Does tethering work on 4.4.3 and 4.4.4?

mrxmry

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Guys,
I am currently on 4.4.2 and the tethering through X Tether has been working flawlessly. I now want to update my ROM. Is X Tether still going to work?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Tethering (acting as a router) works on any computer that has at least 2 ports (Bluetooth, wifi and USB are ports). Will a particular app work on a particular device running a particular ROM - on a particular carrier, using a particular plan? Only someone who has tried the entire combination together can tell you that, and the odds of anyone doing exactly what you're doing, with your carrier and your plan posting here are slim.

That said, I don't see anything in the changelog that would have any effect on tethering.

ICONOCLASTASTIC

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does tethering work on 4.4.3 and 4.4.4? (Galaxy Note 3 AT&T 900A Straight Talk (4.4.2)(4.4.4)(5)

Hi,
let me answer this question because I have been working on this for weeks
(experimenting with different options)

I have a galaxy Note 3 AT&T 900A phone. It is unlocked.
I rooted it in all three versions of android (each time bringing it back to 4.4.2)
I am using a straight talk buy your own SIM card option the version that uses ATT towers.
--------> I can positively tell you this:
android 4.4.2 (NL2 base band) is what you want.

4.4.2 works with safestrap, repeatedly.
It roots easily with towel root,
exposed framework installs
moto tether installs.
you can wifi tether with straight talk. DONT abuse it.. I use it for emergencies mostly but it is a life saver if you are in a remote area and need
a laptop online

These are the two files you need:
com.dym.motoxtether_v5_aa815c.apk
de.robv.android.xposed.installer_v33_36570c.apk

4.4.4 you can root in 4.4.2 and upgrade and keep the root but safestrap will never work again.
exposed installs
mototether works and then imediately the straight talk network connection IS COMPLETELY DISABLED!!!!! NOT EVEN A PHONE CALL!
AS SOON AS YOU UNINSTALL MOTOTETHER AND REBOOT.. it works again.

5.0 you can root in 4.4.2 and upgrade to 5.0 and keep root.
safestrap will not work again
exposed will install but not work
no point in installing moto without exposed - you cannot tether.
the version of exposed you see online that is supposed to work with lollipop does not work on ATT phone bootloader is locked and safestrap really only works in 4.4.2 (let me rephrase it might work if you could install it - I dont think you can install on ATT phone)

Hope this help someone.. most of the time I spent trying all this is because I just could not find the answer anywhere on line.