Need SIM to Update OS

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My S4 is still running 4.2.x and currently I don't have a SIM installed.
Q: Can I use a friend's AT&T SIM so I can receive the OTA update? Will this cause any problems later?
I cam currently using an iPhone which uses the nano SIM so I cannot use my own.

Thank for any info.

-Rich

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My S4 is still running 4.2.x and currently I don't have a SIM installed.
Q: Can I use a friend's AT&T SIM so I can receive the OTA update? Will this cause any problems later?
I cam currently using an iPhone which uses the nano SIM so I cannot use my own.

Thank for any info.

-Rich
Have you tried connecting the device to a PC and updating with the Kies desktop client? If not, that should get you updated without a SIM. Otherwise, yes, borrow a SIM and see if the OTA will push to the device (it might not be immediate). There should not be future problems if you decide to remove the SIM.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Kies hasn't been updated to work with 4.2.2 let alone 4.3. It will just tell you it can't find your model and it can't be upgraded via Kies.

As long as their SIM is a 4G LTE SIM, I don't see the problem. Just make sure you don't transfer any of their stuff from their SIM to your phone (do people still put things on the SIM, lol?) If they're not a smartphone, I wouldn't do it, they'll encounter charges.

Other than that, I can't see an issue.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have just installed Kies and it doesn't find any updates. Do I need to find the 4.3 Update first on ATT&T somewhere?

-Rich

Have you tried connecting the device to a PC and updating with the Kies desktop client? If not, that should get you updated without a SIM. Otherwise, yes, borrow a SIM and see if the OTA will push to the device (it might not be immediate). There should not be future problems if you decide to remove the SIM.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Earlier today I got a new SIM card for my S4 but the OTA update is not available yet. I tried restarting the phone but no luck yet. I am still on 4.2.2.

-Rich

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally got an Update today. It was 357 MB in size. After restarting my phone, the OS still reads as 4.2.2. I can't check for an update for another 24 hours. One difference I noticed is there is a "Continue Update" underneath the Check Update link but it's grayed out.

Should I expect another AT&T update tomorrow?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Posted via Android Central App