Lollipop too bright!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't like lollipop for many, many reasons and if I can't get used to the changes, or fix them, I will have to seek an alternative. There are 2 issues I find acutely irritating. 1) The keyboard. I hate it and while I am now using a 3rd party keyboard, I am disgusted that I have to begin searching for a workable replacement. 2) The startup, settings and notification panel backgrounds are -far- too bright white. I am legally blind in one eye and this bright white causes me tremendous eye strain and pain. if I.darken rhe screen (20% seems to be the magic number) I can barely read the text without eye strain.and pain. In order.for this phone to work for me, I have to.close one eye while reading the darkened screen.

Before I'm forced to leave my once wonderful Note 3 for a phone I can more easily use, can.anyone offer any suggestions for a resolution to my dilemma? I just hate that these large companies think it's acceptable to force their ideas of what works, on me. I thought.this was my phone since I paid for it. Microsoft's Windows 8 horific interface caused me to return a laptop. This is no different

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

tunie

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
You can give an app call Lux a try, it will let you change more aspecs of the light than the stock brightness.

You can try going in to your settings, display, and change the display mode to basic to see if that takes the brightness out.

angrytentpole

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
This update really pisses me off, the settings I had before were fine and I kept all of the apps with older versions before it got bubbly (youtube when it was just a gray background, same with gmail etc).

The update woke me up vibrating loud as hell at around 2 am this morning and decided to auto-update itself a few hours later even though I didn't authorize it and repeatedly delayed it.

Similar to you, I always used my note3 with a dark theme, I had reading mode tint every vital app to an amber hue and I used a screen dimming program at night that I set to 20% of the lowest brightness (very very low).

I feel it's far too colorful now; samsung, I'm not a ******* child, I don't need it to be rainbow colored, thats why I stayed away from apple.

My biggest peeve with this update is that they removed my Action Memo widget. I had it sitting on one of the pages and it was easy to just scroll to and go through my memos quickly through the widget, now I'm forced to have it aggregated into S note and with a clustered view. Pinning the widget does no good as it's ******* 1x1 and I can't expand it anymore than that.

It's really upsetting that they did this and think it's acceptable as you said. They want their phone to look more like the flatter, bubbly iphone interface so much that I'm leaving samsung.

Skipping their note 5 or s6 edge because they want to be a bunch of ******* dickheads and force this imitation ios **** on me and going with the iphone 6+ unless I can find an acceptable stock android phone with decent battery life.

EDIT: Why did they remove app list view? I hate grid so much :'( samsung why

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your help. You know, I tried several different apps, but not the one you mentioned. I'd like to avoid paying for an app that may not work for me. What I've found is that, there are a lot of apps that act as dimmers, but that doesn't work for me because it dims everything. It's the background that is causing me so much difficulty. I can't dim the background without dimming the text, as well. I've since found a lot of complaints about the brightness issue on this phone and others, but there doesn't seem to be a fix. If I dim it to the point where it doesn't cause eye pain, then I can only read with my stronger eye. Doesn't that paint a pretty picture! :) I'm like a one-eyed gargoyle with my phone. No wonder all the men run when they see me.:) Joking aside, this is really a problem for me...uh...Samsung because I won't let this go.

I find it hard to believe that Samsung would force an aesthetic on me that I have no control over. I also resent having to jump through hoops to make a phone, that I paid a lot of money for over a year ago, work in the face of the damage Samsung caused. I refuse to do that. I will demand my money back if this isn't remedied. It's not my fault that I have vision problems. There are enough people who are upset about the brightness, among other things, to put Samsung on notice.

Anyway, my ranting is over. I sent an email to Samsung. I'll give them the benefit of a response before I move forward.

Thank you again. Sorry for all the ranting. I'm quite frustrated.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
No, sometimes venting is good for the soul. I hate the teal look also. I keep a dark wooded picture for my desktop to darken it some. I keep most of my apps in night mode. Since I installed lollipop on my phone and followed that by a factory reset, I've had to get all my settings back to where they were and I found something that might help.
Settings >device >accessibility >vision >negative colors. It's not that good if you have a photo for wallpaper, but will dim that nasty teal look.

Posted via the Android Central App

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This update really pisses me off, the settings I had before were fine and I kept all of the apps with older versions before it got bubbly (youtube when it was just a gray background, same with gmail etc).

The update woke me up vibrating loud as hell at around 2 am this morning and decided to auto-update itself a few hours later even though I didn't authorize it and repeatedly delayed it.

Similar to you, I always used my note3 with a dark theme, I had reading mode tint every vital app to an amber hue and I used a screen dimming program at night that I set to 20% of the lowest brightness (very very low).

I feel it's far too colorful now; samsung, I'm not a ******* child, I don't need it to be rainbow colored, thats why I stayed away from apple.

My biggest peeve with this update is that they removed my Action Memo widget. I had it sitting on one of the pages and it was easy to just scroll to and go through my memos quickly through the widget, now I'm forced to have it aggregated into S note and with a clustered view. Pinning the widget does no good as it's ******* 1x1 and I can't expand it anymore than that.

It's really upsetting that they did this and think it's acceptable as you said. They want their phone to look more like the flatter, bubbly iphone interface so much that I'm leaving samsung.

Skipping their note 5 or s6 edge because they want to be a bunch of ******* dickheads and force this imitation ios **** on me and going with the iphone 6+ unless I can find an acceptable stock android phone with decent battery life.

EDIT: Why did they remove app list view? I hate grid so much :'( samsung why

You can get app list view by installing a launcher. I've been using Nova Launcher for over a year and love it, though there are others. My app drawer is in list view. I also discovered that I can set the app drawer background to a darker color, so I chose a nice soft gray. It's awesome not to have that white screen blinding me. Yes, the colors are irritating. I feel like I'm in a candy store at Disneyland. It's rather unsettling. I can't for the life me understand why they felt the need to make such a well designed phone look like a child's story book. It's true. I'm not 10 years old, so all the color is completely lost on me, though I do find it irritating.

I'm not sure why they merged the Action Memos and S Notes. It kind of doesn't make any sense to me. If they would give me some settings options to darken the backgrounds, I'd learn to love the rest. It's kind of hard to love a phone you have trouble seeing.

I'm going to try a few more launchers to see if any of them can undo more of the damage Samsung caused.. Nova has an option to make the notification panel transparent, but it can only work in certain circumstances and it doesn't work for me.

Try some launchers before you throw in the towel. I'm giving Samsung an opportunity to remedy my issue and looking for solutions while I wait. I don't think they wanted to destroy my experience with their product. Don't get me wrong. I am acutely angry and irritated about this, but I think we should give them a chance to fix some of the issues.

tunie <---on to install more launchers>

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No, sometimes venting is good for the soul. I hate the teal look also. I keep a dark wooded picture for my desktop to darken it some. I keep most of my apps in night mode. Since I installed lollipop on my phone and followed that by a factory reset, I've had to get all my settings back to where they were and I found something that might help.
Settings >device >accessibility >vision >negative colors. It's not that good if you have a photo for wallpaper, but will dim that nasty teal look.

Oh you're too kind. I don't normally rant. Hey that negative setting is pretty neat! Okay, the picture on my desktop doesn't look too hot, but the notification panel isn't white anymore. It's black! Awesome, but for the neon red that has replaced the teal header.:eek: How do you put your apps in night mode?

Overall, the phone is fine. It's the stark, blazing white background in the notification panel and settings screen, along with that teal header that makes me crazy now. Nova launcher got rid of the stark white background in the app drawer so, I just need to find a launcher that will dull down and uncolor the notification panel and darken the settings screen.

Thanks for talking to the one-eyed gargoyle :) Yeah, not a pretty site.:)

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Eh, not all apps can be set to night. I do a lot of reading using moon reader pro and I have it set to night. Everything else is dimmed to about 20% or less. Just thought the negative coloring might help you.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It does help, thanks. At least the screens are black now. Now, if I could just get rid of the bright red header...

Thank you...