MMS Images from Verizon iPhones to AT&T Androids Corrupted enroute... please help.

thof68

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've seen some other threads on this but no specific solution, and some were not that specific on the actual issue on either end so I am posting hoping for some good help. I have also posted this to the AT&T forums as well.

Images from my mom (iPhone 4 on Verizon) and from my Aunt (iPhone 4 on Verizon) are being corrupted along the way for some reason. This is occurring about 50-80% of the time. I have read on some blogs this may be due to AT&Ts resizing of the image since Verizon's MMS images size is larger than AT&T. The MMS images are not viewable on my Galaxy Note 3 or my wife's Galaxy S5.

Here is what I know:

2 iPhones on Verizon send corrupted images to 2 different Android phones on AT&T. This rules out the phones on either end. An e-mailed version of the image works. Also, an iPhone on AT&T is totally fine, and so is a separate iPhone on Verizon (which is strange). So the phones individually do not seem to be the issue.

The files are corrupt. The stock android image viewer (processor) can not display these images. If I save the MMS image to the SD card and transfer to my computer, I can use Windows Image Viewer (works fine) or Photoshop CC to view the image. Photoshop CC throws an error that the image file is corrupted and/or truncated and prompts to continue. Clicking yes continues and there is a black bar visible at the bottom of the picture. Additionally on my Galaxy Note III, I can open the saved image using photoshop express. This tells me that 1) the image file is corrupt (perhaps truncated) and that 2) some image viewers handle this while the stock android viewer does not.

I have tried alternate image viewers but they do not appear to reach down to the stock image processing therefore the images are still gray.

Clearly the images are getting corrupted along the way, either with Verizon or with AT&T.

While I wait for AT&T's response, does anybody know how to replace the stock android image processor (not just gallery...it has to be deeper) that can be a workaround for this issue?

Thanks
Tony

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the files are being sent as attachments to an iMessage, there's going to be a problem. The iPhone has to be told that messages to your number have to be sent as SMS. The same sort of problem is occurring with MMS, but there's no way to tell iMessage to send pictures as MMS,

Apple claims to be working on a solution (the problem being, as always, that Apple had to invent its own way of doing things, even though everyone else already had a system that worked and agreed to use the same one), but I haven't heard that they're actually doing anything. Probably too busy hyping the iPhone 6.

Have iPhone users post the pictures to a picture hosting site and text you a link (which is what MMS is - an SMS with a link to the picture being held on a computer somewhere).