Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By leetuser
  • 1 Post By leetuser
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropped my s4 into a pool.

I got thrown into a salt water pool last night by some drunk.. I was in the pool for about 10 seconds. I immediately took the phone apart and left it open until I could go home and put it into a tubberware full of rice. i left it in there all night and i tried to use the phone. When i put the battery back in, the blue LED indicator light is a solid blue and seems to slightly flicker purple. I'm unable to turn on the phone.
    I now realize I shouldn't have attempted to power on the phone so early, but I hadn't looked anything up before this point. Does anyone know what the solid blue indicator light means when the phone is off?

Should I rinse the phone with 95% alcohol since it was a salt water pool? Thanks

Default Re: Dropped my s4 into a pool.

I would try to use distilled water to rinse it off. Then put it in rice for a day or 2.

Posted via Android Central App

I would make the drunk buy you a new phone imo. In this day and age people should know you can't do that to someone with all the electronic stuff we carry with us.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    College student that spends far too much money on phones.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by cheeta186 View Post
    I would make the drunk buy you a new phone imo. In this day and age people should know you can't do that to someone with all the electronic stuff we carry with us.

Yeah it took all the restraint I could find to not kick his *** last night when it happened. The thing is, this guy did it multiple times. After I got thrown it, I found out he did it to other people too. I know at least 1 other s4 and an iphone 5 got dunked too. Here's the kicker, the party was for this guy in the first place to celebrate his new job.

I already spoke to him about the phone. If it doesn't come back to life he's buying me a new one.
    myIphone4s likes this.

sorry to hear that your phone might have got ruined.
    Current phone- AT&T galaxy S4 16gb. 32gb storage. otter box defender. running MF3 ota, rooted and safe strapped
    rom slots 1, used for flashing test roms. my daily driver is alpha v10 on rom slot 2
    old phones- Blackberry curve-> iphone 3gs->iphone 4s->galaxy S3->galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by cheeta186 View Post
    . In this day and age people should know you can't do that to someone with all the electronic stuff we carry with us.

people that are drunk dont know what they are doing 98% of the time, but if you are at a party i suggest phone in vehicle. or a water proof case for it.
    Current phone- AT&T galaxy S4 16gb. 32gb storage. otter box defender. running MF3 ota, rooted and safe strapped
    rom slots 1, used for flashing test roms. my daily driver is alpha v10 on rom slot 2

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myIphone4s View Post
    people that are drunk dont know what they are doing 98% of the time, but if you are at a party i suggest phone in vehicle. or a water proof case for it.
    So, according to you, the drunk person shouldn't be responsible for their actions while intoxicated out of their own free will?

Sorry to hear about this OP.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I definitely wouldn't dunk the whole phone into Isopropyl alcohol, its great for spot clean sticky soda from buttons and such however it could react to some of the plastics or adhesives used. If you are comfortable with the idea you may want to take the phone apart and then rinse it with distilled water or at that point spot clean with IPA . If you aren't familiar with the disassembly process ifixit usually has instructions and youtube usually has a few videos also.
    Good luck with it .

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    6,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Well at least you may be getting a new S4 (or most of a Note 3) out of it.

from my Sony XTZ
    Live long and prosper.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Okay. Well I tested the phone after about 20 hours being in a tupperware full of rice and It turned on. Everything seems to be working. I took it apart again and put it back in the rice. I'll leave it there for another day just to make sure. I just hope it doesn't fail in a month due to progressive corrosion. It was a salt water pool.
    lorenatreece likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btswein View Post
    So, according to you, the drunk person shouldn't be responsible for their actions while intoxicated out of their own free will?

Sorry to hear about this OP.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst Blue Ribbon.
    they should be responsible for there actions that wasnt what that post was meaning, but most drunks dont think about the risk involved, look at drunk drivers, they chose to drive drunk the result is jail or worse.

Maybe a blow of hair blower to blow away some salt.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

Quote Originally Posted by leetuser View Post
    Okay. Well I tested the phone after about 20 hours being in a tupperware full of rice and It turned on. Everything seems to be working. I took it apart again and put it back in the rice. I'll leave it there for another day just to make sure. I just hope it doesn't fail in a month due to progressive corrosion. It was a salt water pool.
    In that case, I will get a new phone anyways. 2 reasons why:
    1. Your warranty has been voided. If you ever need service on your phone, you will be denied the repair since the water indicator has been actived.
    2. Your phone will most likely fail within 12 months due to the salt water and you dont have a warranty, remember?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app