Android 4.4 Launcher

tmozer

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Being featured on CNet (How To) last night and not having much hope of KitKat available for this phone until after the New Years (hopefully), I decided to try the suggested install of the KitKat launcher and Google Search. I downloaded the three files needed and followed the instructions on installing them. I might have FU'ed, since the first file did not seem to sit well, but I went ahead with the install and still have no idea if I did something wrong.

Well the launcher and home screen/wigets, etc. are cool. Liked it a lot! Played around and set up a nice configuration. Also loved that at any time I could say "OK Google" and the voice activated search would launch. HOWEVER, Google Search would launch, provide search results but come up with a windows in the middle of the screen saying "Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped." with an OK button. You could not do anything but hit OK and then the search results would disappear. Happened with a voice search or keyboard search. Not good!

I googled the error message and found that it is problem, but not exactly how and why. One site said to clear the Google Search App cache and data. Did not help for me. I ended up (right before I was ready to do a factory reset) uninstalling all updates (in the Google Search App setup thingy). That worked and brought me back to the Android 4.2.2 launcher and Google Search I had before. Too bad, because I really liked the KitKat stuff!

I also did the KitKat screen keyboard update from Google Play. Not that happy with that keyboard. How do I get my old 4.2.2 keyboard back?