Note 3, KitKat, /sdcard, External SDCards, and...

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, so people have been saying that beginning with KitKat external SDCards can't be arbitrarily written to. Like, I can't simply write data to anywhere on the external SDCard (/storage/extSdCard, not /sdcard).

So, I updated my AT&T Note 3 to the new KitKat version and opened up ES File Explorer to do some testing. I copied my Music folder from /sdcard to /storage/extSdCard and much to my surprise... the file copy worked. I opened up the folder and there were the files. I then deleted that copied folder and again, the delete process worked.

I even made a new blank file in /sdcard using ES File Explorer and sure enough... I was able to make that blank file with no error messages.

Wait a second, I'm confused. I thought that based upon everything that people have been saying concerning KitKat that I should not have been able to do that. But I did just that and I received no error messages.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, i see now, the KITKAT has finally been released. I purchased a second Note 3 to use as my work cell, and it upgraded from MJ5 to NB4, but when I hit the check for update, it says mine is the current. Guess its going to filter eventually to everyone.

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got the official OTA update this morning from AT&T.

Model Number
SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

Android Version

Baseband Version
N900AUCUCNC2

Kernel Version
3.4.0-722276
dpi@SWDD5508 #1
Sat Mar 15 17:42:59 KST 2014

Build Number
KOT49H.N900AUCUCNC2

SE For Android Status
Enforcing
SEPF_SAMSUNG-SM-N900A_4.4.2_0007
Sat Mar 15 17:42:42 2014

Security Software Version
MDF v1.0 Release 2

SIDHARTH SOOD

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Not worth going for. Can't sync my email account, none off the call recorder applications work.I miss you jelly bean

Posted via Android Central App

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, i see now, the KITKAT has finally been released. I purchased a second Note 3 to use as my work cell, and it upgraded from MJ5 to NB4, but when I hit the check for update, it says mine is the current. Guess its going to filter eventually to everyone.

Just curious. Why but a second one over using KNOX Personal to craft a isolated phone for work.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just curious. Why but a second one over using KNOX Personal to craft a isolated phone for work.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Well, because I wanted 2 phones! Its important to me to have a personal life... meaning that when I'm off, I turn off my work phone. You see, my company provided me with an iphone for work, now that I've put on my big boy pants, and switched to Android, I do not like using their toy, so I swapped their sim into my note 2, that I had laying around as a spare.

My wife gave me some more allowance this month, so I purchased an additional note 3 today, to use for my work phone. Hope that explains it :-D

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
OK, so people have been saying that beginning with KitKat external SDCards can't be arbitrarily written to. Like, I can't simply write data to anywhere on the external SDCard (/storage/extSdCard, not /sdcard).

So, I updated my AT&T Note 3 to the new KitKat version and opened up ES File Explorer to do some testing. I copied my Music folder from /sdcard to /storage/extSdCard and much to my surprise... the file copy worked. I opened up the folder and there were the files. I then deleted that copied folder and again, the delete process worked.

I even made a new blank file in /sdcard using ES File Explorer and sure enough... I was able to make that blank file with no error messages.

Wait a second, I'm confused. I thought that based upon everything that people have been saying concerning KitKat that I should not have been able to do that. But I did just that and I received no error messages.
Yes, I was expecting the same file write restriction to external sd card but I used ES File Explorer and File Manager by rhythm software and it had no limitation or restriction. It was free to create folder and moves and copies file to any folder including system folder like DCIM and such.

BUT, tubemate(an excellent youtube downloader on AMAZON app store) can no longer dumps file anywhere it wants. While it can on the internal storage, on the external sd card, it is limited to /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/devian.tubemate.amazon/files. You can't create folder above the assigned one but you can below it, i.e below ....devian.tubemate.amazon/files like /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/devian.tubemate.amazon/files/mp3/rocks/VanHalen... etc.

I think Google lifted the restriction on third party file managers so now they have free range over the external sd card like it did before kitkat but non file manager app type are restricted to their own directory. I think that is great. Novice user will not have files littered everywhere and experienced users can organize files however they want.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, because I wanted 2 phones! Its important to me to have a personal life... meaning that when I'm off, I turn off my work phone.

A much less expensive solution would be to use Blocking mode to prevent your work contacts from reaching you during your off hours. Or you could use a Google Voice number for work, and forward it to your phone only during business hours.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was expecting the same file write restriction to external sd card but I used ES File Explorer and File Manager by rhythm software and it had no limitation or restriction. It was free to create folder and moves and copies file to any folder including system folder like DCIM and such.

BUT, tubemate(an excellent youtube downloader on AMAZON app store) can no longer dumps file anywhere it wants. While it can on the internal storage, on the external sd card, it is limited to /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/devian.tubemate.amazon/files. You can't create folder above the assigned one but you can below it, i.e below ....devian.tubemate.amazon/files like /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/devian.tubemate.amazon/files/mp3/rocks/VanHalen... etc.

I think Google lifted the restriction on third party file managers so now they have free range over the external sd card like it did before kitkat but non file manager app type are restricted to their own directory. I think that is great. Novice user will not have files littered everywhere and experienced users can organize files however they want.

Or the guys behind ES File Explorer just updated their app to work properly with Kit Kat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome