[Note 3] noob questions

ecchigo

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys new here :) Sorry if these are obvious/dumb questions. My parents just got their phones (S5/Note3) from at&t yesterday. They are going to send the Note 3 to me here in the Philippines. Anyways, my questions are...

When i sim unlock it here, will i still be able to update it to 4.4.2 or not anymore? Should I have them update it there first before sending it (for now they haven't even inserted the battery yet). My sister got her Note 2 the same way last year and according to her, she can't update it (stuck at 4.1.1). Dunno if she did something wrong or something.

How does updating work for at&t/samsung? I mean my nexus 7 if i remember right automatically downloaded the update but won't install it till i manually do so. Is it the same for at&t/samsung?

And lastly bout this SD card issue in kitkat, can someone please tell me if i understood it correctly. Does the at&t Note 3 have this problem? I can no longer for example move a downloaded file from the internal storage to the SD card and vice versa? Or edit/copy/delete files that are in the SD card? Can I still go to apps settings and still have the option to Move to SD card? Sorry for the number of questions. Thanks :)

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Forums!

1. You should have them update it before sending.

2. If I'm not mistaken, if on 4.4.2, it will automatically update, I COULD BE WRONG. Don't remember.

3. I'm on 4.4.2 and "cannot move" apps to sd card. My camera app will automatically put pictures on sd card though; there were some reporting that it would not move pics to sd, but mine works fine.

Hope this helps some!

Have a great day!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Since it's a carrier branded phone, you can only update OTA if you are on their network, which you won't be in the Phillipines.

You can still do all those things with the SD card.

ecchigo

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Just need more feedback on this SD card thing so I can go ahead with the update since I'll be stuck to 4.3 or 4.4.2 unless I send it back to them i guess.

@H3aTeRzz - Just to be clear. I'm only on a cheap Huawei (4.1.1) right now so I'm not sure how it works on other devices. When I enter settings then Manage Apps then pick an app there, I have the option to Force Stop, Uninstall, Move to SD card (or phone if you moved it to the SD card before), Clear Data and Clear Cache. You're telling me your "Move to SD card" option won't work in your Note 3?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'll defer to people with an AT&T note to say how their phone works but on my T-Mobile Note 3, running 4.4.2, I've moved about 200 apps to the SD card and have over 200 more that I could move there if I wanted to.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
On my Note 3 AT&T running 4.4.2 KK, "Move to SD Card" is grayed out and unavailable to click! All other options you mentioned are accessible.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got a note 3 from at&t about a month ago. It came with 4.4.2 installed. I was expecting to turn the phone on and be immediately notified of an update. Although, it's possible the salesman did it but I don't think so. If your parents are unsure, tell them to go into settings, then general and about device. It will tell them what version of android is on the phone.

Last edited:

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, didn't read the whole post. I move apps on my note 3 all the time. Some apps will when I move them will pop up with a warning and those I don't move but the rest I do.

ecchigo

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I just got a note 3 from at&t about a month ago. It came with 4.4.2 installed. I was expecting to turn the phone on and be immediately notified of an update. Although, it's possible the salesman did it but I don't think so. If your parents are unsure, tell them to go into settings, then general and about device. It will tell them what version of android is on the phone.
Thanks for replying :) They haven't turned it on yet. But according to the salesman it was on 4.3.

ecchigo

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Question bout the battery, since they turned it on already. It will take at least a month before it arrives here. Should they leave the battery inside the phone or remove it? Is there an effect on the phone if the battery isn't in the phone for a long time? Should it be fully charged first before switching it off?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Question bout the battery, since they turned it on already. It will take at least a month before it arrives here. Should they leave the battery inside the phone or remove it? Is there an effect on the phone if the battery isn't in the phone for a long time? Should it be fully charged first before switching it off?

Batteries are considered hazardous. Lithium ion batteries can potentially explode, catch fire, realease hazardous substances. How you ship a cell phone with removable battery depends on the method of transport (e.g. air, boat) , country regulations, and shipping carrier regulations. Since it is being shipped overseas, you have to make sure it meets both USA and Philippines regulations for international shipments. You should look up your various shipment options and carriers and then when you decide on one you want to use follow their guidelines for shipment.

Ideally you would remove the battery from the phone and put it in separate safe packaging to prevent it from short circuiting. If your parents were going to ship by USPS, however, they would only be allowed to ship with the battery in the phone. In this case you have to make sure the phone can not in any way be turned on in a fall or if the box is crushed. So there is not one answer when shipping overseas because it depends on a combination of all the regulations of both countries and the individual carrier rules.

The ideal charge for a lithium battery in storage is 40%. This is the charge that manufacturers ship batteries because it is the point at which there is the least aging effect on a battery. The phone will not be harmed by not having a battery in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay