Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What to do with music that won't fit?

I've been looking at the S4 and the sd card option looked good to me, till I found out it can't be used to store apps/music. I was going to get the 16GB model and get a 32GB card, but apparently there's not much that can go on that card besides pictures/videos. Is there any 'other' way to get music onto the card and play it? I read about something called side-loading, but not sure if thats possible or if it'll let me run the music. Since it'll be a new phone, I don't want to tamper with it and do something wrong while rooting it and something going horrifically wrong with it. Is rooting the only way to get music to play from that SD card? I know rooting is illegal thanks to DMCA....

Default Re: What to do with music that won't fit?

I think you have been misinformed, the only thing that cannot be tranferred to the sd card is apps. Music, video and pictures are all fine on there so you should have no problems. Be aware though that the huge amount of software on the S4 takes up approx 45% of that on-board 16gb so if you have a penchant for large games, like Real Racing, it is going to fill up pretty quick, even without your music.

Word to the wise - memory prices are ridiculously cheap, go for a 64gb card, it will only cost you about 40% more then a 32gb and will take an awfully long time to fill up.

Though I don't root, if you do, it is possible to run apps from external storage. Just remember that in most cases, internal memory is faster.

From my LG Optimus G E970
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by mcpricex View Post
    I think you have been misinformed, the only thing that cannot be tranferred to the sd card is apps. Music, video and pictures are all fine on there so you should have no problems. Be aware though that the huge amount of software on the S4 takes up approx 45% of that on-board 16gb so if you have a penchant for large games, like Real Racing, it is going to fill up pretty quick, even without your music.

Word to the wise - memory prices are ridiculously cheap, go for a 64gb card, it will only cost you about 40% more then a 32gb and will take an awfully long time to fill up.
    Really? Read a few reviews/online articles saying it can't be used for storing "apps, games, or media files" besides photos and videos...

Quote Originally Posted by thunda1010 View Post
    Really? Read a few reviews/online articles saying it can't be used for storing "apps, games, or media files" besides photos and videos...
    It depends on how you plan on putting the music on your phone. Some cloud based music players won't let you "pin" songs to your SD card for offline listening. However, you can drag and drop files or sync with non cloud based music management programs, like iTunes, to your SD card. Some even let you sync automatically over WiFi.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    It depends on how you plan on putting the music on your phone. Some cloud based music players won't let you "pin" songs to your SD card for offline listening. However, you can drag and drop files or sync with non cloud based music management programs, like iTunes, to your SD card. Some even let you sync automatically over WiFi.
    Well I have a whole bunch of songs on my iTunes ( some purchased, some... Not purchased :P). Could I put them onto my SD card and listen to them? Thus bypassing storing them and playing them through the internal memory?

Quote Originally Posted by thunda1010 View Post
    Well I have a whole bunch of songs on my iTunes ( some purchased, some... Not purchased :P). Could I put them onto my SD card and listen to them? Thus bypassing storing them and playing them through the internal memory?
    Yep.

That's exactly what I do with 30GB of music.

John

I can tell from first hand experience that you can transfer your entire music library to the mini SD, because I've done it and I'm listening to music now. Once I synched my music (before SD card) I took all storage on device. Couldn't even download apps anymore. Here's what I did:

Install 64 mini SD
    Create a folder called "Music" on SD card
    Go to folders icon in apps
    choose "device" storage (you'll have two choices, the other being the SD)
    Select music folder, which will reveal every song
    Click menu button (bottom left of phone)
    Select All
    Click file icon in upper right hand corner
    Move
    Navigate to the new folder on your SD, select Move
    Will take a few minutes, and all music files will be moved from device to SD

Works like a charm.

Global Posts
    1,424 Global Posts

If you use iTunes I would recommend iSyncr because it keeps your playlists intact.