Note 3 GPS Issues AT&T GPS Issues

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I know there are a couple of threads about this but was wondering if they found a fix for it. I read it could be as simple as changing out your SIM card and tightening the screws on the back of the phone. Any truth to this?

Posted via the Android Central App

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a TMO phone, but tightening the screws was an instant fix for me - from no lock no matter how long I waited to a lock within 5 seconds. If that doesn't fix yours, I posted in one of the other threads you're referring to a link to an XDA post about how to disassemble to find the GPS antenna and see if it needs physically tweaked.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a TMO phone, but tightening the screws was an instant fix for me - from no lock no matter how long I waited to a lock within 5 seconds. If that doesn't fix yours, I posted in one of the other threads you're referring to a link to an XDA post about how to disassemble to find the GPS antenna and see if it needs physically tweaked.

Ok thanks. My issue isnt locking on to my location. When I use my navigation I lose my GPS signal from time to time.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed after the 4.4.4 update I now get the GPS signal lost problem. Prior to that update the gps had zero problems. I am a bit irritated with this situation and continue to troubleshoot.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed after the 4.4.4 update I now get the GPS signal lost problem. Prior to that update the gps had zero problems. I am a bit irritated with this situation and continue to troubleshoot.

Yeah thats when my GPS issues started also. AT&T is well aware of this as I contacted them myself and they have a 30 page forum page on their community threads. Are people with the Note 4 having this issue also? I will be getting mine in February so hopefully its not a issue with that phone too.

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I too have noticed my navigation has started messing up after the update. I occasionally lose connection and the only solve I have found is to reload where I am going and about 99% of the time it navigates again with no issues. When I first got the phone (like most) navigation was terrible. After the big update it worked flawlessly and now here we are back to this! Smh

Posted via Android Central App

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 3 GPS Issues
AT&T GPS Issues

^ I have on multiple occasions had to reload the destination of travel 2 or 3 times for a single trip due to losing the GPS signal. I did not have this problem prior to 4.4.4. If AT&T is truly aware of this hopefully a resolution comes sooner rather than later. I bought my Note 3 in February 2014 and out of the box the GPS functioned perfectly. I am very annoyed about this.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^I use SNAV Navigator that works with Google's Maps and GPS Status Toolbox Pro and never had any problems prior to 4.4.4. I tried Waze before but didn't care for it. I have even recently installed GPS Test to run simultaneously with SNAV and Google Maps and there are problems keeping GPS connection still. I have downloaded AGPS data. What seems to be the issue with my Note 3 is that the GPS when capturing a location does not lock as fast as it used to and it won't hold my location like it used to. I strongly believe this to be an AT&T software issue.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
^I use SNAV Navigator that works with Google's Maps and GPS Status Toolbox Pro and never had any problems prior to 4.4.4. I tried Waze before but didn't care for it. I have even recently installed GPS Test to run simultaneously with SNAV and Google Maps and there are problems keeping GPS connection still. I have downloaded AGPS data. What seems to be the issue with my Note 3 is that the GPS when capturing a location does not lock as fast as it used to and it won't hold my location like it used to. I strongly believe this to be an AT&T software issue.
Nah, I'm VZW. I Have it too

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
AT&T GPS Issues

Interesting. How problematic has yours become?

I went to AT&T corporate store and had my SIM replaced. So far its working good. It always located my location but had problems dropping my location using navigation. I did a test run from the AT&T store to my house which is like 5 miles and it didnt drop once. I will keep testing it everytime I drive and see if the SIM was the problem. Will keep everyone updated

Posted Via AT&T Note 3

drisner

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
AT&T GPS Issues

I decided to bite the bullet. I backed up with Kies, did hard reset, and restored with Kies.

GPS is working very well now. It also fixed the SMS issues I was having and my phone is going much faster as well.

I think I'm going to do hard resets after all system updates from now on. Here's hoping Lollipop comes in February.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
When the note3 first launched on 4.2 the gps was horrible. You would lose signal every 30 seconds. I'd have to Swipe down and uncheck and recheck the gps toggle and then it would come back. The 4.4.2 update fixed all of that. Never had a problem after that. No I get the occasional signal lost issue with both gmaps and waze.

Sent from my Gameboy Color

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
AT&T GPS Issues

I decided to bite the bullet. I backed up with Kies, did hard reset, and restored with Kies.

GPS is working very well now. It also fixed the SMS issues I was having and my phone is going much faster as well.

I think I'm going to do hard resets after all system updates from now on. Here's hoping Lollipop comes in February.

I may have to bite the bullet too. Mine "sometimes" locks in when in "GPS only" mode when WiFi is off. If I switch to "High accuracy", which turns on WiFi, it sometimes locks right in. This is when I am NOT connected to a WiFi hotspot. Very inconsistent.

Anyone seen this? Did you fix it?

thx

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
AT&T GPS Issues

I may have to bite the bullet too. Mine "sometimes" locks in when in "GPS only" mode when WiFi is off. If I switch to "High accuracy", which turns on WiFi, it sometimes locks right in. This is when I am NOT connected to a WiFi hotspot. Very inconsistent.

Anyone seen this? Did you fix it?

thx

I am thinking about factory resetting as well. I just performed a complete backup on Kies 3. Now just bringing myself around to performing the data wipe.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
AT&T GPS Issues

I am thinking about factory resetting as well. I just performed a complete backup on Kies 3. Now just bringing myself around to performing the data wipe.
If you backup on kies and then restore doesn't that restoration recreate any problems you were having in the first place?

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^I only restored the phone, messaging, contact data, as well as the Samsung data like the S Notes and Scrapbook stuff. I performed the painful reinstall process of each individual application and the reconfiguration of the settings in every application. The first thing I did after a factory reset was check the GPS and it's connectivity. It seemed to connect pretty quick and stayed connected. I drove around today and the GPS performed trouble free. I will continue testing over the next few days before determining if it is fixed.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have begun using the GPS today in the locations that had suddenly become problematic after the 4.4.4 update. And since the complete factory reset a few days ago it is now connecting fast and staying locked without signal loss. So far so good.