Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Red face AT&T Wifi?

Is there any way to stop the S4 from automatically connecting to an AT&T hotspot or Wi-Fi area? for example my phone connects automatically when i'm near an AT&T store lol..

I'm just worried about privacy issues.. and all the horror stories of people stealing your CC info etc through wi-fi (I don't know how possible that is, but nowadays anything is possible lol)

ALSO: what is the "Sync" button do in the pull down menu bar? I don't have it checked because i'm not quite to sure what it syncs?

Default Re: AT&T Wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by FitMomXtine View Post
    Is there any way to stop the S4 from automatically connecting to an AT&T hotspot or Wi-Fi area? for example my phone connects automatically when i'm near an AT&T store lol..

I'm just worried about privacy issues.. and all the horror stories of people stealing your CC info etc through wi-fi (I don't know how possible that is, but nowadays anything is possible lol)

ALSO: what is the "Sync" button do in the pull down menu bar? I don't have it checked because i'm not quite to sure what it syncs?
    I believe if you turn the Wifi toggle off, it will stop automatically connecting, as it is no longer looking for Wifi networks. The sync button allows the accounts on the phone i.e. email, facebook, tumblr, dropbox, to sync with your phone in the background. I choose to turn this off, as I don't use email for work and I am no longer on FB, so I really have no reason to keep sync on..
    Thanked by:

Try disabling the AT&T Wifi app. It did this on the iPhone too. It's quite annoying since their Wifi sucks and the LTE I get at the store is awesome. I just love how AT&T doesn't want people using its network. Forcing Wifi on customers. Wow.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Try disabling the AT&T Wifi app. It did this on the iPhone too. It's quite annoying since their Wifi sucks and the LTE I get at the store is awesome. I just love how AT&T doesn't want people using its network. Forcing Wifi on customers. Wow.
    I See AT&T Hot Spots and AT&T Smart Wi-Fi .. which one do I disable? or do I disable both?

It also bears mentioning that you can uninstall att smart wifi. The icon doesn't go away, but the app itself does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Its smart wifi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by FitMomXtine View Post
    I See AT&T Hot Spots and AT&T Smart Wi-Fi .. which one do I disable? or do I disable both?
    Disable smart wifi. That first showed up on the Note 2 and had cause lots of issues. The other one, Hot spots, will connect to ATT wifi like in starbucks if you have wifi on but does not turn on wifi if you have it off.

It is possible for the info on your phone to be seen on a "open" network. It is probably limited to the info on your phone so unless you store Credit card info you are probably ok. Also the sync button keeps your gmail and calendar etc synced with google or whatever the accounts you have. I would recommend keeping that enabled so you have real time data on your email- if you use gmail it will be immediate instead of waiting for you to manually sync.

On another issue, did you have the dropbox app preinstalled on your ATT S4. It seems Samsung is offering 50GB on dropbox on the S4 on by signing in on the preinstalled app. I know ATT has opted out of this offer in the past, like with the S3. Is this offer available on the ATT S4? Thanks.
    Last edited by planoman; 05-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Thumbs up Re: AT&T Wifi?

I have a Galaxy S4. The Wi-Fi kept connecting automatically. Drove me NUTS! It's the AT&T Smart Wi-Fi There's an owl in a tree. To the right of the owl is the Wi-Fi symbol. If it says enabled, click on that symbol. You will get a pop up box that says
    "This will turn off Wi-Fi and disable all AT&T Smart Wi-Fi's and
    Auto Wi-Fi connection functionality. Do you want to continue?"

I checked OK. You can manually turn the Wi-Fi back whenever you need it.

When you go into Wi-Fi settings there is a check box to connect to any ATT hotspot. If you disable ATT Smart Wi-Fi, but still have this check box checked you will still connect if your Wi-Fi is turned on. Uncheck it and problem solved.

Personally, I leave mine checked because I travel to Hilton properties a lot and they use ATT. When it connects automatically I don't have to log in. McDs also uses ATT hotspots.
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by:
    karel2 

Do you need to root the phone to delete this built-in app?

Quote Originally Posted by thrkrylog View Post
    It also bears mentioning that you can uninstall att smart wifi. The icon doesn't go away, but the app itself does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337