Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Crazy Battery Drain

Hey guys,

I have been having a problem with my S4 for a week. The battery seems to drain at a crazy rate for no reason. I charge it to 100%, go to sleep for 7-8 hours and the battery is at ~40%. I didn't even use it, I'm not sure what to do. I did a factory reset and the problem still persists. The only thing I have on is my mobile data and thats it. I attached two screen shots showing the drain from about an hour of idle.

What should I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crazy Battery Drain-screenshot_2013-06-16-22-18-00.jpg   Crazy Battery Drain-screenshot_2013-06-16-22-18-56.jpg  

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Crazy Battery Drain

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty Ranu View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been having a problem with my S4 for a week. The battery seems to drain at a crazy rate for no reason. I charge it to 100%, go to sleep for 7-8 hours and the battery is at ~40%. I didn't even use it, I'm not sure what to do. I did a factory reset and the problem still persists. The only thing I have on is my mobile data and thats it. I attached two screen shots showing the drain from about an hour of idle.

What should I do?
    Have you disabled any of the bloatware that was installed on the phone? There is some that may be constantly connecting to the internet.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I haven't done that. Can you tell me what I should disable and how to do it?

I've been having major battery problems too. I have all extra bloatware stuff turned off like any air gestures, eye and motion detection, etc. and I think the phone drops about 1% about every 2 minutes, with very little to no use. Most of the day today while I was out it was in my pocket, and barely glanced and it dropped like crazy. I called staples where I bought it and they are going to exchange my battery for me. Hoping its that and not the phone itself. They think its a bad battery.

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty Ranu View Post
    I haven't done that. Can you tell me what I should disable and how to do it?
    Settings-application manager-swipe over to all apps. Scroll down to what you think is bloatware, say like Yahoo. Click on it, and the application i fo screen comes up. You should see 2 buttons, force stop and disable/uninstall updates. Uninstall needs to be done first before any disables.

If you don't use SVoice, that wouod be one to disable too.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Me either... It was 100% when i sleep at 11pm i woke up at 4am it was dead. Totally drain!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

So I found out more about the issue. When I restart the phone and charge it I get regular battery life. When I go to charge the phone after that I get the fast drain issue unless I restart the phone again. So basically I need one restart a day before I charge to avoid the drain overnight. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Is it possible you have the SVoice on?

I have power saving mode on as well - Not sure if you have that on/off.

There was a setting that I can't seem to find where if I recall right (Maybe it's in google now) that it listens for you to talk to it - that could also drain battery.

No guarantees though

You can download app called Du Battery Saver which will help you optimize your phone. It tells you what is running, what you need and don't need. It tells you how and when to charge your phone. So far since using the app. I am now getting 3 days off of one charge. I turned off all bloatware, Samsung apps., ATT apps., and Yahoo apps. I have S-Voice, Smart Screen, Gestures, Maps, GPS, Wi-Fi, Mobile Data, Bright Screen, everything else on, all the fun stuff. Try the app it's free and it really works. Gets high reviews. Close the app. when your not using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpineapple View Post
    Is it possible you have the SVoice on?

I have power saving mode on as well - Not sure if you have that on/off.

There was a setting that I can't seem to find where if I recall right (Maybe it's in google now) that it listens for you to talk to it - that could also drain battery.

No guarantees though

There are some apps that check the Internet every Two seconds. That will drain your battery horribly. Check in settings > battery and see what is drawing most of the power

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

This is probably a silly question, but why not just charge it while you sleep? I know that doesn't get to the root of the problem but it will mitigate the severity of it.

The attached pictures just show battery drain over an hour. It looks like you spent a little time texting and that's what drained the battery there. Something is waking your phone up every half hour or so and who knows what that might be. It's hard to tell what could be draining your battery overnight with the information given.