Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default iPhone to S4 texting... nothing has worked

Is there a absolute way to stop the iPhone to android text message glitch since I switched from an iPhone 4S? I have tried everything that I can located on the web. I have turned off iMessage on my old 4S, changed the phone number on the phone, did a system restore via itunes, removed my cell number from my apple account, turned off facetime on the 4S, had people delete my contact information and try. I called apple and they said they could not do anything, sent them an e-mail just now asking again to somehow remove my cell number from the iMessage system, hoping for a positive response. But is there anything else I can do to get this fixed? This is just plain annoying for all the people I know who have iPhones who have to basically send me a text twice since there iPhones still think I can use iMessage.

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: iPhone to S4 texting... nothing has worked

Is the iPhone 4s removed from the Apple account entirely or just the phone number? Do you have any other Apple devices that receive the messages via iMessage?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

I have no other apple devices. My apple account did not even show I had the 4S it still had my 3G on there, so I removed that. Called apple support again they suggested I have to restore the 4S, and authenticate it using a different SIM card. Going to try that after work, but I am not holding up much hope for it since the only other SIM I have is the one that was used on the 4S. (AT&T sent a new SIM with the S4). I might just try it with my wife's SIM since she has an iPhone 5.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Well still having this issue. Spent over an hour on the phone with Apple support the last two days and my phone number still comes up as a valid iMessage number. I am at a loss. While speaking with Apple they said they are aware of this issue, and worst case is it would stop after 45 days (No details on why that would occur).

Still puzzled...

I am a new G4 user and having the same text issue. I have disabled imessage on my ipad and erased my iphone. The icloud acct has to stay active for purchases from Apple. I am on my 2nd day so hopefully this clears up. It is definitely an iphone issue.. I can send text but if they reply not always getting them and is not reliable yet and escaping from Apple seems to be very hard.

UPDATE: I have sent text to people who own iphones today and they have replied back. I didn't receive their replies. Not real sure how to fix this except asking all of my contacts to redefine me in their address book. Maybe if they delete the text queue and then the next text will have the correct characteristics.

Who Knows

Update 2: Sat with a guy who has an iphone running ios7.. He gets my text but replies dont make it.. a native text does not make it.. I deleted my text history from his phone and rebooted no change.. I then deleted my phone number and redefined it, no change.. I then found a mised message from him on my ipad for facetime on my ipad.. i deleted facetime which i never used.. we will see if that made a difference. This is a major issue for me.
    Last edited by chrch01; 10-18-2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Update 2

This issue continues but making progress..
    Step 1 Follow this link for instructions to remove the imessage id from your previous Iphone. I couldnt do this so I just changed my password online. https://appleid.apple.com
    Step 2. Follow this link to delete your old Iphone from Apple. https://supportprofile.apple.com

I sent a test text to an iphone user and the imessage reply he was trying to make was rejected. He had to send as regular txt which is what I want. I feel this is the solution but will require more testing. Will post results after a couple of days.
    Last edited by chrch01; 10-21-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Update Day 4 of text problem - After following the steps above, I still have the issue and I thought it was solved.. Some iphone users work and some dont.. They have deleted the text queue of all my previous text and check the contact definition for my number which say mobile by my number.. One person rebooted the iphone and it started working but the others didnt work.. Still pursuing with ATT.

Update Day 4a - Solution but dont like it.. After you have unregisterred your old iphone from Apple, tell your iphone user who cant send you text to reboot their iphone and try again. This seems to fix the issue. The official steps are as follows:

1. After you have turned off your iphone and switched to a samsung.. goto setting/message and turn off imessage. If you have reset your iphone and erased all data then go to this link and unregister your iphone. I would do this anyway. https://supportprofile.apple.com

2. Each user that doesnt work will have to turn imessage off, reboot and send you a message. The after receiving turn imessage back on. This is painful for some users who are not technical.

3. I have been telling all no working iphone users to delete the msg queue for all my previous texts and then verifying that my contact information for my cell has a label of Mobile instead of iphone by it. Then reboot the phone and this seems to work.

Edtorial - This is very painful to do for all contacts and a major inconvenience but there is no other solution. My support ticket is in level 3 and I am sure they wont be able to change anything but this should be a glabl type change/fix instead of an individual change.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

So far everything Apple has tried on my end is defiantly not a complete solution. I am about 4 days out since my last discussion with Apple on this. Some iPhone users have no problems, others my number still shows up as an iPhone others are no problem. One of the problem phones is my wife's so I know right away if there is an issue. I am going to give apple another call either today or tomorrow and see what they say. Apple did say that eventually it would just start working correctly on it's own about 45 days out. That must be some scheduled sweep to see if the the iPhone is still around. I am wondering if I sell my 4S, if it gets re-registered with another user if that will eliminate the problem.

I will try the turn off imessage send a text and then turn on tonight with my wife's phone.

Make sure SMS is on under settings/message on the iphone.

Hey everyone, this is a very common problem and I know the easiest fix. I registered for this forum just to help all of you frustrated people with this problem.

Just call 1-800-MY-IPHONE and tell them to deactivate your imessage account for the associated phone number. Within 24 hours, your problem will be solved.

In the past, you could just "unregister device" or turn off imessage in settings, etc or change your contact from "iphone" to "mobile" but since ios7, none of these things work any more or if they do it is hit and miss.

The solution above works every time without a hitch. The only rub is sometimes they want to charge you $20 for the service call. If they say that, just hang up and try a different person. I have never had to pay for this. They are intentionally making it difficult to switch to an android, IMO.

Good luck!

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I had this happen to me, I had to call apple. It probably took a couple weeks to clear completely up. Basically, iphones think you are still using imessage vs. SMS. In the meantime, if someone sends you a txt and it fails, they can click the error and send as SMS. It sucks, but once apple manually removes you, it will eventually clear up. Also, for me anyway, it was just io7 folks that it happened with.

I was in the same boat. Had my iPhone friends send me a text and when it would show up in the text thread of their phone, after it was sent, touch and hold the message until they got a pop up with the option of 'Send as SMS'. After they did that a couple of times their iPhone learned that my number was no longer iMessage capable. That is all that worked for me. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

This is a problem that APPLE has to fix, not us.
    I'm getting this dealt with since I got my S4 about a month ago. Tried everything. Still I have to be asking my iPhone friends to press the error message and send their replies as SMS. Which works but still a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy1004main View Post
    This is a problem that APPLE has to fix, not us.
    I'm getting this dealt with since I got my S4 about a month ago. Tried everything. Still I have to be asking my iPhone friends to press the error message and send their replies as SMS. Which works but still a pain.
    Seems like apple doesnt want to fix it at all I suspect they did that just to give the finger to other platforms

must have unlocked boot loaders!!