note 3 gps issues....still?

feisty007

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
My gps will not locate me at all.. Just sits there saying waiting for location. Smh

Posted via Android Central App
Had the same problem with my old note 3 so bought a new one.
started researching note 3 gps hardware issues. turns out the gps antenna contacts on my old one weren't contacting the antenna properly.... 10 minutes and a small screwdriver later and all is fixed. yeehah!!! I can get a fix in 4 seconds. I too was convinced it was software till I compared it to a mates that was identical.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Flyin2low

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Just an update, I took my phone to an at&t store and following protocol, flashed my note.......which caused it to brick. So I got a replacement on the spot and so far everything seems like it should. I'll know for sure in a couple days when I go back to work. That when the gps is really tested

Posted via Android Central App
Have you been back to work yet, since 5/12/14?

myf355spider

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to get any type of signal lock on my GPS. I've had this phone for about 3 weeks. It is a Remanufactured AT&T phone with an original build of 9/13 and I'm using Cricket. I believe the GPS worked fine the first week or so. I did think it was a bit off using RunKeeper for tracking distance, so maybe it has always been bad. It might have just been using aGPS and mobile network data to determine location which is super slow to update and track, as well as being very inaccurate for specific distance (like running).

I first noticed the problem last week using RunKeeper and Endomondo. Although, I know Google Maps had lagged prior. Anyways, when running last week, I couldn't get the GPS signal at all. It wouldn't track distance at all. I tried disabling GPS and Google Locations a few times, several reboot cycles, and finally got a GPS signal for the last 10 minutes or so. Quite annoying. Since then, I've used the app GPS Status to look at satellites, and for awhile get 0/0 fix/sats. I tried researching and playing around, determining that it was likely a software issue. I'm current on KitKat 4.4.2 non-rooted (no plans to for Knox purposes). I found that I had disabled the stock AT&T apps, and by enabling the AT&T Family Maps and Navigator restored my signal for about a day, and since I haven't gotten it back.

I finally gave up and did a factory reset, which hasn't helped one bit. I'm not sure what my support network should be between AT&T, Samsung, and Cricket. GPS Status generally shows between 0/13 and 0/28 satellites. Which I'm not sure I entirely understand, but as I understand it, the phone is seeing that many satellites, but not locking into any of them?

I opened the back of the phone and checked the antenna contacts. They appear to be in good shape/alignment, so I don't see that being an issue.
What else can I do and/or who should I contact on this?
Thanks

feisty007

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I can't seem to get any type of signal lock on my GPS. I've had this phone for about 3 weeks. It is a Remanufactured AT&T phone with an original build of 9/13 and I'm using Cricket. I believe the GPS worked fine the first week or so. I did think it was a bit off using RunKeeper for tracking distance, so maybe it has always been bad. It might have just been using aGPS and mobile network data to determine location which is super slow to update and track, as well as being very inaccurate for specific distance (like running).

I first noticed the problem last week using RunKeeper and Endomondo. Although, I know Google Maps had lagged prior. Anyways, when running last week, I couldn't get the GPS signal at all. It wouldn't track distance at all. I tried disabling GPS and Google Locations a few times, several reboot cycles, and finally got a GPS signal for the last 10 minutes or so. Quite annoying. Since then, I've used the app GPS Status to look at satellites, and for awhile get 0/0 fix/sats. I tried researching and playing around, determining that it was likely a software issue. I'm current on KitKat 4.4.2 non-rooted (no plans to for Knox purposes). I found that I had disabled the stock AT&T apps, and by enabling the AT&T Family Maps and Navigator restored my signal for about a day, and since I haven't gotten it back.

I finally gave up and did a factory reset, which hasn't helped one bit. I'm not sure what my support network should be between AT&T, Samsung, and Cricket. GPS Status generally shows between 0/13 and 0/28 satellites. Which I'm not sure I entirely understand, but as I understand it, the phone is seeing that many satellites, but not locking into any of them?

I opened the back of the phone and checked the antenna contacts. They appear to be in good shape/alignment, so I don't see that being an issue.
What else can I do and/or who should I contact on this?
Thanks
My antenna contacts had to be bent to an angle of about 35 degrees. Maybe they are still not contacting properly. Sounds like exactly the same issue I had.

pjacobs76

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem with my old note 3 so bought a new one.
started researching note 3 gps hardware issues. turns out the gps antenna contacts on my old one weren't contacting the antenna properly.... 10 minutes and a small screwdriver later and all is fixed. yeehah!!! I can get a fix in 4 seconds. I too was convinced it was software till I compared it to a mates that was identical.

I just wanted to say thanks for this bit of info. I am on Sprint Network, but I've been having GPS issues for several months now. I came across this post today and so I opened my phone up and found that my antenna connector was loose. Once I connected it back on, I haven't been having any GPS issues so far today. Before today, I couldn't even lock onto GPS at all. It must have come loose from dropping it at some point, so I really appreciate your info.

Laura Sclar

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I found the problem with the GPS connection on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I took off the back cover, removed the battery and the SD card, and then put them back in after a couple of minutes. Suddenly my GPS signal was great. Download the app, "GPS Status Test and Fix", to test the signal. However, when I put the case back on the phone, which just snaps onto the back, my GPS signal was lost again, and realized it was my case. The plastic base of my case has a shiny, metallic coating, which I think was blocking the signal. After taking the case off, the signal tested fine again. I recently bought this new phone case, the previous one was just plastic without a shiny coating. I hope this helps!

Jaques Connard

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to say thanks for this bit of info. I am on Sprint Network, but I've been having GPS issues for several months now. I came across this post today and so I opened my phone up and found that my antenna connector was loose. Once I connected it back on, I haven't been having any GPS issues so far today. Before today, I couldn't even lock onto GPS at all. It must have come loose from dropping it at some point, so I really appreciate your info.

Do you have a photo or a link to a drawing... showing where this is located? Did you have to remove any of the screws or is this something I should be able to see after removing the back cover and the battery?

svx

Jun 7, 2010
www.isv-knights.org
Do you have a photo or a link to a drawing... showing where this is located? Did you have to remove any of the screws or is this something I should be able to see after removing the back cover and the battery?

I too would like to know the location of the contacts. The GPS on my Sprint Note 3 simply will not get a fix using GPS Status on Stock 4.4.2. I have cleared aGPS and redownloaded, rebooted, tightened screws, etc and it just will not lock. I did have the phone serviced shortly after purchase in Feb for a defect on the camera lense so it is possible something did not get tightened down on the inside.

Any advice is appreciated.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I too would like to know the location of the contacts. The GPS on my Sprint Note 3 simply will not get a fix using GPS Status on Stock 4.4.2. I have cleared aGPS and redownloaded, rebooted, tightened screws, etc and it just will not lock. I did have the phone serviced shortly after purchase in Feb for a defect on the camera lense so it is possible something did not get tightened down on the inside.

Any advice is appreciated.

OK. So what do I look for to identify antenna contacts?

[Note 3] GPS Hardware Fix [Pics] [Instructio… | AT&T Galaxy Note 3 | XDA Forums

Dumetru

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have note 3 with sprint, and i have the 4.44 and Gps still is crap. Sometimes it works but does not update the turn by turn directions. Its frustrating now, maybe i just have to smash the phone in two.

Jass Preet

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if people are still having gps issue with their note 3. Just bought one yesterday and went out to do some backyard astronomy with sky map. Trouble is it cant figure out where I am. Checked compass app to calibrate and that isn't working either. None of the gps driven apps seem to bd work In V riggt now. Will try a reboot. Are people still having issues with their gps? Wondering if this might be the issue...and if there is a solution
FIXED
I am a tecnician.....Mine was doing the same...I thought I could help someone by posting here..
This worked for me and a lot of my customers.
Just pickup a small Philip screwdriver tighten all the screws at the back of your phone..its a simple and easy fix..DIY
It will start working as normal.

Best of luck

Snehal Kolambe

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
ditto!!
I have Note 3 and SG4 both, and I face no issues whatsoever with SG4 while using GPS.
However, the Note 3 takes forever to location any satellite. It's crazy, coz there is no problem in the hardware. If I keep the phone steady for 15-20 mins, all of a sudden it will lock on to some satellite. But 15-20 mins??? I mean it's heights!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just pickup a small Philip screwdriver tighten all the screws at the back of your phone..its a simple and easy fix..DIY
It will start working as normal.
I'm guessing that the spring connecting the GPS antenna to the motherboard is barely making contact, and by tightening the screws it's making better contact. That seems to be the area Samsung pays the least attention to - the tension of the antenna connectors. And it causes 3G/4G issues, GPS issues, lots of problems.

Snehal, install GPS Status & Toolbox and see exactly what the GPS receiver is doing. It should find the satellites within seconds, but it has to download the entire data load from each one without any loss. If it loses 1 bit in the entire load, it has to wait for the next data train and start again. A weak signal or a lot of electrical noise (or a local signal in the 1.5GHz region) can cause problems. If one phone works and the other doesn't, it's probably a spring contact not bent quite tight enough to be making a good connection - so it has to try to receive the data stream over and over.

Lu Tosta

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I am also struggling in fixing GPS on my Galaxy Note 3 (which is 3 months-old)...

Has anyone found out how to finally fix it up? I have downloaded the AGPS app, GPS fixer, so many things... I also turn on/off GPS when starting WAZE, but it insists on not working :'(

I am very upset, since I had bought this phone due to the large screen for Maps usage as well!

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I suspected that I had a hardware contact issue rather than a software issue because over the past couple of months the GPS was losing the position more and more frequently. Finally today it was working somewhat then suddenly didn't work at all, zero satellites found, even outdoors with a full view of the sky.

Tightening the screws TOTALLY worked for me. I would imagine that eventually I'll have to remove all the screws, bend and clean the contact but for now just the tightening bit made the GPS go from zero to hero instantly. Thanks for the tip!!

Pbpb2005

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever resolve your GPS issue? I have the same exact scenario i.e., certified new At&T Samsung Note 3, using Cricket Wireless, KitKat 4.4.2, GPS worked fine in the beginning then degraded. Takes forever to GPS lock, if it does. Only way to make it lock a little quicker is to use GPS Lock and/or GPS Status. I've done factory resets as well. Opened my phone and verified the GPS contacts were fine. I'm thinking to root but I'd rather not. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel