ATT plan cannot use 4glte can i root S4 and make it run on 3g data same as Atrix?

voweeks

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
long story short i have an old grandfathered plan that att cant adjust or ill loose it,. i used to have the first atrix which i believe was only 3g, data worked fine. just got a new s4, cannot use 4glte. is there a way to configure the s4 to run on the 3g data network?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of this. Normal if you have a data plan you can use any part of their network. Do you get no data or just not LTE?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I, too, have the grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan, from my days using BlackBerries. When I got my first Android device, an HTC Vivid, I was issued an LTE SIM card to make use of the new functionality.At that time, LTE sservice was unavailable where I live. When it lit up, my Vivid picked it right up. When I upgraded to my GS4, it came with another LTE SIM card. It also picked up LTE immediately. None of these changeovers affected my data plan. My questiohotshot u is whether LTE service is available in your area to begin with. Secondly, did they give you the proper LTE SIM card for your GS4? Rooting will not bring LTE to life. It will, with a custom ROM installed, enable you to break the tether lock on your wifi hotspot capability, which is locked out of the grandfathered plan in the stock ROM. I hope this helps.

mattslucas1114

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I ran into a similar issue, I'm magically still using a media net plan on my GS4 until they notice and bump me up to the full data plan with LTE. (media net is 3g only). Anyways the problem is that the GS4 by default only comes with the phone APN, if you dont have the normal data plan you cannot connect using this APN. The phone would not me you add another APN unless I unlocked it (illegal in USA currently) I just drove to Canada for a day and used the samsung unlock method found here:
How To SIM Unlock Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 For Free | Redmond Pie

After you unlock the phone you can add a new apn, I have to use the media net APN but I'm not sure what you would need. The media net APN settings can be found here:
[Q] AT&T Medianet Plan APN Settings? - xda-developers

But I would recomend you just use the old settings from your atrix (I dont have that phone so I couldnt tell you where to find them).

If you dont know how to change APN settings google has some good instructions floating around that could explain it better than I can.

Good luck.

voweeks

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
after a few tries i got everythnig to work. i am on 4g and not 4glte, i could care less for now. now i just gotta add the teathering apn and ill be good to go