I can text and call, but cannot use mobile data. Help!

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends,

I hope someone can help me out. I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 (i337). I live in Florida, USA.

Here is some info from my phone status page:
Signal strength: -107 dBm 3 asu (right now, I'm inside my work building, I get poor signal here. outside is a good signal.)
Mobile network type: HSPA:10
Service State: in service
Roaming: not roaming
Mobile network state: Disconnected

My situation is this:
-I rooted using the MotoChopper method.
-I was happy with my rooted stock Samsung Touch Wiz interface until it was giving me the "insufficient storage" error.
-Since I couldn't figure out how to fix it, I decided to flash the PAC-Man Rom (v 23.0), because I read that flashing a custom rom would eliminate the problem. (I used Clockwork Mod to do it.)
-That fixed the "insufficient storage" error, and I thought everything was good. But when I left work (where I was on Wi-Fi) I realized that I wasn't getting mobile data.
-I can still text and make phone calls on my phone, but for whatever reason, my mobile data is disabled.
-I don't know if it was like that immediately upon flashing the rom, or if I did something while playing with the phone. I was on Wi-Fi so since my browser was working, I didn't realize WHEN the data stopped working.
-I took out my sim card and put it into my iphone and it is working fine. so I know it's not a sim issue. (Plus, AT&T said everything was ok).
-I figured I would try to go back and downgrade back to the stock Samsung rom to see if that would fix the problem. So I downloaded the stock Samsung firmware (from Galaxy S4 Stock Firmware | GalaxyS4Root.com) and tried to flash the zip file. Clockwork Mod couldn't flash that zip file, so I am still stuck in PAC-Man Rom.

Anybody else have a fix for my mobile data problem? Or maybe someone can help downgrade from my PAC-Man rom back to the stock Samsung rom to see if that fixes the problem?

Thanks guys.

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Somewhere in your settings there should be a page called "Mobile network settings" with an option called "Access Point Names". If you tap that it will bring up a list of APNs and indicate which one you are using. Which one is selected? I think you want 'AT&T PTA' for that phone but I'm not 100% certain, hopefully someone will correct me if this is wrong. 'AT&T US HSDPA' should also work but you wouldn't get LTE with that one. Try playing with that page and see if anything happens.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Somewhere in your settings there should be a page called "Mobile network settings" with an option called "Access Point Names". If you tap that it will bring up a list of APNs and indicate which one you are using. Which one is selected? I think you want 'AT&T PTA' for that phone but I'm not 100% certain, hopefully someone will correct me if this is wrong. 'AT&T US HSDPA' should also work but you wouldn't get LTE with that one. Try playing with that page and see if anything happens.

Yep I believe it's your APN settings too. When you go into the settings on AT&T you should have the following;
MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
APN Type - default,mms,supl,hipri
APN Protocol - IPv4
Enable / disable APN - APN enabled

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I think it worked.

Here is an update on what I did:

-In PAC-Man Rom, I went into the "system settings > more> mobile networks> access point names." Just like TWRT suggested.
-The different options were:
-ATT- wap.cingular
-ATT Activate- iwaactivate
-ATT Broadband- broadband
-ATT LTE- pta
-ATT Phone- phone
- ATT LTE was already selected, so I instead chose ATT Phone to see if that worked.

It did work. However, It seems now that I am on HSPA+ network instead of 4G LTE. I don't really know about all that network stuff, but my data works. I ran a speed test (@full signal bars) and I was downloading at 7.5 mbps and uploading at 1.5mbps. Are those good speeds? Can anyone shed some light on how the network works?

Again, thanks for the help.

voweeks

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
i have an old att line that is grandfathered and i cannot update. i used to have an atrix, lost it, used the fusion go phone for a while but recently got a galaxy s4 4glte through a family members upgrade. however my "plan" does not have 4g lte acess. is there any way to root the phone and use the same data access that my old atrix used? if not i gotta swtich phones....................

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Update:

I spoke to AT&T. The reason I wasn't getting data on the LTE setting was that my unlimited data plan was for iPhone. It doesn't give you unlimited 4G LTE on the GS4. I had to change my plan from the $30 unlimited plan to $30 for 3 GB (and update my device in their records). Losing my Grandfathered Unlimited plan sounds terrible, but its not so bad. I went back and looked at my usage habits for the last few months. I spend most of my time at home and at work (WiFi), so the most I used in any month was 1.2 GB (I moved and was without Cable/WiFi for 2 weeks so no TV + painting empty apartment= lots of Pandora on my phone. Still only used 1.2 BG) I doubt I will ever get close to my 3 GB limit.

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
i have an old att line that is grandfathered and i cannot update. i used to have an atrix, lost it, used the fusion go phone for a while but recently got a galaxy s4 4glte through a family members upgrade. however my "plan" does not have 4g lte acess. is there any way to root the phone and use the same data access that my old atrix used? if not i gotta swtich phones....................

If you can get to the "mobile networks" setting in your phone, change the access point to one of the other non-LTE access points (Mine was ATT-Phone). That should get you HSPA+ data, though not 4g LTE speeds. I think you may have to root in order to EDIT the settings. galaxys4root.com is a good resource for learning how to root. If you do this, you can keep your unlimited data but it wont be 4G LTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non