Keyboard/ Emoji on KitKat?

gadget22

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. In order to use Emoji's on KitKat do you have to use google keyboard? I have swiftkey, so I'm just wondering if I can use emojis with Swiftkey as my default keyboard?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can. It will MAYBE display a bit different on the Google Keyboard than it does in the Swiftkey keyboard, but yeah, both keyboards support Emojis. And KitKat now has a 'revamped' set of emojis to display, too, so they will look a bit different than they do in JellyBean.

CRUZR

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 emoji keyboards showing up under languages. One looks like the IOS emoji's and the other like Android emoji's.
It sure is a pain to have to go all the way into languages each time you want to change keyboards. At least I couldn't find a "toggle" to choose the different keyboards on the main keyboard. I hit every key trying to toggle between them. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 emoji keyboards showing up under languages. One looks like the IOS emoji's and the other like Android emoji's.
It sure is a pain to have to go all the way into languages each time you want to change keyboards. At least I couldn't find a "toggle" to choose the different keyboards on the main keyboard. I hit every key trying to toggle between them. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
OK, the reason you're seeing emojis differently is because of the keyboard you're using. For instance, if you use Whatsapp, it has its own set of emoji renders, but if you're typing on, say, Twitter, the emoji available is only what your keyboard has.

Now, if you use SwiftKey, it uses the 'system' emoji display, but if you use Samsung's Keyboard or Google's, they use their own emoji renders. In the end it's the same emoji, but they display it differently. And actually, when people receive your message with emojis, it will depend on THEIR system on how it displays them.

Oh, and the only way to switch keyboards, I'm afraid, is to use the Select Input option. Whenever you're typing something, a 'keyboard' icon should appear on your notification bar (if you're on JellyBean and up). Just tap that, select the keyboard you want, and you're done. Bear in mind that whatever you choose (and leave open after you're done typing) will be the keyboard that will be summoned the next time you're typing.

Last edited: