Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lynnpudas
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 beeps (melodically) off and on all day long?

Okay I love my galaxy note 3 email even more than my note 2 and I didn't think that was possible. But it beeps (melodically) off and on all day long. It sounds like some kind of notification but for the life of me I can't figure out what for and theirs nothing in the notification panel that tells me what it's for. Any ideas? I've turned off everything but what I want notifications for. Save me from a nervous breakdown.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Default Re: Note 3 beeps (melodically) off and on all day long?

There can be an unlimited number of reasons for notification sounds. You mentioned your email so it sounds like you have already determined the cause of it though. Does it stop then if you turn off email notifications? Is that how you determined it was your email that was the problem? If you are certain it is your email and you don't see any email notification messages when it happens then check to see if you are syncing any folders other than your inbox. See if you are getting new messages in those folders. I know this can happen with Gmail. Are you using any email clients/apps other than stock?

Other than email there are unlimited things that can be causing notification sound because any app you download can be the source. Even apps and settings that come with the phone can cause this. Any news apps can be notifying with every new feed update. Settings like wifi notification or having nfc on or accessibility settings to keep reminding you of unread notifications or any in app settings that are set to keep reminding you - calendar, messages, etc.

But if you have narrowed it down to your email like you said then it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Check if you are getting mail in folders other than your Inbox. Check if you are getting notifications from multiple email apps - you may not have turned off the ones you are not using and the notification does not get cleared. Check the accessibility reminder setting. Check any apps you have installed that control notifications, like light flow. You may be getting double notifications that are not cleared if you didn't turn off the original app notifications. Try using a different email app as a last resort or setting the email ring tone to silent, but you really should be able to fix this easy enough. Also there are separate settings in the stock email app for Priority sender notifications and then for individual email account notifications. Make sure you look at both settings.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have turned off all email notifications, Facebook etc. The only thing I leave on its phone & messaging. Email usually shows in the notification bar. I've turned off Gmail also because the only reason I have Gmail is for playstore. It's making me crazy. That's not hard to do so I don't need a thing else to help me be crazy.

If you have turned off email notifications and it's still happening then why are assuming it is your email that is the problem?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I never assumed it was my email. You were the one that mentioned email. I was hoping someone who had a note 3 might know what it is. What's bugging me is that I keep getting this sound that I'm assuming is a notification of something and there's nothing the notification bar. Usually, at least for most of the apps I have, a notification sound is paired with a symbol in the notification bar and this one is not. Why notify me if I don't know what it's for. That's like giving someone on a deserted island, $40 and there's nowhere to spend it. I can't do anything about a notification if I don't know what it's for. And if it's for something I don't want, I'd disable it.

You said it was your email in the first and second sentence of your post. That was the whole reason I wrote the long post. If that is not what you meant then you should proofread your posts before asking for help in order not to waste people's time who are trying to help you. Well, I mentioned several other things for you to check and you didn't say if you did any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    You said it was your email in the first and second sentence of your post. That was the whole reason I wrote the long post. If that is not what you meant then you should proofread your posts before asking for help in order not to waste people's time who are trying to help you. Well, I mentioned several other things for you to check and you didn't say if you did any of that.
    I think "email" was a word that was inserted by auto correct since there is no such thing as "Note 3 email" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    I think "email" was a word that was inserted by auto correct since there is no such thing as "Note 3 email" at all.
    Well, I figured they meant stock email on the Note 3, and since email is one of things that cause a problem like this it made sense in context. Apparently from their last post, it was a typo or autocorrect.

What really annoys me is that they did not even bother to check any of the many things I told them could be the cause besides the email settings. I seem to be much more willing to spend time on fixing their problem than they are if they won't even press a few buttons to check the settings I mentioned, so I'm done with this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

You are right Kelly, it just got in there and couldn't figure why jpr was so fixated on email. Emails leave little letters in the messaging bar. And jpr I didn't see it when I proofread my post. I always proof. But I guess we are not all as perfect as you. Now that neither of us are fixated on email, any ideas?

Kelly Kearns likes this.

First thing, I would turn on notifications on the phone and then I would open every single app, even if I thought I new it didn't have an audible notification setting and make sure every app is not getting notifications of any kind, including your messaging etc.

If the beeping stops after doing that, then start back, in order in the app drawer, turning about 5 apps on and waiting a bit and see if the beeping starts back. You know about how long it is between the times it beeps. If it starts back, then start looking at notifications in the settings, and do the same thing.

How long after you had it, did it start this?

I just thought of a couple of things to check.

Do you have smart-wifi or any other of the AT&T apps still enabled?

Check Hangouts, Google+ and Flipboard, make sure you aren't accidentally signed in to them and that is their notification tone.

Also, does this happen at regular times? Does having the phone asleep or using it at the time, make a difference?

Can you go through the ringtones and notification tones and listen to each one and figure out which one it is and post the name?
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

It's been doing it since day 1. I think it has something to do with AT&T. It doesn't do it at regular times, it didn't all morning than about 2 or 3 times in the space of about 30 minutes. I think I'm being punished for liking my phone to much.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I just thought of a couple of things to check.

Do you have smart-wifi or any other of the AT&T apps still enabled?

Check Hangouts, Google+ and Flipboard, make sure you aren't accidentally signed in to them and that is their notification tone.

Also, does this happen at regular times? Does having the phone asleep or using it at the time, make a difference?

Can you go through the ringtones and notification tones and listen to each one and figure out which one it is and post the name?
    I had turned off a few. I'm not sure I want to turn off smart wifi. Come to think of it though, have wifi at school (school based speech pathologist) but I never use it on my phone because there are a lot of restrictions. If I want to check facebook, have 4g lte and it's fast so I don't need the wifi, particularly wifi with restrictions. I'll wait and see what happens. I turned off several apps that I don't use. There are a few things I'd shut off but not sure what they do so I'll wait.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Well, I figured they meant stock email on the Note 3, and since email is one of things that cause a problem like this it made sense in context. Apparently from their last post, it was a typo or autocorrect.

What really annoys me is that they did not even bother to check any of the many things I told them could be the cause besides the email settings. I seem to be much more willing to spend time on fixing their problem than they are if they won't even press a few buttons to check the settings I mentioned, so I'm done with this.
    Okay already, 1st off, for someone who says I should proofread my messages, I am a she not a they. One person singular. He might be acceptable but personally, I like being a she. Second, I apologize. I was posting on my cell and never saw the autocorrect "email" and could not figure out why you were fixated on email. Having gone back and reread my initial post, I can see where you might misconstrue what I was saying. I know it's not my email. I even checked gmail. I am electronically somewhere between a computer whiz and a total electronics *****. Since I recognize that I'm not a computer whiz (although since I'm an older than the hills, born in the era of prop planes and cell phones were no where to be found and in fact, I never owned a cell phone until I became a grandmother, I'm a computer whiz for my age and yes this is a run on sentence), I'm afraid to turn off gmail because of the playstore but that is the only reason I have a gmail account. And I did check out much of what you said. I've turned off a few more apps and I'll see if that helps. It beeped about 3 times this afternoon in the space of 15 minutes but I don't think it has since then. Or I've become used to the beep. It may have something to do with the smart wifi app. I like it because it turns wifi on and off. I just checked the settings and I turned it down to "My Spots" so perhaps that will fix the annoying beep. At any rate, I will go back and thank you so you know I read your post and attempted some of your fixes.

No don't turn on smart wifi. Just wondering if you have any apps that come pre-installed you are signed into.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

No don't turn on smart wifi. Just wondering if you have any apps that come prejnstithst you at signed into.

None that I don't usually use. I do use the native messaging service but I've set a ring tone for that. I turned off smart wifi and it still beeped. I've gotten so I really don't hear it and when I do I ignore it because I know it has nothing to tell me.

Is it an installed ringtone?

Oh and I thought you said you aren't sure you want to turn ON smart-wifi.

Yeah you want to disable that. It interferes with your wifi connection and no wifi is not counted as data.

Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Oh and I thought you said you aren't sure you want to turn ON smart-wifi.

Yeah you want to disable that. It interferes with your wifi connection and no wifi is not counted as data.

But will my wifi at home or some places I use it at still connect automatically? If so, I will gladly turn off smart wifi. I just like that it does it for me cuz I'm ancient with no memory skills remaining.
    I did figure out the beep finally. It was my email. I swear I checked it a gazillion times. I had my tablet and phone out and my tablet beeps when I get an email. Lo and behold, I got an email and my phone and tablet beeped together. So went back into settings and realized I'd turned off the envelope notification in the status bar and for some reason still had it notifying audibly. I swear, I'm an ***** some days. I've been putting up with the beep for 2 weeks and it was that easy to solve. So I've reset it for no audible or vibrating notifications but it does show me an envelope in the notifications bar. No more beeping. Yay!!! I'm about beeped out.
    Thanks so much for your help. It was truly appreciated.

Yeah, if you have connected somewhere, it will still automatically connect. I disable smart wifi and when I go to my mother's, my phone connects automatically. Smart wifi can cut your wifi off when it thinks you aren't using it, etc.

Yeah, if you have connected somewhere, it will still automatically connect. I disable smart wifi and when I go to my mother's, my phone connects automatically. Smart wifi can cut your wifi off when it thinks you aren't using it, etc.

I think I know the sound. My wife's phone's sound is like when you use the S-voice. She doesn't know what she did.