Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Exclamation Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Hello, I'm a new user and new to Android overall. I find the default text messaging app a bit odd but it could just be me. Is it normal that when you're searching for contact inside of the text messaging app to show contacts with a phone # and email addresses as individual search results? I'm simply trying to text them not email them?

    Steps I took to reproduce:
    1.) Open the native Samsung text messaging app.
    2.) Type in a name in the "enter recipient text field"
    3.) My results start to show names w/phone numbers as well as people w/only email addresses

    Why do contact w/email addresses show up but more importantly how do I stop this from happening? I only want to text them via the text app, not email them. BTW, all of my contacts are not stored on device or SIM. All info is hosted in cloud (Gmail Contacts)

    *SPECS: Samsung GS4 w/native text app and on ATT network.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    20,321 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by minanotti View Post
    Hello, I'm a new user and new to Android overall. I find the default text messaging app a bit odd but it could just be me. Is it normal that when you're searching for contact inside of the text messaging app to show contacts with a phone # and email addresses as individual search results? I'm simply trying to text them not email them?

    Steps I took to reproduce:
    1.) Open the native Samsung text messaging app.
    2.) Type in a name in the "enter recipient text field"
    3.) My results start to show names w/phone numbers as well as people w/only email addresses

    Why do contact w/email addresses show up but more importantly how do I stop this from happening? I only want to text them via the text app, not email them. BTW, all of my contacts are not stored on device or SIM. All info is hosted in cloud (Gmail Contacts)

    *SPECS: Samsung GS4 w/native text app and on ATT network.
    Welcome to the forums!
    You can go into Contacts>scroll down to the name, and swipe either to the left or right. One way is messaging and the other is calling.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Thanks that's definitely a straight forward way to use the contacts app to then decide whether i want to call or text. But, my issue is when I decide to start from the Text Msg App and look up a contact. It's during that lookup process that the search results show both phone #'s and emails. That seems weird and I'm hoping there's a way to only show phone #'s as results. Perhaps it's some integrated thing where a user can send a text to a recipient's email address but if I wanted to email someone, I would've started off by opening the email app instead.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    20,321 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by minanotti View Post
    Thanks that's definitely a straight forward way to use the contacts app to then decide whether i want to call or text. But, my issue is when I decide to start from the Text Msg App and look up a contact. It's during that lookup process that the search results show both phone #'s and emails. That seems weird and I'm hoping there's a way to only show phone #'s as results. Perhaps it's some integrated thing where a user can send a text to a recipient's email address but if I wanted to email someone, I would've started off by opening the email app instead.
    I know it didn't really answer your question. I think the search is designed to find everything.

    Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by minanotti View Post
    Hello, I'm a new user and new to Android overall. I find the default text messaging app a bit odd but it could just be me. Is it normal that when you're searching for contact inside of the text messaging app to show contacts with a phone # and email addresses as individual search results? I'm simply trying to text them not email them?

    Steps I took to reproduce:
    1.) Open the native Samsung text messaging app.
    2.) Type in a name in the "enter recipient text field"
    3.) My results start to show names w/phone numbers as well as people w/only email addresses

    Why do contact w/email addresses show up but more importantly how do I stop this from happening? I only want to text them via the text app, not email them. BTW, all of my contacts are not stored on device or SIM. All info is hosted in cloud (Gmail Contacts)

    *SPECS: Samsung GS4 w/native text app and on ATT network.
    I just myself took care of this issue yesterday (got my s4 3 days ago) it was pretty annoying.

    click on the Contacts icon on your home screen

    then click on Groups, and all the emails and stuff are in "Not Assigned"
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    20,321 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by andog88 View Post
    I just myself took care of this issue yesterday (got my s4 3 days ago) it was pretty annoying.

    click on the Contacts icon on your home screen

    then click on Groups, and all the emails and stuff are in "Not Assigned"
    Thanks for posting your solution. May prove useful to someone in the future.

    Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Is there a way to mass-move the not assigned contacts to "my contacts"? I have 177 "not assigned" contacts and it'll take forever for me to move all of them into the new group 1 by 1.

    Thank you!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Does anyone know of an easier and faster way to move all these "not assigned" contacts because I have 690 "not assigned" and I will be doing this forever!!
    Also, why in the world did this change? I have had this phone since it first came out and never had an issues with this until this week. Very annoying that I all of the sudden need to be doing this.
  9. #9  
    datamungo's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    This is a new behaviour actually. And i find it incredibly annoying. The text app used to autocomplete by name, now it autocompletes by number. EXTREMELY ANNOYING if you are just trying to send a quick text.
  10. #10  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by minanotti View Post
    Thanks that's definitely a straight forward way to use the contacts app to then decide whether i want to call or text. But, my issue is when I decide to start from the Text Msg App and look up a contact. It's during that lookup process that the search results show both phone #'s and emails. That seems weird and I'm hoping there's a way to only show phone #'s as results. Perhaps it's some integrated thing where a user can send a text to a recipient's email address but if I wanted to email someone, I would've started off by opening the email app instead.
    It makes sense because you actually can send SMS/MMS to an email address. It will appear on the other person's inbox as PhoneNumber@Carrier.Domain.com

    Don't see what the issue is :-P
  11. #11  
    lathamc's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by datamungo View Post
    This is a new behaviour actually. And i find it incredibly annoying. The text app used to autocomplete by name, now it autocompletes by number. EXTREMELY ANNOYING if you are just trying to send a quick text.
    I had that issue. I turned off sync for all accoutnts, restarted my phone, turned sync back on and it was fixed. That issue bugged me to no end!

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Quote Originally Posted by lathamc View Post
    I had that issue. I turned off sync for all accoutnts, restarted my phone, turned sync back on and it was fixed. That issue bugged me to no end!

    Posted via Android Central App
    This fixed the issue on the wife's S4. I turned sync off for Google contacts restarted the phone and it worked the way it should. The issue started after the update to 4.3, or whatever the last update was (sprint).
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Thank you for helping me solve this problem. Your a God send. This issue was driving me completely nuts. I had an S3 and it got ruined and just got an S4. Never had problems with the contacts on the other phone like this, but I didn't have my addresses synced via Google Sync on my other phone either.

    So go to: Settings----> Google------->Click on your Google email address (showing the little green sync sign next to it-------->Go to Sync Contacts and uncheck the box.
    Restart your phone and now you should be able to text someone to their phone without the email address coming up.
  14. #14  

    Wink Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    Thank you so very much for the detailed and concise instructions. I just upgraded from the Sam 2 to the Sam 4 today and I found this new idea of only putting E-Mail addresses instead of phone numbers in the box when you are trying to text is the height of stupidity. Are we not supposed to be going forwards and not backwards?

    Cheers pal.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is it normal that the Samsung's text message app shows email addresses and phone numbers?

    I have this problem too, but on a Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100). I've tried the synch off, restart, synch on options but it makes no difference. Any guidance on how to resolve this would be gratefully received as this is very annoying. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads

  1. Contacts disappear on Samsung Galaxy S4
    By E92Vancouver in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 12:01 PM
  2. Contacts disappear on Samsung Galaxy S4
    By E92Vancouver in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 05:00 AM
  3. Is anyone on the Edge program?
    By skatergirl in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions