Note 3 ruined by new update?

f1wannab

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My Note 3 notified me that there was an update today. My wife's phone received same update message. Her phone updated fine. Mine installed the update 0-100% then stated "update complete" then went black and shut down. holding power down would do nothing. Removed battery, replaced battery. Hold down power button. Galaxy logo comes up, then in the top left corner it stated "recovery booting". next the phone goes thru the 0-100 installation of the update, states complete and shuts off again.I've been thru this cycle half a dozen times. Holding power and volumne up doesn't help. ARGH!
What can I do?:(

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:

Just spoke with AT&T support, they have no idea whats going on ( surprise) they were not aware of any issues with the update at all, gave zero helpful solutions, and advised me to drive to the warranty center here locally to have them look at it. When I inquired about possibly getting an upgrade, (I'm on the NEXT Plan) they are telling me that they have no known reports of update issues and that this must be something Ive done, and have to pay out to upgrade... a little frustrating to be sure. I will drive to the store, and have them look at it later this morning, but Im not confident they will be able to resolve it since it wont even go into recovery to allow a cache clear, etc. I kept this thing stock on purpose to avoid warranty/knox issues, so its not a root issue or any type of software hacking on my end. Im kind of feeling that i should at least be given an option to upgrade because NOT MY FAULT. If anyone knows anything about the NEXT program and if there is a way of not being forced to pay out on a unit or clearing that to upgrade feel free to chime in.

UPDATE #2
So back from AT&T , They ended up completely wiping the phone and resetting everything to clear the issue. AVOID 4.4.4 for a few weeks if possible!

Last edited:

f1wannab

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Crispy. I kept mine stock to for the same reason. I went to the retail At&t store they were able to get it into Odin mode that has the green android character on the screen. They gave me the phone back while still in Odin mode and it was downloading something, but they thought that the phone may have locked up because it had been in that screen for a while. They gave me the warranty repair number and said that was all they could do.
Don't you love it when they say they don't know anything about an issue and its not happening to other people. They said there was not AT&T update going on right now. They also tried to blame it on me and said the download it was doing must have been something I was doing at the play store updating some app.
Were they able to save any of your information before the wipe?

f1wannab

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
OK. I got it fixed!!! talked to a good tech at Samsung. He went thru all the possible options Restore, Samsung Kies3, ext. The problem was the phone was stuck in an update loop and would not respond. He gave me three final ideas. 1. go to a "company" AT&T store and they can wipe and restore phone to new factory specs. This option of course would result in loss of all data. 2. Send phone to Samsung and In a week or so I would get it backed wiped and restored. Also loosing all data. 3. Try taking the phone to Bestbuy. They have a computer program called "START" and it may be able to connect to the phone. I choose 3 first to hopefully save my data. The Samsung rep at Bestbuy was able to connect to the phone reinstalled the update and the phone is now fine!!!!! I told her that she is my hero! I am currently backing up my phone with Samsung Keis.
One last thing. The AT&T store told me my phone was out of warranty. Samsung told me it still under warranty. Don't trust The AT&T stores. They don't get paid if they cant sell you a new phone. CAll Samsung about warranty issues directly.

Zerkernaut

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Sometime issues are new and reps in stores are not aware till feedback gets back around. Just deal with warranty if the device is still in its 12 month period. Pretty simple. So far my two note 3 devices updated without issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae