Problems with the S4 and your car bluetooth?

lasooner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've read the S4 uses a new bluetooth format and it doesn't work with some cars. Apparently its not backwards compatible. Are you having any issues with this? I'm hesitant to get the phone if I can't use it in my car. I own a Genesis sedan but I've heard this issue occurs with other vehicles as well. Any comments would be appreciated.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
For that year it's going to depend on the radios firmware. If it doesn't work try to get the GPS update that was issued. If that doesn't help then there is nothing that you can do other than get a HTC One (which has no issues with the Genny) or get a 2013 Genny (which has newer firmware).

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the Genesis but mine works no problem in several cars. I have tried it in a 2011 Equinox which has the last generation firmware, it also works in my 2013 Camaro and 2013 Equinox.

I have also been able to pair it with other devices with no problem. It stays connected to anything I have paired it with. This is better than my experience with the GS3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

ladyesmiles

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't work in the ford forcus 13, I bought the phone. Bluetooth will work but you have to sync and select contacts everytime. Car software will not download phone book. It is a known issue with Galaxy S4.

SteveShapiro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2006 Lexus RX400h and sometimes my Galaxy S4 works (connects, communicates) with the bluetooth and other times it doesn't. Sometimes it will connect and disconnect. The firmware on the car is not updatable according to the dealer. Any ideas?

SamBev

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't work in the ford forcus 13, I bought the phone. Bluetooth will work but you have to sync and select contacts everytime. Car software will not download phone book. It is a known issue with Galaxy S4.

My S4 was doing this with my 2012 Honda Civic until I check the "don't show this again" box and said ok. The Honda now displays my contact list and BT doesn't disconnect constantly.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
works without issues with 2013 Passat SE with navigation. Phone book syncs ( I had to manually initiate transfer). Also syncs my dialed, missed and received lists. Haven't tried streaming music yet. Also worked with with iphone 5 and HTC one

Fuego

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It works so-so in my 2011 Toyota Tundra. Phone and audio/music work fairly well but not as bulletproof as my previous iPhone4 did. My biggest issue is having to switch over to the BT Audio source to use S-Voice. The iPhone hands free only required I hold down the home button to initiate any voice commands via BT no matter what audio source was selected and playing on the OEM radio, or even if the radio was off it would turn on to initiate the BT voice or to answer an incoming call. None of this works with the S4 unless the radio is on.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

zimmer0

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, as far as i know it works in my '13 f150. Atleast it said it downloaded my contacts, havent received a call thru it yet to verify

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
2013 Cadillac ATS here and bluetooth works pretty well. 90% of the time it's flawless...other 10% I have some issues that might require disconnect/reconnect.

My car has built in Pandora support and a touchscreen where I can control what's playing: thumbs up/down, next, play/pause, album art / song info.

Also non-Pandora seems to work pretty well as I am just now switching to Google Play Music All Access...can control it well with the touchscreen also: next, previous, play/pause, song info.

Both can auto play when I enter the car - no need to do anything.

Also no problems making/receive calls using the touch screen or steering-wheel controls. I don't really use voice command at all though...not my thing.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
do not buy these phones have big issue about connecting with car and Samsung people don't help you in this regard:'(

Hopefully it won't be long before Samsung and AT&T give us the 4.3 update that contains the upgraded Bluetooth...and that helps some people.

Personally, as I said, mine works quite well. Remember it could actually be your car as well! Don't blame everything on the phone!

letsgoredskins

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a '09 Genesis with a tech package and my S4 drops the phone connection constantly. My S3 didn't have any issues but the S4 will randomly disconnect the bluetooth mid-call, then reconnect 10 or so seconds later. It's really frustrating. Seems to be a common issue with this version of the Android software.

ryguy5

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I have a '13 Focus Titanium, I don't have to sync contacts every time, I just get in and go, the car and phone automatically connect. All contacts work, I can turn on bluetooth audio for music, make calls, etc. with no problem.

MarathonMan

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
My 2013 Cadillac XTS paired and worked fine in all respects before the 7/9/13 update. After update it would pair but not work properly. It was always in a phantom call ticking off seconds even though the phone was not in an active call, it also disconnected the radio, weird. Replaced phone under warranty which had original firmware and it now works fine again. I get a nag everyday to install update, not going to happen until 4.3 comes out. Just my 2 cents. BTW phone is AT&T GS4 32GB.

Steve Deutsch

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I spoke directly with Samsung Technical about the S4 blue tooth not working correctly with my cars blue tooth. . The problem that I am getting is "calls are randomly ended". Samsung does not have plans to fix this problem and states that I should contact my car company for a fix. It appears that S4 blue tooth is not backward compatible with older blue tooth versions. There is no way to tell if a car maker will ever make the fix and if they do, how much they will charge their customers for making it. I really liked this S4 but since it will not work in my car and since Samsung will not fix the problem for me... I have no choice but to return it while I am under my trail period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital