iPhone 5s and would like to hear your thoughts after you've had an opportunity to use it, but i am concerned with losing iTunes; do you use iTunes and was it a concern with switching? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    Thinking of switching from iPhone 5s and would like to hear your thoughts after you've had an opportunity to use it, but i am concerned with losing iTunes; do you use iTunes and was it a concern with switching? Thanks.
    Just use Kies 3 to back up and restore. Go read up on it.

Note 3 AT&T
    sallenthornton likes this.

This breaks it down further for you, regarding using Kies in place of iTunes: KIES TUTORIAL | SAMSUNG

Note 3 AT&T

I went from iPhone5 and it is great not being tied to Itunes..
    That shouldn't be a concern at all..
    Loving the N3..

Default Re: AT&T Note 3: Ready to buy! Just a bit nervous.

I wish I had stuck with the iPhone.

• I am now paying more for my plan (surprise).
    • I miss many of the easy features of the iPhone.
    • Setting up individual alerts on contacts is difficult - simple stuff like that pisses me off.
    • Anyone who had my cell in their iPhone as a contact could not text me until they deleted that contact and set it up again (SO NOT OK)
    • Today my phone battery is almost dead because the usb3 cable is no longer working - so I have to get one (non standard and check out the recharging adapters)

Sell it on eBay. Att offered me $99 trade for my note 2 and I sold it for $315. I always sell my phone on eBay.

don't worry about the gps issue it is rare to be using GPS while switching from LTE to 4g. I use my GPS all the time and it has never happened to me. The 4.3 build it comes with its very stable. Even more stable than 4.4.2.

Setting up contact alerts is simple. Click on the contacts app then choose a contact. then click on ringtone or alerts and pick one. It's very easy. When I switched from iPhone5 none of my contacts had to remove me from their phone nor did my wife's contacts have to do that.

Att next is a cheaper option if you upgrade every year for the cost of the tax. If you would rather wait 2 years then next is more expensive.

Also eBay has seller protection and craigslist doesn't. Also auction format gets you the most money (eBay) craigslist is negotiation and only one buyer so you get less money. EBay though will take a week to get your money after it sells through pay pal.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

This article sort on sums up most of my feelings. Although, I came from iPhone.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...-note-3-2014-3

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I've heard Kies works well. I used easy phone sync. Got the app on my phone, downloaded the free software on my mac, and sat back and waited. Everything transfered great.

I love everything about my Note 3 except for the GPS issues. Was a long time iPhone user. Hope you keep enjoying yours Bill.

Thanked by:

Kit Kat 4.4.2 was released for att note 3 today. The gps issue has been fixed.

Mike
    Blue AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3
    billmunson likes this.

Just put thought into getting a Galaxy Note 3 and AT&T releases a long awaited update. Talk about convenient!