Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigation Options??

I have not used my AT&T S4 for navigation yet, but plan to when I take a trip next week. Apparently there are a couple choices (Google Maps, AT&T Navigation, maybe more??). Which would I be best off using?

Default Re: Navigation Options??

AT&T Navigation cost 9.95 per month..... I prefer Google Maps / Navigation.

There are more but the free option of Google maps is the best.

Waze is a great choice too. I use Waze and Google maps both depending on mood. But Waze is unique in that it's users are encouraged to report accidents, road hazards, police locations etc.. while driving. Very useful stuff and free.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by xisruno View Post
    AT&T Navigation cost 9.95 per month..... I prefer Google Maps / Navigation.

There are more but the free option of Google maps is the best.
    OK, I did not know about the charge. I guess I activated it, even though I have not used it. How do I cancel?

FYI Google acquired Waze and will be integrating their technology soon into Maps.

Sent while enjoying a Pabst

Quote Originally Posted by btswein View Post
    FYI Google acquired Waze and will be integrating their technology soon into Maps.

Hadn't heard that. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro

I have been using both Maps and AT&T Navigator. I have just today canceled the service from AT&T. Maps is much better. Prior to the 4.3 updates there was another system but I lost it during the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I am assuming that I am still in my "free" first month for AT&T Navigator and will be requested to signup after that period before I am charged??

You need to call AT&T to make sure it is canceled. Also request an email or text to confirm.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

google maps and waze integrated into one!? couldn't ask for anything better

I've been one who has actually liked AT&T Navigator and has paid for it for the last couple years. I just recently found Scout, which is an app from Telenav. AT&T Navigator is ALSO from Telenav, and so far the apps seem very close, even the voice for turn by turn navigation is the same. Big difference - the full-featured paid version of Scout is $25 per year, vs. $9.95 per month for AT&T Navigator!
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I tried navigation for the first time last night using Google navigation. Not bad. Like my Garmin Nuvi better, but the S4 navigation is certainly usable. One thing that concerns me is that apparently you have to have data turned on. How much would any of the navigations apps be sucking from my data plan? Do they all need mobile data turned on (the whole trip)?
    Thanked by:
    randun 

Quote Originally Posted by tem#AC View Post
    I tried navigation for the first time last night using Google navigation. Not bad. Like my Garmin Nuvi better, but the S4 navigation is certainly usable. One thing that concerns me is that apparently you have to have data turned on. How much would any of the navigations apps be sucking from my data plan? Do they all need mobile data turned on (the whole trip)?
    Got to have something to feed you the navigation data through the phone. Unless you have some type of roaming WiFi device in your vehicle, your data plan is the only alternative. I'm lucky as I'm unlimited.

I've yet to figure out how to do it, but you can pre-cache your destination (it must work, since it knows where you're going in a tunnel.) That said, I drove 1400 miles using Google Nav and used less than 200 MB.

Quote Originally Posted by btswein View Post
    I've yet to figure out how to do it, but you can pre-cache your destination (it must work, since it knows where you're going in a tunnel.) That said, I drove 1400 miles using Google Nav and used less than 200 MB.
    If you did that, you wouldn't have live updates available in case you had to change your route.

Quote Originally Posted by randun View Post
    If you did that, you wouldn't have live updates available in case you had to change your route.

Correct. I'm not sure how it works when you deviate, but you can cache a destination I believe.

The entire United States down to foot trails will fit on a 4.7gb DVD (I have one), so the whole country could easily be preloaded on a 16 or 32gb device, or an SD card. The REAL reason they don't want you to do that is that you will use less of your data package if you do. They eliminated the mobile data button on the new Android update for the same reason (they told me so).
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well I just came back from a trip where I had hoped to use my phone for some serious navigation around Northern NJ. I left my Nuvi at home. Never again. The S4's GPS was erratic. Half the time when I asked Google Now verbally to navigate me somewhere I got a web page suggestion instead of a navigation map.
    I'm sure I will make use of the phone navigation in a pinch. But for any serious navigation, I will bring my Garmin Nuvi with me!

Did you use the "navigate" command when doing it verbally? If you say "find" instead of navigate, it usually goes to the Web. Also, if it can't understand what you're saying (lots of background noise from the stereo and or windows down), it will do a Web search for the misunderstood name. I had the same problem at first, but learned how to treat the broad so she knows her place and gives me the answers I want...know what I mean? :P
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

One thing I did believe I figured out is that you have to include the city and state with the desired destination. If I just said "Navigate to Union County Courthouse" I got the web listing. However if I said "Navigate to Union County Courthouse, Elizabeth, NJ" I was rewarded with navigation.

Will something like (I did not try this) "Navigate to Newark Liberty International Airport Newark NJ - no tolls" work to give me directions that don't use, say, the NJ Turnpike?

Okay, the reason your Union County Courthouse destination went to Web search is either because there are multiple Union County Courthouses in the map database, and it didn't know which one you wanted, or the name wasn't exactly like that in the database.

Usually when I am going to someplace like Walmart, or some other place with a common name, I say Find Walmart and then it gives me a list of the closest ones in distance order. I can then click on the one I want from the list, which saves me from having to know the city my target is in (I usually wouldn't for unanticipated stops on a trip). If I know the city of the place, I do what you do with Navigate Walmart Glen Ellyn. I have found it is pretty good at figuring out the intended target from city name only.

Wish I could help you with the avoid toll roads thing because it is an easy option on a Garmin, but I have an Ipass and take the toll roads whenever I can. :P lol Sorry.

Google maps has the option to use toll roads or not.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by jmagid51 View Post
    Google maps has the option to use toll roads or not.
    Nice, but can that sort of thing be specified via a voice command?

Any new news on when Google will launch its own version of Waze?