Galaxy S4 Slow WiFi Issues when using AES

soooperpotato

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Just got a new S4 and it works fine except for WiFi. I noticed a limit of a 4Mbps download speed (upload is fine) when using WPA2-PSK (AES) or (TKIP/AES) security modes on my router. All other 802.11n phones and computers in the house are hitting around 25-30+ Mbps download on this setting.

However, when I set the security mode to the older WPA2-PSK(TKIP), I get speeds at about 20 Mbps dowload on my S4. This is an improvement, but now using TKIP I've limited all other devices in my house to 802.11g speeds instead of the faster 802.11n speed that AES uses.

I exchanged the phone for a new S4 and I get the same issue with the new one.:'(

Does anyone else using WPA2-PSK (AES or TKIP/AES) security on there router have this issue? I've tried messing with every networking setting on the S4 and on my router to get this to work properly. I'm thinking my router is ok because I'm hitting 36 Mbps on my other WiFi devices. Thanks.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting it looks like I might be seeing the same thing. I'll have to test some more. I have a 30/5mbps connection at home and running a speed test on my phone got me about 3 meg down and 5 meg up

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong.

This is a test from a S3 on my wifi

abymenu8.jpg

And here is the results from my S4

eqa6yzud.jpg

soooperpotato

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting it looks like I might be seeing the same thing. I'll have to test some more. I have a 30/5mbps connection at home and running a speed test on my phone got me about 3 meg down and 5 meg up

It's strange, isn't it? Does changing your security mode on your router affect your results at all?

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Changing my setting to TKIP only hasn't affected anything aside from the fact that I can use WiFi on my phone with zero problems now! Are you on channel 11 or auto?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had forgotten to get back to this thread to post my updates to what I was seeing. For me, a reboot of my phone seemed to clear up the speed issues I was seeing on my S4.

So for me, not having an issue on my wifi using AES.

GioRodz55

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got my new SG4 and my wifi the same day, and I noticed the lack of speed in my S4 device, but in my other devices everything worked fine. Thanks to you, now it's fixed! That worked for me pretty well. Thank You!

cas109

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
If you have a router with IPv6 disabling it will fix the issue. Note 3 and 2 S4 Galaxys in the house and an IPhone5. The IPhone 5 connected to wifi and ran normal speeds. all Galaxys would just crawl if connected at all. after disabling IPv6 option in my router all galaxys are faster then the IPhone 5 now.

Felipe Cornejo

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 with the newest firmware from samsung I9505XXUGNF1 (Kitkat 4.4.2). My router is a Asus RT-AC66U to which My S4 connects to with max speed of 433 Mbps. My internet connection is 120 Mbps.

When I do a speedtest on the S4 I get results of over 110 Mbps, but when I'm downloading a file over LAN from the disk connected directly to the router I get download speed only of ~20Mbps (2.4 MB/s) which is very sucky!

My Laptop have only a N network card, and connects to the router with max 300 Mbps and when I download the same file I get over 7.5 MB/s!! (~65 Mbps).
Speedtest also shows results of over 110 Mbps...

I remember when the phone was new, and it had Android 4.3, I had LAN download speed of over 9-10 MB/s...

I tried with different file managers like X-Plore and others, but it looks like it is not the app problem.

I have disabled IPv6.. what can be the problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888