1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to tell if unlocked or not w/o sim?

At&t gave me the unlock code for my S4. I unlocked it (I think) using an old inactive tmobile sim. Is there anyway to tell if my S4 is unlocked without using another carrier's sim card? When I insert the old tmo sim, I get a "sim card not provisioned" error message. Although I don't get the "enter unlock code" window anymore.

I'd like to know if my phone is truly unlocked before I go overseas.

Default Re: how to tell if unlocked or not w/o sim?

I would like to know this as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

After you got the unlock code and tried out the sim card, have you called AT&T to see what the problem is?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

at&t reps were useless. told me to go next store to the tmo store, so I did.
    I ended up going to a tmo store and asking one of the reps if I could borrow a tmo sim to see if my at&t S4 was truly unlocked. A rep was happy to oblige and gave me a brand new sim from behind the counter. and YES my S4 was unlocked as it had the tmobile in the upper left side of the screen. No error messages

How long did you own the phone before ATT provided a lock code? I've owned an S4 for three months. Customer service told me I have to finish my 2 year agreement before they'll give me the code.

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

Quote Originally Posted by raphster24 View Post
    At&t gave me the unlock code for my S4. I unlocked it (I think) using an old inactive tmobile sim. Is there anyway to tell if my S4 is unlocked without using another carrier's sim card? When I insert the old tmo sim, I get a "sim card not provisioned" error message. Although I don't get the "enter unlock code" window anymore.

I'd like to know if my phone is truly unlocked before I go overseas.
    It means your phone is unlocked but your sim card is not active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I bought my s4 in May and got the unlock code Sep, roughly 4mths. I told them I am going overseas and would like to use an international/local sim while there.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by rgarcia900 View Post
    It means your phone is unlocked but your sim card is not active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app
    thanks rgarcia, that's what I thought. but needed to make sure before I headed out on vaca. didn't want to get there to find out my phone is locked and useless.

Quote Originally Posted by lasooner View Post
    How long did you own the phone before ATT provided a lock code? I've owned an S4 for three months. Customer service told me I have to finish my 2 year agreement before they'll give me the code.
    I owned my phone for 2 weeks. Going to Asia in Dec. Told them. They gave me unlock code. According to their web site, you can get it unlocked after 90 days though.

Got the unlock code from ATT. Unlocking process couldn't have been easier. I am in Thailand now enjoying my phone. My SIM card provides phone and Internet. I needed to go to a local phone store to setup the Internet. As stated earlier in this thread ATT provides unlock codes after 3 months. This is a policy change from the earlier policy of providing codes after 2 years.