Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Hey everybody.

    A few months ago I tried T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint & AT&T at my property. None worked aside from AT&T and I have great coverage with them.

    What I don't like is how expensive my S4 is each month. I can't stand that I have to pay over $100 monthly. I know that straight talk uses AT&T network sometimes. I am wondering if I can take my AT&T s4, and get it to work on the straight talk network via at&t ? Or can I downgrade my S4 to the straight talk S3 and force it to work on the AT&T network?

    My biggest issue is that I will buy a phone, or sign up for something, get it home and it either won't work at all, or it will be on one of the networks where I have no service at my property.

    Thanks for the help!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

  3. #3  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsCreekFarm View Post
    Hey everybody.

    A few months ago I tried T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint & AT&T at my property. None worked aside from AT&T and I have great coverage with them.

    What I don't like is how expensive my S4 is each month. I can't stand that I have to pay over $100 monthly. I know that straight talk uses AT&T network sometimes. I am wondering if I can take my AT&T s4, and get it to work on the straight talk network via at&t ? Or can I downgrade my S4 to the straight talk S3 and force it to work on the AT&T network?

    My biggest issue is that I will buy a phone, or sign up for something, get it home and it either won't work at all, or it will be on one of the networks where I have no service at my property.

    Thanks for the help!
    I am presently using an At&T S4 on Straight Talk At&t. I can also get refills a lot of the time on Ebay for $105-$110 for 90 days which comes out to about $36.00 a month. A no brainier
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Scott, could you explain how I go about doing that with my AT&T s4?
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsCreekFarm View Post
    Scott, could you explain how I go about doing that with my AT&T s4?
    Go about what? If you have an At&t S4 and put a Straight Talk At&t sim card in all you have to do is enter the St apn settings. And away you go. If you want to but a phone off contract check out Buy and Sell Used Mobile Phones and Tablets > Swappa. I have bought and sold 6 or 7 phones from people there. Cheaper and more trustworthy then ebay imho
    SamTan82 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    wow! I wish I knew that before getting stuck into the contract! Fortunately, I bought the line of service from Amazon and they have an amazing return policy, and are going to let me return it, and then cancel my contract.

    Guy above, I know you recommended the Nexus. .. How is it comparable to the S4? I really want something with all the features, good camera, and speech to text. Can it do that?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsCreekFarm View Post
    wow! I wish I knew that before getting stuck into the contract! Fortunately, I bought the line of service from Amazon and they have an amazing return policy, and are going to let me return it, and then cancel my contract.

    Guy above, I know you recommended the Nexus. .. How is it comparable to the S4? I really want something with all the features, good camera, and speech to text. Can it do that?
    Nobody really knows how good or bad or how it will compare to the camera on the S4. I also ordered the Nexus 5 today and my opinion is that it might not be better than the S4 camera but it might be just as good and it comes with OIS which the S4 doesn't have
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    My son is running my spare rooted S4 on Straight Talk right now, just went to their site, bought a SIM card for like $7.00, took the phone to Wal-Mart when it got here (three days, free shipping). They set it up in about 10 minutes, all done. Runs about as fast as my AT&T lines, youtube plays with no skips on the network, loads almost as fast as wi-fi.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    how did you get it to work i have a galaxy s4 active and i cant get my enternet to work for the life of me
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    how did he get it to work cause for the life of me i cant get my s4 active to work for strait talk i can call and txt but no enternet or mms
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ferrell View Post
    how did he get it to work cause for the life of me i cant get my s4 active to work for strait talk i can call and txt but no enternet or mms
    MMS requires an Internet connection.

    Are you APN settings setup properly?

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ferrell View Post
    how did he get it to work cause for the life of me i cant get my s4 active to work for strait talk i can call and txt but no enternet or mms
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ferrell View Post
    how did you get it to work i have a galaxy s4 active and i cant get my enternet to work for the life of me
    You need to enter straight talks apn settings then reboot and you should be good

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    All you have to do is get it carrier unlocked pop in the straight talk gsm sim card but to get released from your contract your going to have to pay an etf early termination fee which can be upwards of 500 dollars just hope your prepaired for that

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    How can you get an At&t Galaxy S4 unlocked to switch the carrier to straight talk?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    At&t has to unlock it

    must have unlocked boot loaders!!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Hi I have a galaxy s4 active I just activated it to straight talk byop (at&t) everything works except I can't browse the internet or send/receive mms. I've been reading different things online tried many apns none worked FINALLY one worked my phone went to 4g I sent an mms and received one back and checked fb LOL this is what I used...
    APN: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY: mms.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    APN TYPE: default,supl,mms
    Then BAM as soon as I turned my Wi-Fi on 4g disappeared now there is an E? Not sure why I tried turning my Wi-Fi off and nothing can't do what I could just a minute ago PLEASE HELP I'm not sure if it's just because I have bad signal where I live or because the apn settings..

    Posted via Android Central App

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  
    troshs's Avatar

    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    You don't need to unlock it, you just need a compatible Sim which you can get at straight talks website and the APN settings.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Arizmendi View Post
    Hi I have a galaxy s4 active I just activated it to straight talk byop (at&t) everything works except I can't browse the internet or send/receive mms. I've been reading different things online tried many apns none worked FINALLY one worked my phone went to 4g I sent an mms and received one back and checked fb LOL this is what I used...
    APN: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY: mms.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    APN TYPE: default,supl,mms
    Then BAM as soon as I turned my Wi-Fi on 4g disappeared now there is an E? Not sure why I tried turning my Wi-Fi off and nothing can't do what I could just a minute ago PLEASE HELP I'm not sure if it's just because I have bad signal where I live or because the apn settings..

    Posted via Android Central App

    Posted via Android Central App
    The first thing you do when you switch to a new carrier is to input the new carriers apn settings
    http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...n#.U3PWhNAo6BY
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    if i currently have a new 4g lte chip in my straight talk phone do i still have to buy a new chip from straight talk if i want to use my current chip in a gs4?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by tmlogic View Post
    if i currently have a new 4g lte chip in my straight talk phone do i still have to buy a new chip from straight talk if i want to use my current chip in a gs4?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Do you mean sim card?? Yes you will need a new sim card as it simply provides the network identification and your access info for the network

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  21. #21  
    troshs's Avatar

    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Here's a tip tho...don't ever call their customer service for anything....I called one day to track an order and was on the phone for an hour each with 3 different reps who were silent the whole time and then passed me on to someone else. This was all in one call mind you.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    Here's a tip tho...don't ever call their customer service for anything....I called one day to track an order and was on the phone for an hour each with 3 different reps who were silent the whole time and then passed me on to someone else. This was all in one call mind you.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not to be a ****** but it also depends on your tone with them if you have a commanding tone your going to be shoved aside if you crack jokes and are respectful it goes alot further and faster you got to play their egos bro

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  23. #23  
    troshs's Avatar

    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts

    Default

    I didnt. I've worked in a call center before and I know what it's like on the other end of the phone. I still work in customer service to this day and know what I feel like when some customer comes in to my store screaming at me and ordering me around in a senseless hate. I also know that it's not that hard to track a package and when your call times go up someone yells at you and you get either wrote up or fired....shouldn't take 3 hrs to try and track a package then get hung up on after the statement "you will have to call back tomorrow." If the tracking number wasn't there, that's all they had to say. I don't use condescending tones with anyone who doesn't deserve it. That said, I am also not a "bro".

    Apologies to the OP for throwing this off topic. My mom's S4 that I set up last week on straight talk is fine except for MMS. Can send it but not receive it. I used the APN settings directly from their website. Now I'll have to sniff around on the Internet for other ones that might work.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    I didnt. I've worked in a call center before and I know what it's like on the other end of the phone. I still work in customer service to this day and know what I feel like when some customer comes in to my store screaming at me and ordering me around in a senseless hate. I also know that it's not that hard to track a package and when your call times go up someone yells at you and you get either wrote up or fired....shouldn't take 3 hrs to try and track a package then get hung up on after the statement "you will have to call back tomorrow." If the tracking number wasn't there, that's all they had to say. I don't use condescending tones with anyone who doesn't deserve it. That said, I am also not a "bro".

    Apologies to the OP for throwing this off topic. My mom's S4 that I set up last week on straight talk is fine except for MMS. Can send it but not receive it. I used the APN settings directly from their website. Now I'll have to sniff around on the Internet for other ones that might work.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks for the clarification I hope you get it all sorted

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Can I Get My AT&T S4 to Work on AT&T Straight Talk Network

    Yes just buy the sim for it gophone AT&T it works the same
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
  2. What's the best car charger for my Nexus 4?
    By kkjohn1984 in forum Nexus 4 Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 08:17 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 07:07 AM
  4. 5 Halloween Zombie games on Galaxy s4
    By TheAndroidizen in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 06:52 AM
  5. Help to make a App Design more Better
    By Guru99 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions