Using At&t GS4 with Rogers, Updating issues

koushtj

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully i am posting this in the right section. Here is a quick look at my situation. Couple of weeks ago while visiting family in the US i picked up a Galaxy S4 locked to at&t, brought it back to Canada and had it unlocked. Have been using it since without any problems. Now here is the problem. I am obviously on Android 4.2.2 and i know that AT&T and Rogers have 4.3 available at the moment. Well when i try to update firmware on Kies i get the "your devices current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies" . When i try the OTA from the phone its under software update but then AT&T software update. once i check for updates i get software update interrupted message. Can this be because i have a Rogers sim and the phone wants to connects to at&t server? I also have basic AT&T apps that come with the phone such as(Drive mode, Family map, Locker, etc.) Is there a way to somehow switch the OS to the Rogers version? Id appreciate any advice at this point. Switched from an iPhone and couldn't be any happier.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-02-00-14-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-02-00-14-34.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 30

Lucky7Phone

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same situation. I also got an AT&T branded S4 and using it on Rogers and it's not updating on Kies. I've gotten a firmware via Kies before so I don't see any reason why I wouldn't get the OS update. However, I don't get the message that you got on Kies though. Mine just says what my phone's current version is and the latest version that is available and they both have the same version number.

ldscalgaryguy

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using an AT&T Galaxy Note 2 on Rogers. I've go the same issue. can't do OTA since I'm not on the AT&T network. Kies also says that 4.1.2 is the latest firmware. I emailed Samsung and they said that the update will not be available on Kies... that makes no sense whatsoever. Why would some carriers decide to not update Kies if they have done it in the past. In fact, I belive the 4.1 update for the Galaxy Note 2 on AT&T was Kies only. No OTA option.

Anyhow, it sounds like my only option is to wait for the firmware to be uploaded to sammobile and then flash with ODIN. Can anyone confirm that I can keep my phone unrooted using ODIN? I use a corporate email application (Good for Enterprise) that will not work if the device get's rooted.

koushtj

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Kinda frustrating that updating the OS isnt as easy as the iPhone. Yet again I'd still never go back to an iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Simple explanation at&t is region based the second you connect to a us tower you will get the update until then it sees your country code as Canada and therefore will not push the upgrade you have to trick the server into thinking your on us soil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Same with Kies region lock at&t has Samsung under contract for that.. The only way you can manipulate this is to root

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Lucky7Phone

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
bump! how's everyone doing?

Now that KitKat is out, did the OP or anyone else gave up waiting for an official update and decided to root? I am reading up on the stuff now and there are so many ways of doing this.

@metle_geek

so what you're saying is that if I get simply root my phone and use kies like I normally would, I would get the official update from AT&T?

koushtj

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
bump! how's everyone doing?

Now that KitKat is out, did the OP or anyone else gave up waiting for an official update and decided to root? I am reading up on the stuff now and there are so many ways of doing this.

@metle_geek

so what you're saying is that if I get simply root my phone and use kies like I normally would, I would get the official update from AT&T?

Ended up flashing 4.4 manually. How can we change the region lock so in the future I receive OTA updates?

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Ended up flashing 4.4 manually. How can we change the region lock so in the future I receive OTA updates?

You cant at&t has to do that and no you root and use odin official.tar files and manually flash it WARNING ALL DATA ON THE INTERNAL SD WILL BE LOST SO ROOT AND USE TITANIUM BACKUP TO BACKUP YOUR APPS AND USE THE CLOUD OR OPEN A FOLDER TO BACK UP EVERYTHING ELSE PICS TEXT YOU GET THE IDEA (NO ROOT REQUIRED FOR THESE) SMS BACKUP AND RESTORE AND CALL LOG BACKUP AND RESTORE

must have unlocked boot loaders!!