Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 67srbell
  • 1 Post By dorrien12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kitkat update no longer allows Google to be default save location for new contacts!!

This is very frustrating as now each new saved contact saves to the device and NOT Google (preventing contacts from wirelessly syncing to one's Google account).

Additionally, there is no way to make Google the default save destination!!

Has anyone else seen this yet??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    rwarrens likes this.

I just noticed that today. That's crazy, you have to now hit the drop down box, it's in the right hand corner and it's a light Grey arrow on a white box, at first glance you'll miss it. But you can select google. As far as making that the default, haven't figured that out yet.

Posted via Android Central App
    AgentScribe likes this.

Default Re: Kitkat update no longer allows Google to be default save location for new contacts!!

Just checked contacts I saved over the weekend. I also can't find a way to turn them into Google contacts without recreation of the info.

This is some bull.

Thanked by:

Default Re: Kitkat update no longer allows Google to be default save location for new contacts!!

Its an extra annoying step that we have to adjust to. At least we can still choose Google as an option from the drop down list.

Sent from my 2014 Note 10.1
    Galaxy S4 ATT (Retired)

Galaxy S3 VZW (Retired)

Xoom LTE VZW (Retired)

Nexus 7 2012 (Retired)

Nexus 7 2013 (Retired)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Note 10.1 2014 Ed.

Galaxy S5 ATT

Quote Originally Posted by coreyacole View Post
    I also can't find a way to turn them into Google contacts without recreation of the info.
    Can't you export them from your device to your SD card, then import them from there to Google?

The point is that since the stupid update they made it an extra step.

Global Posts
    5,010 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Is this an AT&T move, I know when I had my GN3 every time I opened contacts it wanted to upload them to their cloud storage and there is no way I would put my contacts in AT&T's hands let alone any carriers. So it must be something they did.

I was searching on my Google Contacts via the Web today for a certain company that I know for a fact I saved on my phone. I started freaking out, but when I went to the phone and pulled up the same company, I noticed the Cell Phone icon and thought, "What the F is this all about?" Spent the past hour on every single solitary Android forum known to man, women, and child, but no resolution to this issue.

I just went in and viewed DEVICE ONLY and manually took a bunch of important stuff saved to DEVICE and cut and pasted it to GOOGLE ONLY. What a pain. Samsung/AT&T/Android drop the ball on this one. Maybe we can start a petition on WhiteHouse.gov?

Not to intrude into your forum but my T-Mobile Note 3, running 4.4.2, does not have this problem. When I add a contact it defaults to my google account that I set up the phone with. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's an ATT only problem - you guys might want to ask them to get rid of whatever change they made in the next update.

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts

Also..no option to make google now the default home/launcher...only touch wiz or nova (any third party launcher)..other carriers are able to use the Google launcher...

I'm having the exact same problem and it's a HUGE pain!

Yes.. I had this problem on my SM-N900
    All I had to do was to save a contact using google account (after pressing the + button on the top right), then it automatically selected Google account to save contacts onto..

I am not sure if it will work on your devices, but it is worth a try

Moreover, you can try to choose from the menu (merge accounts) and choose google, this will be import all non-google contacts to google

Hope I have been of help

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

There are other contact apps (Go Contacts, KK Contacts) that default to the Android main account on the phone for a new contact, or give you the choice of where to list the contact (Go is obtrusive - you have to choose an account or the phone itself before you can enter anything else).

the question was also what if it is not on the drop down. I had google in the drop down and it is no longer an option. what then?????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by dorrien12 View Post
    I just noticed that today. That's crazy, you have to now hit the drop down box, it's in the right hand corner and it's a light Grey arrow on a white box, at first glance you'll miss it. But you can select google. As far as making that the default, haven't figured that out yet.

The question was what to do if google is not in the drop down!

Did you find out how to get google in the drop down at least? It disapeared on my phone. no google option? WTF