Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default error loading mms picture messages

I've recently noticed that sometimes when people send me pictures over mms, I just get a broken image instead of the picture the person sent. I did figure out that if I saved the picture to my phone, I could then open it in the gallery after rebooting the phone. The image still appears broken in the messaging app. I'm just using the regular sms and mms messaging app that comes with the phone. I'm running kitkat 4.4.2. This problem started recently. I was upgraded to kitkat probably 2 or 3 months ago.
    I know in one instance, the person sending me the message is also an android user, but they are on Verizon.

16,203 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,205 Global Posts
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Default Re: error loading mms picture messages

There are a few things that can cause that problem - a picture format that you have no app to display, a bad app on the user's end, trying to download the picture after the time limit expired (that was a new one on me), a bad download (it's unusual for data to transfer improperly on the internet, but considering how much data flows over it every day, one bad picture per minute is a very tiny percentage of the total traffic), a bug in your messaging app (try using another one - install one from the Play store just to try) ...

Unfortunately it's not like a flat tire - there's no definitive answer as to why it's happening. (The fact that the sender is on Verizon shouldn't make any difference - we got that mess [not being able to send pictures between carriers] sorted out about 12 years ago.) My wife regularly gets pictures from my daughter. My wife's on Verizon [Edit: on AT&T - my mind was on vacation], on 4.4.2 on a Note 3, and my daughter is on Verizon with an old LG. Never had a problem except the expiration thing.

Default Re: error loading mms picture messages

I've had this issue too, and it was only with people from verizon. Sometimes it works great, and others not at all.