Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

LegendsCreekFarm

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody.

A few months ago I tried T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint & AT&T at my property. None worked aside from AT&T and I have great coverage with them.

What I don't like is how expensive my S4 is each month. I can't stand that I have to pay over $100 monthly. I know that straight talk uses AT&T network sometimes. I am wondering if I can take my AT&T s4, and get it to work on the straight talk network via at&t ? Or can I downgrade my S4 to the straight talk S3 and force it to work on the AT&T network?

My biggest issue is that I will buy a phone, or sign up for something, get it home and it either won't work at all, or it will be on one of the networks where I have no service at my property.

Thanks for the help!

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everybody.

A few months ago I tried T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint & AT&T at my property. None worked aside from AT&T and I have great coverage with them.

What I don't like is how expensive my S4 is each month. I can't stand that I have to pay over $100 monthly. I know that straight talk uses AT&T network sometimes. I am wondering if I can take my AT&T s4, and get it to work on the straight talk network via at&t ? Or can I downgrade my S4 to the straight talk S3 and force it to work on the AT&T network?

My biggest issue is that I will buy a phone, or sign up for something, get it home and it either won't work at all, or it will be on one of the networks where I have no service at my property.

Thanks for the help!
I am presently using an At&T S4 on Straight Talk At&t. I can also get refills a lot of the time on Ebay for $105-$110 for 90 days which comes out to about $36.00 a month. A no brainier

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Scott, could you explain how I go about doing that with my AT&T s4?

Go about what? If you have an At&t S4 and put a Straight Talk At&t sim card in all you have to do is enter the St apn settings. And away you go. If you want to but a phone off contract check out Buy and Sell Used Mobile Phones and Tablets > Swappa. I have bought and sold 6 or 7 phones from people there. Cheaper and more trustworthy then ebay imho

LegendsCreekFarm

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
wow! I wish I knew that before getting stuck into the contract! Fortunately, I bought the line of service from Amazon and they have an amazing return policy, and are going to let me return it, and then cancel my contract.

Guy above, I know you recommended the Nexus. .. How is it comparable to the S4? I really want something with all the features, good camera, and speech to text. Can it do that?

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
wow! I wish I knew that before getting stuck into the contract! Fortunately, I bought the line of service from Amazon and they have an amazing return policy, and are going to let me return it, and then cancel my contract.

Guy above, I know you recommended the Nexus. .. How is it comparable to the S4? I really want something with all the features, good camera, and speech to text. Can it do that?
Nobody really knows how good or bad or how it will compare to the camera on the S4. I also ordered the Nexus 5 today and my opinion is that it might not be better than the S4 camera but it might be just as good and it comes with OIS which the S4 doesn't have

AugustArborists

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
My son is running my spare rooted S4 on Straight Talk right now, just went to their site, bought a SIM card for like $7.00, took the phone to Wal-Mart when it got here (three days, free shipping). They set it up in about 10 minutes, all done. Runs about as fast as my AT&T lines, youtube plays with no skips on the network, loads almost as fast as wi-fi.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
how did he get it to work cause for the life of me i cant get my s4 active to work for strait talk i can call and txt but no enternet or mms

MMS requires an Internet connection.

Are you APN settings setup properly?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
how did he get it to work cause for the life of me i cant get my s4 active to work for strait talk i can call and txt but no enternet or mms

how did you get it to work i have a galaxy s4 active and i cant get my enternet to work for the life of me

You need to enter straight talks apn settings then reboot and you should be good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
All you have to do is get it carrier unlocked pop in the straight talk gsm sim card but to get released from your contract your going to have to pay an etf early termination fee which can be upwards of 500 dollars just hope your prepaired for that

Angelica Arizmendi

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have a galaxy s4 active I just activated it to straight talk byop (at&t) everything works except I can't browse the internet or send/receive mms. I've been reading different things online tried many apns none worked FINALLY one worked my phone went to 4g I sent an mms and received one back and checked fb LOL:) this is what I used...
APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY: mms.tracfone.com
MMS PORT: 80
APN TYPE: default,supl,mms
Then BAM as soon as I turned my Wi-Fi on 4g disappeared now there is an E? Not sure why I tried turning my Wi-Fi off and nothing can't do what I could just a minute ago PLEASE HELP I'm not sure if it's just because I have bad signal where I live or because the apn settings..

Posted via Android Central App

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to unlock it, you just need a compatible Sim which you can get at straight talks website and the APN settings.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have a galaxy s4 active I just activated it to straight talk byop (at&t) everything works except I can't browse the internet or send/receive mms. I've been reading different things online tried many apns none worked FINALLY one worked my phone went to 4g I sent an mms and received one back and checked fb LOL:) this is what I used...
APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY: mms.tracfone.com
MMS PORT: 80
APN TYPE: default,supl,mms
Then BAM as soon as I turned my Wi-Fi on 4g disappeared now there is an E? Not sure why I tried turning my Wi-Fi off and nothing can't do what I could just a minute ago PLEASE HELP I'm not sure if it's just because I have bad signal where I live or because the apn settings..

The first thing you do when you switch to a new carrier is to input the new carriers apn settings
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fsupport%2Fapn%23.U3PWhNAo6BY&token=Sehfa4o4

tmlogic

May 26, 2014
Visit site
if i currently have a new 4g lte chip in my straight talk phone do i still have to buy a new chip from straight talk if i want to use my current chip in a gs4?

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
if i currently have a new 4g lte chip in my straight talk phone do i still have to buy a new chip from straight talk if i want to use my current chip in a gs4?

Do you mean sim card?? Yes you will need a new sim card as it simply provides the network identification and your access info for the network