Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 backup on Mac

Hey all! Newbie here!

I switched from my iPhone 3GS (I know...super old) to the Samsung Galaxy S4 about 2 weeks ago. I want to be able to fully back up everything (pictures, texts, etc.) onto my Macbook Pro like I did with my iPhone through iTunes. Is there anyway to do that? I downloaded Kies, but it takes FOREVER to recognize and connect my phone and freezes...I'm very unimpressed. Especially with the update that just came out to Kies 3.0. Is there another program or any other way I can sync/backup my phone to my mac at all?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 backup on Mac

Hi and welcome..I don't know any other programs I used to use the same program on my MacBook Pro..On other npte what year is your MacBook??
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_p View Post
    Hey all! Newbie here!

I switched from my iPhone 3GS (I know...super old) to the Samsung Galaxy S4 about 2 weeks ago. I want to be able to fully back up everything (pictures, texts, etc.) onto my Macbook Pro like I did with my iPhone through iTunes. Is there anyway to do that? I downloaded Kies, but it takes FOREVER to recognize and connect my phone and freezes...I'm very unimpressed. Especially with the update that just came out to Kies 3.0. Is there another program or any other way I can sync/backup my phone to my mac at all?

Thanks in advance!
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I'm curious about this as well. I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I have not tried Kies on it because almost every post I read about Kies on a MacBook ends up stating basically what the OP stated.
    :: Now is the time in which my sanity can be questioned ::

I had issues when I tried running Kies previous to OSX Mavericks. Now it runs fine. But then there was also the new Kies update. Maybe clean off the Kies install and reinstall fresh.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's a 2010

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm...that's exactly what I did and still...nada. =/

Question Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 backup on Mac

I am going thru the same problem with my new S4! Great phone, but they took away USB mass storage. With past android phones, I used MyBackup Pro to backup up everything to the SD Card, then connected it via USB to my MacBookPro (3 years old, running OS 10.6.8) . It was easy to just copy everything to a backup file. I tried Kies thru USB and had 2 chat sessions with Samsung.. bottom line is that it's broken and they can't tell me when a working version will be available! I got it to stay running long enough to do a backup on "all", but it wasn't anywhere close to all, only amounted to less than 1 GB and I have about 20GB just on the SDCard.

Has anyone had any luck with Android file transfer?

Do I have to take out the SDCard, put it in an adaptor, plug it into the Mac's SD slot and copy it using finder? Klunky, but it works.

This phone is supposed to support USB Hosting and USB on the go, but Verizon is cluless as to what those even are.

Any insights will be much appreciated.